What You Want to Be (되고 싶은 바랬던 그게)

Cart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Shuhua, I have something to tell you."

Shuhua squeezes Miyeon's hand lightly, signalling that she's listening.

"What is it, Unnie?"

Miyeon swallows her saliva, the gears in her head churning, formulating the best way to spill her feelings.

Maybe she should have thought this through before declaring that she had something to say.

But the show must go on, she's already started anyway.

"The past few months have been amazing."

"And that's because I've met you." Miyeon says while looking at her lap, still slightly conscious of her words.

At this point, Shuhua knows what's coming. She's young, she's inexperienced, but she's not dumb. Her relationship with Miyeon wasn't just a "best friend" thing.

Shuhua is aware of the looks that Miyeon gives her when she thinks she isn't looking. Shuhua is aware of the effort that Miyeon puts in just to spend some time with her despite IDLE's hectic schedules.

Shuhua lets herself anticipate what Miyeon was about to say. She lets herself hope.

Under the vast sky, with barely anyone around, the atmosphere felt strangely intimate.

Miyeon plays with hem of her shirt, trying to calm her nerves. She's never done this before, used to being at the receiving end of confessions.

"So, what I'm trying to say is that uhm I'm happy that I have met you because you make me feel...happy."

Shuhua could hear the nervousness in Miyeon's voice and she almost wants to make fun of the singer for it. But she herself is shaking, her heart hammering against her chest at Miyeon's words.

Miyeon breathes deeply before she turns towards Shuhua suddenly, clasping their hands together in a burst of confidence.

"I like you. A lot. I like you a lot."

"Unnie..."

"I'm inexperienced and I have lots to learn when it comes to love."

The older girl tightens her grip on Shuhua's hand. The younger girl's presence provides a sense of comfort, knowing that she's there and listening to her shy and messy declaration.

"My job requires me to be someone's ideal. I'm watched closely, expected to be at my best image the whole time. There are things I'm not supposed to do right now. But it happened anyway."

Shuhua listens closely, her heart racing at the singer's words.

"Falling for you wasn't part of the plan," Miyeon chuckles lightly, "but it was so natural to love you."

"Are you sure that it's okay for you to tell me this?" the younger girl asks.

She knows exactly what her heart wants of course. Likewise, it was so natural to fall in love with the older girl.

Miyeon only smiles in response, Shuhua was always so considerate.

She loosens her grip on Shuhua's hands. She's sure that the younger girl could feel how sweaty her palms were getting from the nerves that were building up within her. Then, she pats her knees, pretending to dust off some imaginary dirt while subtly drying her palms. The singer stands up and takes a tiny step forward before whipping her head around to look at Shuhua.

"I thought about this for a long time, I just had to tell you what I feel. My heart feels like it's about to burst everytime I'm with you."

Me too, Unnie.

The singer reaches into her pocket, pulling out a crumpled sticky note. Shuhua isn't even sure if it could be called a "sticky" note still, considering how it seems to barely stick on Miyeon's palm.

"I don't expect anything from you. You don't need to do anything about this...heart of mine."

Miyeon reaches for Shuhua's hand again, gently pulling Shuhua's fingers to open her hand. Miyeon places the crumpled sticky note on Shuhua's palm and closes it. Her own hand lingering on the younger girl's before pulling away.

"So don't worry about anything."

"Anyway, that's the last one.You can read it."

Shuhua unravels the crumpled paper to reveal the words.

What you want to be.

"I didn't really know what else to ask you anymore but I guess I thought I could just find out a little more about you. Your dreams, whatever you wanted to be. And I'll do my best to help you too." Miyeon says as she shuffles around, shifting the weight of her body from feet to feet.

Shuhua didn't really know what to say and how to start. So much happened and her mind was a mess.

Miyeon Unnie likes me...oh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter