Chapter 6

First Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Here you go,” Irene pushed a paper bag towards Wendy, she looked at her in question, wondering what it could be when she took a peek of its content, “Oh!” Wendy looked up in surprise, it was her navy blue coat. She completely forgot that she lent it to Irene last week. Wendy looked back at Irene with a smile, thanking her for bringing her coat back.

 

 

They were seated inside the warm confines of a Korean restaurant, 30-minute drive from Seulgi’s apartment. The soft glow of the lamps adorning the restaurant gave off a great warm ambiance to the place. The restaurant, a place of comfort for those who want to dine with their loved ones, Irene looked ethereal in front of Wendy. The woman in a sky blue off-shoulder dress falling just above the knee, her jet-black hair falling in cascading waves behind her back, a part of it tucked behind an ear, showing off a studded earring sparkling under the lights. 

 

 

After that call earlier, Wendy didn’t have the time to get home and dress better before meeting her. Thinking that time is of utmost important and just gave a squeak of a ‘Yes’ to Irene’s invitation. Wendy felt underdressed in her black hoody, black cap, and denim jeans, looking like someone who just rolled out of bed like that, she felt a bit self-conscious under the other woman’s scrutiny. Irene thought differently, though. “I think like this Wendy better,” she thought, smiling warmly at the younger girl.

 

 


A cough, “You didn’t have to treat me to dinner just for the coat, Irene,” Wendy said, taking off her cap whilst patting her hair self-consciously. She didn’t notice the awed stare from her companion, completely mesmerized at the simple gesture. Wendy noticed the silence from her companion, she stopped her actions, looking over at the other woman. Features painted with soft, warm smile, the lighting from the restaurant making her skin glow, Wendy felt dry up at Irene’s expression. She lifted a hand to cover , coughing softly in her hand get the woman’s attention.

 

 

Irene startled a bit, clearing before answering with a soft, “But I want to, if you don’t mind.” She looked timid, making Wendy chuckle at the other woman’s answer, “No, I don’t.”

 

 

Before Irene could answer, a waiter interrupted their conversation, giving them leather-board bound menus. “You can choose whatever you want. It’s my treat,” Irene told her, with a smile. Wendy nodded her head, looking over at the menu before giving her order. After giving her order, she looked over at her companion, noticing the same smile she gave earlier. It made her feel warm and embarrassed. Irene looked at her with the kind of eyes that makes you feel exposed, warmed and thrilled at the same time, the butterflies in her stomach fluttering. 

 

 

The waiter left the table, their order taking a few minutes before it gets done. The table was quiet but not awkward, both in their own thoughts. Wendy feeling a bit shy at being alone with Irene, while Irene looked at her unabashed, happy that she finally get to see her after so many days.

 

 

“I’m sorry I only got to contact you now,” Irene broke the silence, looking at Wendy with a contrite expression. “No, no. It’s okay. I figured you must be busy,” Wendy was quick to wave away her apology, smiling warmly at Irene like it didn’t matter. She’s just really happy she was able to see the older woman, glad even, that’s she’s in the same space with her. 

 

 

“I’m really glad you invited me for dinner. I didn’t expect you’d reach out to me like this,” Wendy said, her smile a show of genuine happiness at Irene’s invitation. Irene shook her head at the younger girl, “I’ve been meaning to ask you after I got my coat, but I was swamped with work. I’m really happy you didn’t decline me tonight.”

 

 

“It’s hard to say no to you,” Wendy blurted out, surprise painting her features at her boldness. She looked at Irene, the other woman fluttering her eyes, mouth shaped like an ‘O’ at hearing her statement. Wendy heard Irene chuckled softly, “If that’s the case,” they stared at each other, before the older woman continued, “I hope this won’t be the last.” They stare at each other, none of them breaking eye contact, both feeling warm and happy to be with the other, without context for now.

 

 

The waiter finally arrived with their orders, breaking their eye contact but the flutters were left, the atmosphere dancing with that tension. Plates and bowls food were placed in front them, the soft clinks of utensils, the aroma from their food permeating their table, making their stomach grumble at the sight of food. They looked at each other after the waiter disappeared, Irene motioning at Wendy to dig in. Wendy ate her food, savoring the tasted with her eyes widening at the taste while Irene laughed at her expression. 

 

 

“This is so great!” Wendy said after a mouthful, grinning at Irene happily. Irene nodded at her with a smile, agreeing with the girl’s statement. They dug in their food with such enthusiasm only good friends share. The slight tension from earlier replaced with joyful expressions and awed reactions at the taste of the food. They ate like that for a while, both not noticing the time that passed, tasting food from each other’s plate, just happy at the company.

 


A ring cut through their happy meal, both wondering where the noise was coming from, when Wendy felt the vibrations in her hoody pocket. She looked at Irene, asking for permission to take the call, the older woman nodding her head, before Wendy slide the icon to receive the call.

 

 

“Hello?” Wendy answered, “Wannie!” It was Seulgi, “Seul! What’s up?” she said, dabbing a napkin in the corner of her lips, looking over at her companion, who seemed to have lost her appetite, fork plate with a stray bean on her plat.

 

 

“What do you mean ‘what’s up!’?” Seulgi retorted, “Where are you? You left us without a note,” the older girl continued. Oh, Wendy forgot to tell her friends she’s leaving, which means she also didn’t finis

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter