Chapter 21

First Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

February 21, 2020
10:00AM

 

 

The room buzzed with a nervous tension. All the people seated behind the pews waited with bated breaths, watching as the judge mull over the evidences presented, the witness who recounted their accounts with regards to the case filed against Park Bogum. The man behind the harassment case filed by Irene Bae that opened opportunities for all those almost forgotten – buried – cases against him.

 

 

The group of friends – Irene, Wendy, Seulgi, Joy, Yeri and Sunmi – sat, frozen on their seats as the judge toyed with the gavel, expression pensive.

 


“Do you think Bogum found a chance to bribe the judge?” Joy asked, whispered in a voice only the five could hear.

 


“I hope not,” Sunmi replied, “Saeron did mention that they made sure the judge who’ll lead the proceedings is one of the most unbiased figures of authority in the state. The jury, though, I don’t know how they decide that.”

 


 “Just trust Saeron. They’ve been handled this case for months now and now that they finally got the chance to put this guy behind bars, there’s no way he should be found innocent,” Yeri said, clenching and unclenching her hands on her lap.

 


Wendy just listened to her friends talk about why’s the judge taking too long to decide the verdict, her sight mostly set on the girl next to her, noticing how Joohyun barely said anything since the whole proceedings started. Saeron said there was no need for them to be there since Irene’s statement and the security camera was enough of an evidence for the case. But Joohyun insisted that she be there.

 


She’s been drilling holes in the back of her assailant’s head. That much Wendy can empathize, Irene wanted to make sure Bogum gets what he deserves and if being here right now can appease her anxiety then Wendy wanted to lend her support.

 


“Hyun,” she pulled the hand she’s been holding closer to get her attention, clammy with sweat that she didn’t mind, Joohyun turned her head to look at her, eyes reflecting the nervous tension she’s feeling, “I’m here – we’re  here, it’s gonna be fine,” Wendy smiled at her, when she felt the latter clench her hand firmly in response.

 


The hushed whispers of all the people, the harsh flash of the camera’s documenting the event, made the friends sat up straighter in their seats as the judge called out the jury to ask for the verdict. The defendant (Park Bogum) and the defense counsel (Atty. Lee) was told to stand.

 

 

“Members of the jury, have you reached a verdict?” the judge asked in a booming voice, Irene almost flinched at the resounding voice filled with authority.

 


The jury spokesman stood up and replied, “Yes, Your Honor, we have.”

 


“Members of the Jury, on the Case of Park Bogum vs. the Republic of South Korea, what do you say?” the judge asked, hands underneath his chin as he watched the jury murmur before saying:

 


“Your Honor, the members of this Jury find the defendant GUILTY!”

 

 


At the sound of the word ‘guilty’ Irene released the breath she wasn’t aware she was holding, looking down at the hand holding her own, before her eyes seek the owner, b with tears as she choked back a sob. She heard the judge dismiss the jury but she couldn’t care less as the sound of the gavel hitting the block was tuned out, her senses attuned only to Seungwan, who smiled at her with so much warmth, happiness sparkling in her soft brown orbs.

 

 


She felt the latter momentarily let go of her hand, as she placed both hands to cup her face, connecting their foreheads together. The action more intimate than the kiss they shared a week ago.

 

 


“Hyun.”

 

 


“Wan.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Saeron was watching the proceedings by the door with Yoojung, casually leaning by the wall next to it. She barely heard what was said, she knows about all of it anyway. They’re just there to do one last thing before they could call this case as done.

 

 


“I can feel him trembling all the way from here, ‘Ron,” Yoojung chuckled, covering to not disturb the trial, she smirked, not bothering to reply to her partner.

 


“I was already thinking of making him roommates with Big Boy Tim,” she turned to look at Yoojung, amusement barely escaping from as she chuckled lightly.

 


“He’ll never be able to get a single wink if you do that, Yooj.”

 

 

“That’s the least of our problems, don’t you think?”

 

 


Saeron shook her head at Yoojung, she’s not bent on stopping her anyway. Once her partner decides on what to do, there’s no stopping her. And to think Big Boy Tim is only pliant to Yoojung, she thought, wondering what her partner did to scare that guy.

 

 


“Here they come,” Yoojung got off the wall, almost bouncing on the soles of her feet, smiling lopsidedly at her, she rolled her eyes at her partner before putting on a more serious face.

 


They meet Bogum by the aisle, holding his right arm as Yoojung held the left, securing the guy on both sides – not like he can escape. She briefly met Yeri’s eyes, sending the latter a wink before pulling Bogum along, the guy’s heavy steps bearing down on them.

 

 


“How was it seeing your victims on the witness stand, Park Bogum-sshi?” she heard Yoojung asked, her partner’s face not betraying any expression.

 

 


Bogum didn’t respond, his eyes looking more dull and soulless – like he just lost every reason to live.

 

 


Yoojung leaned closer by his ears, “Don’t worry, Bogum-sshi. Your roommate will be so pleased to meet you.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“So, do you guys wanna grab some late lunch or something, that trial did a number to me,” Sunmi said, patting her stomach for emphasis.

 

 


“Should we head out to a family restaurant, someone apparently forgot to mention to the rest about what today is,” Joy smirked, hiding behind a laughing Seulgi.

 

 


“What do you mean, unnie?” Yeri asked, pocketing her phone catching the tail end of the conversation after messaging Saeron, eyeing a confused Joohyun who’s linking arms with Seungwan, the latter rolling her eyes at what Joy said.

 

 


“Does it have something to do with Wendy?” Sunmi asked, after looking over at the couple, amusement clear in their eyes as the woman in que

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter