Chapter 17

First Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Babe, bring some soju and yakult will ya? I love you

 

 


Saeron stared at the message her girlfriend just sent her, brows furrowed trying to make some sense why Yeri’s asking for those when she’s supposed to be consoling her boss and her friend now. She wanted to reply and ask why but thought against it, sighing as she locked her phone and placed it on the passenger seat next to her bag, buckling her seatbelt before leaving the stations premises. 

 

 


Looks like she’ll be visiting the convenience store nearby, she thought, smiling, ‘maybe I should bring some tteokbokkie too, Yerim would love that.’

 

 


***

 

 

 

 

“Hey guys.”

 

 


Seungwan greeted the four individual who’s bickering, scratching her head in confusion at the group’s chaotic display in Irene’s doorstep. Yeri put down her hand, shrugging Sunmi’s hand on her shoulder before winking at the older girl, stepping forward to greet Seungwan who looked like she’s been through four levels of calamity, clothes ruffled and hair in disarray.

 

 

 


“Hey, unnie. You look like you’ve been through a lot,” Yeri greeted, smiling sympathetically at the short-haired brunette.

 

 


“Tell me about it,” Seungwan replied, ushering the group in before locking the door.

 

 


“Where’s Joohyun unnie? Is she okay?” Sunmi asked, question directed at Seungwan who’s currently being checked up on by Joy, the taller girl fussing at her unnie’s current state.

 

 


“She kinda fainted earlier. She’s sleeping at her room right now,” Seungwan answered, while Joy took her to the couch and continued to fussed over her, frowning in concern at the shorter brunette’s injury, pressing at her knuckles, making Seungwan pull her hand away from Joy’s prying hands, face contorted in a grimace.

 

 


“That’s what you get for jumping into the line of fire again,” Joy said, scolding her unnie after putting one last pressure on her injured knuckles, ‘aww Joy!’ her only response before the taller girl turned to Sunmi.

 

 


“Unnie, you should go check up on Irene unnie. I brought her some medicines that could help wake her up, she’ll need it,” Joy told Sunmi, handing her a medicine box with various medicine and injections, making face at the taller girl, unable to come up with a smart reply as to why she has all this medication which Joy just shrugged at, advising her on what to do and that she’d follow after she’s done fussing with Seungwan.

 

 

 

Head in a daze at all the medical knowledge that Joy just drilled into her, she turned her back and proceeded to go to Irene’s room, hearing once last cry from Seungwan as the taller girl manhandled her.

 

 


Sunmi noticed that Irene’s door seems ajar, tilting her head in confusion before pushing it open.

 

 

 

“Yerim,” she called out, Sunmi didn’t notice the youngest left their group and went ahead to the room.

 

 

 

Yeri didn’t reply to Sunmi’s call as she sat on Irene’s side, fixing the blanket drape over her unnie’s sleeping figure. Irene looked so peaceful asleep but if you look closer, her eyes rimmed red, lashes moist, tears leaking on the edges. Yeri felt her chest constrict at the sight of her unnie, breath hitching as she tried to control her own tears.

 

 

 

She felt a hand on her shoulder, making her flinch before brushing her eyes with the back of her hand. Yeri took a deep breath, turning to look at the person behind her, “Unnie.”

 

 


“You alright, there?” Sunmi asked, voice laced with concerned and lips pursed in a thin line at the youngest glistening eyes.

 

 


“N-No,” Yeri said, voice breaking as her body rock with uncontrollable sobs. Sadness ripping her apart as she hang her head low to hide the tears that she can’t seem to stop streaming down her face.

 

 

 

Contrary to Yeri’s mischievous personality and how she may look like she enjoys every bit of hardship Bogum is facing at the moment, hearing the news of what happened to Irene and seeing the aftermath of what transpired hours ago, she can’t help the sadness and the pain at the state of her unnie.

 

 


“Hey, hey, hey,” Sunmi put down the medicine box in her hands before pulling the younger girl for a hug, whispering comforting words like ‘shh she’ll be fine Yerim ah, Irene unnie is strong, please stop crying’ tone cracking on the edges as she felt her own eyes smart.

 

 


It took a while before Yeri calmed down, the younger girl’s eyes and her own rimmed red, unable to look at each other after parting, embarrassment creeping in their cheeks at that brief moment of vulnerability. That was the first time they cried while hugging each other – first of the many, as they sought comfort in each other.

 

 

 

“What happened to you two?”

 

 

 

Joy walked in on them like that. Looking away from each other face flushed and streaked with tears. Walking closer to them with Seungwan following on her heels, peeking behind Joy’s shoulder as the taller girl towered over the Sunmi and Yeri.

 


“Nothing,” they both replied, Sunmi stood up as Joy came closer to the bed.

 

 

 

“Were you able to do apply meds to her, unnie?” Joy asked, sitting to the side of the bed once occupied by Sunmi.

 

 

 

“No, sorry Joy,” Sunmi said, looking apologetically at the taller girl, Joy just coolly waved away her apology, picking up the medicine box on the table.

 

 


Sunmi felt a hand on her elbow, “That’s fine Sunmi unnie. Joy’s more than capable in handling this,” she looked at Seungwan, the shorter brunette looking a lot brighter and less haggard than earlier, Sunmi nodded her head her, touching her nose with a sniff, an embarrassed habit before returning a smile to Seungwan.

 

 

 

“Unnie, what happened to your hand?”

 

 

 

Yeri touched Seungwan’s other hand, wrapped in bandage, the bruises coloring her fingers an ugly shade of violet, “It’s just a minor injury,” laughing sheepishly before pulling her hand away, afraid that Yeri might do what Joy did earlier. 

 

 

 

Joy casted her a dirty look, shaking her head at her before saying, “It won’t be minor, if I’m the one to inflict another on you,” Seungwan had the nerve to feign shock at her comment, she ignored the shorter brunette, busying herself with taking care of Irene.

 

 


“Where’s Seulgi unnie?” Yeri asked, when the room quieted down noticing one of their friend is not in the room.

 

 

 

“She’s in the living room preparing to camp here,” Seungwan replied, as she walked over Joy and watched as the taller girl pressed Joohyun’s chin.

 

 


Joy might look like a strong, independent woman, a bit bold and unassuming, with a snarky mouth and can be sarcastic depending on how you approach her but she’s always been the type to show that she's strong outside but soft on the inside. She tries not to show her emotions that much, new people would often be met with an air of intimidation but when you get to know her better, her smiles can be your greatest achievement.

 

 


Seungwan remembered that time during their summer break back in middle school when she and Seulgi decided to visit Joy on a whim. She was just done with her Taekwando practice, though her body is sore and new bruises formed on her knees, she agreed when Seulgi suggested the idea.

 

 

 

Sadly, when they got there Joy’s mom told them the girl isn’t around.

 

 

 

They went back on their way after bidding goodbye to Joy’s mom, when Joy suddenly appeared, walking in their direction. She smiled widely at her friends, backpack swinging behind her back as she excitedly went over to them.

 

 

 

“Hey! What are you doing here?” Joy greeted them, eyes crunching with how happy she is to see her friends.

 

 

 

“We came to visit you but Aunt Park said you weren’t home. Where have you been, anyway?” Seungwan said, walking behind Joy as she noticed the big backpack she wore.

 

 

 

“Oh, that,” Joy pulled the straps of her bag closer when Seungwan fiddled with the top of backpack.

 

 

 

“Joy, what’s this?” Seulgi went closer to the then just about her height Joy, pointing at the dark stains on Joy sky blue shirt. Joy walked a step back away from Seulgi’s hand, nervously fidgeting with the stains the older girl just pointed.

 

 

 

“It’s some coloring. Y-Yeah, just some coloring, don’t worry,” Joy stammered in reply.

 

 

 


“Joy! You’re back! How’s was your first-aid training? Did you enjoy it?”

 

 


Joy’s mom chose that moment to show up, making her face palm in embarrassment. Seungwan and Seulgi didn’t know she’s been going to first-aid trainings since the start of summer she opted to keep it a secret from them. In her mind, she wants to surprise her friends about her knowledge when she’s actually just embarrassed to share

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter