New Inmate

Crime Passionnel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN:  No one saw it, right?

Yeah, no one did. Okay, let's go~ 🙄

 

 

10

 

       Yujin found herself standing in front of a house, looking at the closed door and tinted windows, contemplating whether should she press the doorbell button or should just drive somewhere not here.

 

 

But despite of nervousness, she decided to go on. She was about to lift her hand and press the doorbell, but the door opened and the owner already caught her, and…

 

 

“Yujin?”  Quickly recognized her.

 

 

“What are you doing here?”  So, she just went with the flow and took the chance. She has a purpose anyway.

 

 

“Sakura… u-unnie…”  She’s not sure of how to address the person, but she’s glad when,  “Come in,”  Sakura invited her in.

 

 

The prosecutor guided her to the not so big house, or perhaps, too big for a single person living, and she felt the coldness embracing her body as soon as she took a step inside.

 

 

“What do you want? Juice, tea, or coffee?”

 

 

“Anything will do, thank you.”  Sakura just nodded and pointed the sofa in the living room, indirectly stating to feel free to take a seat while she prepares something for the visitor.

 

 

Yujin watched the prosecutor walk to the open kitchen, make two cups of what seems to be are coffees. And it feels empty, the whole house and even with the owner there. All you can hear is the air conditioner and the teaspoon hitting the glass as the prosecutor stirs the drink.

 

 

This is not how she’s supposed to feel, this is not how it should be. After years in their college years, Sakura had been a fun friend to be with, although she’s older, the prosecutor would goof around and tease them like they are all in the same age.

 

 

And for Yujin, or for many from their circle of friends actually – it is honestly, overwhelming how Sakura is treating them coldly, would not even contact them or reply to their messages. And she wonders what may be the reason until earlier, when she had a talk with someone important to the prosecutor, everything was clarified then…

 

 

 

 

“Good afternoon, Ma’am. Here’s your slice of blueberry cheesecake and a medium cup of snow shake. Enjoy~”  Eunbi gave out a warm smile to the staff and slightly bowed her head before turning her attention to her food.
 

 

The day is pretty tiring, reviewing files and such, she can feel her shoulders burning more in each and every minute that would pass by. Add to the stress, or probably, the main cause of stress is that, it is only yesterday when she was able to prove that Yujin is innocent, she has done well, but she's unsettled, if she would be honest. Something that had been bothering her is the conversation she had with Sakura last night…

 

 

The question, “Do you really think it is Minjoo?” didn’t leave her mind, even though she fought so much to point it out not only in the court, but as well as to Sakura that evening.

 

 

But as silence occupied her before that night ends, as she was left alone – she, herself, questioned her findings.

 

 

It is still Minjoo that the evidences are pointing, but right…

Minjoo is the purest they know and to whatever actions she might take, there is a reason behind it. And she lacks in evidences to fully push MInjoo out of freedom and that hole, is creating another hole to the same case wtith a different accussed suspect.

 

 

Eunbi wondered starting last night when Sakura turned her back against her and left, driving a car, and the same thoughts and questions are running in her head. She spaced out, sitting alone at a table for two, unconsciously and blankly staring at her piece of cake, till…

 

 

“Unnie…”

 

 

She heard a familiar voice, a voice that sounds confident and strong before, but came out so fragile jus a second ago.

 

 

“Yujin?”  Yujin gave the senior defense lawyer a smile and sat on the chair across the latter.

 

 

“Y-You’re… wearing a semi-formal attire, you're already going to work? I didn’t notice you.”  Eunbi asked, looking at the young one, who looks like ready to go to work.

 

 

And yes, Yujin nodded and again, shaped a smile on her lips – small and painful, it looks.

 

 

Silence hugged them both, all they can hear was some chatters around just inside the place. Soon enough, as they both stare at the table, Eunbi heard a chuckle and that’s when her gaze lifted to the eyes of the devastated soul.

 

 

Lonely, or perhaps, empty, her eyes depicts nothing but lifelessness of who she was before things in current time happened.

 

 

“Snowshake…”  Yujin mumbled, looking at the said drink.

 

 

“That’s her favorite… ever since college, we always order that here.”  Yujin can remember every bit of Minjoo’s likes and dislikes, she can even remember how the latter dislikes coffee but ended up wanting for more after frequently having a taste of it.

 

 

Eunbi remained quiet, there’s no need to answer, there’s no need to make it deeper, but Yujin made her respond…

 

 

“Unnie…”

 

 

“Hmm?”

 

 

“I will stand as Minjoo’s defense lawyer.”  Eunbi’s eyes widen, her body moved back a little as surprise touched her.

 

 

Looking at Yujin, disregardng the evident pain, seems determined.

 

 

“I know in your eyes, she killed Chaewon, but for me… a part of me really disagrees. I’ve listened to each of your statements during the trial, and I’m sorry, but there’s a hole in it.”  Eunbi can’t understand, hearing Yujin say this doesn’t offend her, but is making her feel devastated to see how martyr of a lover Yujin is instead.

 

 

“Y-Yujin, we can talk in my off-…” Eunbi tried inviting the young one, but Yujin cut her off and shook her head.

 

 

“I won’t take long, I just want to inform you and ask for help if possible.”

 

 

Eunbi hesitated,  “Yujin, I fought for your innocence and my findings pushed Minjoo in jail, it’ll be a conflict of interest if I will ever help you.”  Eunbi caught how it suddenly felt heavier for the younger one as soon as she finished her sentence.

 

 

“I thought it’ll be easier if the both of you will help me…”  Yujin mumbled under her breathe, but audible enough for the other.

 

 

“Both of us?”  Eunbi’s brows twitched a little and Yujin caught how surprised the older one is when,  “Sakura-unnie.”  When she mentioned the name of the prosecutor.

 

 

Out of her own struggles, she’s certain, she saw a light which flickered a bit upon hearing that very name. She, again, began to wonder as to why does it seems so different, the bond of the two, from what they have witnessed within the years they are all together in one university.

 

 

“S-Sakura? Yeah… she will be able to help, she holds all Minjoo’s files.”  Yujin had to examine each small movement that the former president did, from adjusting on her seat, gulping to suddenly fidgeting her hands.

 

 

“Tell me, Unnie…”

 

 

“Is it a conflict of interest based on professional matters or… personal ones?”  Yujin just wants to clarify what she’s seeing through the older one’s expressions.

 

 

Something she’s very well aware of – unresolved relationship and issues.

 

 

“W-What?”  Eunbi started to sweat…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter