The Best

Crime Passionnel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4

 

        After that socialization party, most of the students recognize Yujin as the singer who sang with a not so deep, sweet voice. But that’s not how her professors are viewing her, for she is known in the faculty room for her logical reasoning, intelligent answers and hard work.

 

 

Well, days…

Weeks…

Months, had passed, until the first semester of Yujin’s term ended.

 

 

Everything was fine, they were just living the normal days of a university student. There will be toxic days, sleepless nights, unwinding weekends, rest hours.  And that was just totally fine, Yujin is enjoying every class she’s attending despite of the toxicity of the requirements.

 

 

She’s prepared about anything, anything in the academic area. And getting recognized for her capability to stand firm in the field of law motivates her, especially when she reached more than what she planned.

 

 

“Yujin-ah.”  The latter’s head tilted in the direction of the person who called her, removing her eyes off of her book.

 

 

“Why are you still studying? The semester has ended already. It’s semestral break.” 

 

 

“Hmm? I just want to study in advance, I want to apply for a scholarship this second semester.”  Yujin turned her eyes back to her opened books that is currently lying on the desk, together with all the other books she has, may it be hers or borrowed from the library.

 

 

“First semester and first term, but you're alreadysthis determined.”   Minjoo thought as she watches the freshman a bit, before deciding to…

 

 

“Why don’t you come with me for a walk?”  Invite her somewhere.

 

 

“A walk? Where?”  Yujin asked, still not stopping from highlighting important definition and terms.

 

 

“Just.”  Minjoo is already wearing her coat, and Yujin felt the need to go with the older one,  “O-Okay, just a bit, maybe I need to unwind a little too.”

 

 

Minjoo chuckled, walking towards their shoe rack, watching the younger one heavily stand from her seat, to wear her coat and shoes.   “Do I have to bring anything?”,  Minjoo chuckled more,  “No, we’re just up for a walk, Yujin-ah. You’re thinking so much.”

 

 

Minjoo can remember herself acting like this a year ago, but unlike Yujin, she hasn’t been out with someone when she wanted to go for a walk, to unwind even just for some couples of minutes, that’s why she’s here, ready to give time and help the latter.

 

 

“Okay…”

 

 

They both went out of the dorm, most students are nowhere to be found, probably home since it is semestral break, or perhaps, out there, enjoying the two weeks of vacancies from academics.

 

 

“So, how was it?”  Minjoo started the conversation as soon as they stepped out of the exit.

 

 

“What?”  Minjoo looked at the taller one,  “Your grades? Are you satisfied with the results?”  The older one felt herbheart getting soft as she caught how the freshman pouted, signifying that she isn’t really satisfied.

 

 

“Maybe? I don’t know, I got 1.75, and those were both GE subjects.”  Yujin said, and letting out a sigh after.

 

 

[In the grading system of universities, 1.75 is equivalent to an average of 90-92. And GE subjects/courses means "General Education", this means, they are minor subjects, not specialized by the profession you are taking, most common example is PE.]

 

 

“Oh, that’s under satisfactory, why do you seem down?”  Yujin took a deep breath and answered,  “I have set my own standards just from the beginning. My goal was to have not less than 1.5 grades, but yeah, I was a bit careless to that two GE subjects, probably because I thought, GE subjects are just you know, minor ones.”

 

 

Minjoo nodded. Almost everyone actually looks at GE courses as ‘just minor subjects’ and that’s the most common reason why GE subjects, although they are expecting good grades from those, are having lesser good result than the professional courses would. Students had forgotten that they won't graduate if they ever failed even the GE subjects.

 

 

“I see, well… that’s always how it has been, I had low grades with GE subjects before too, but after experiencing lower grades than major ones, I learned the lesson. Now, I’m looking at all subjects as my major ones, to avoid prioritizing, because everything needs time, attention and efforts too.”

 

 

[Everything needs time, attention, and efforts too.]

 

 

Yujin, while walking and not bothering herself with where they already are, looked at the star student and felt her words engraving to her mind. She realized that she isn’t much thinking fairly that time, when she subconsciously thinks that the GE subjects are just half of her professional ones, and that’s not how a future lawyer should think.

 

 

But also, she felt something inside her blinking, flickering hard, as if it wants to turn on, but it is way too complicated, or blurry for her to comprehend, and even before she could think of it deeper.

 

 

“Look.”  The star student spoke and pointed what’s in front of them…

 

 

Just then, she realized were the sophomore brought her – to the Dean of College of Law's Office, and now, they are standing in front of the bulletin board.

 

 

“Sorry, what’s this?”  But then…

 

 

“I can’t read, my glasses are not with me.”  It was supposedly a legendary moment, but Minjoo had to laugh as it failed.

 

 

“Yah, you went out without contact lenses?”  Minjoo questioned, giving the law student a not so forceful push.

 

 

“Well, I thought, we’re just up for a walk, I didn’t know you’ll make me read something. What is this?”  Yujin squinted her eyes and leaned closer to the bulletin board, her forehead is almost touching the glass covering it, as she tries to recognize each letter typewritten on the single paper posted on the Dean’s bulletin board.

 

 

“Wait for me here, I’ll get your glasses.”  Yujin wasn’t able to protest anymore when the older one walked back to their dorm to get her glasses. And while she’s alone, she still tried reading, but still, unfortunately, her bad eyesight just won’t let her.

 

 

It didn’t take long till her roommate came back, holding her thick glasses.

 

 

“Here,”  Minjoo gave it to her and she wore it, not knowing what she will be able to read.

 

 

College of Law: Dean’s Listers

Kwon Eunbi - 1.00

Miyawaki Sakura – 1.00

Ahn Yujin – 1.50

 

 

Yujin was not able to read the following names anymore, her senses stopped right at that moment as she read her own name, posted there, under the Dean’s Listers, beside it, is her total average. Her eyes widen, her body felt light, but froze on her spot. After a couple of seconds, Yujin blinked and looked at the star student, surprised…

 

 

Minjoo just gave her an assuring smile.

 

 

“M-My name…”  She looked back at the bulletin.

 

 

Right, going back to her examination score, quizzes, class participation records, her efforts should really pay-off, but looking at this now, she was only expecting to be recognized, but not really be placed on the Dean’s Lister this early.

 

 

She feels delighted, excited, and confused at the same time. She's now riding the train of emotions, positive emotions.

 

 

“You’ll automatically be a scholar, just coordinate with the treasury office, so they can verify.”  Minjoo stated, also looking at the list.

 

 

“I-I…”  She neither can comprehend or speak well, and Minjoo found it cute, resulting for her to giggle.

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter