Meet Yeo Ri

Fated To Love You

When Rae Won had returned to his small, photography studio after lunch, he was a bit surprised to see his protege, Han Yeo Ri, already sitting there with a takeout box of BB.Q chicken in hand. The last time he checked, their one-on-one photography classes were held every TTH, and today was a Friday. Something must've brought her here. 

"O, Yeo Ri ah. What brings you here?" Rae Won asked as he unloaded himself of things.

"Rae Won oppa, I hope I didn't startle you that much." Yeo Ri smiled. "Bap meogeosseoyo (Have you eaten)? I had lunch with some of my friends just a while ago and decided to come by to give you this." She added, handing him the small box. 

"Buffalo wings. Majayo (Am I right)?" 

Rae Won smiled in reply as he courteously took the box. 

"Neh, kamsahamnida (Yes, thank you)." He said. "But... I've eaten already. Maybe I can have this for dinner later." 

As Rae Won said this, Yeo Ri felt a bit disappointed, but was quick to hide her true emotions by letting out a small smile. She had to hide the fact that she liked him more than a mentor for it looked, sounded and seemed so wrong. 

"Oh, arasoyo (Oh, okay)." She said. "Who did you have lunch with? Bom So oppa?" 

"Ani (No)" Rae Won answered. "I met up with the editor-in-chief of Love Korea. You know, the popular lifestyle magazine? It's a really long story, but her name is Soo Ih Na. Interesting girl. Very interesting girl." He smiled at the memory of the first night he had met her.

Yeo Ri has heard of Love Korea, but never of Ih Na. She might not have been the type of reader who paid much attention to the EIC of magazines, but the moment Ih Na was mentioned in the conversation, she wanted to get her hands on a Love Korea magazine almost immediately to see how she looked like.

Yeo Ri was more than intrigued of her. She felt threatened. 

"Are you doing a project together or something?" Yeo Ri asked, trying not to sound so nosy. 

"Yeah. We're actually doing a photospread on South Korea's under-rated tourist spots. It's for next month's issue." Rae Won answered as he picked up one his DSLRs and began to wipe its lens. "You might want to help me out on it. You know, do a little research on where we can go. You do know how tech savvy I am right?" He smiled. 

"Um..." Yeo Ri said. "Can't I come? I mean, can't I help you guys with the field work?"

Rae Won looked up from wiping his camera lens, walked towards Yeo Ri, then playfully ruined her bangs. 

"I haven't forgotten that you enrolled for summer classes, Yeo Ri." He teased. "I don't want to be a bad influence to you." 

"Hajiman (But)-"

"Just focus on your studies, okay?" Rae Won said. "Don't worry, our one-on-one photography classes will still be around for the summer and besides, the South Korea Photography Club will be having a photography contest next month. I don't want you to miss out on that."

At this point, Yeo Ri knew that there was no point in "arguing" with her oppa. She simply nodded in agreement, and hoped that his little project with Ih Na wouldn't lead into something more. 

Yeo Ri knew that she was more of a little sister to Rae Won, but giving up on the idea of the both of them being more than that, was something she had not entertained just yet. She was going to finish college, become a professional photographer, marry him and have a beautiful family. She knew it sounded more like a fangirl's dream, but Yeo Ri knew that it could happen. Patience was the key.

"I'll do the research for you, oppa." Yeo Ri said. "When do you need it?" 

Rae Won was in thought. 

"Um, tonight? Would that be alright?" He asked. 

"Neh, anything for you, oppa." Yeo Ri smiled. 

Ih Na and Son Mi were the only ones left in the conference room when the team meeting had wrapped up. Everybody else was back to work, but the two best friends, who also held the highest positions in the magazine remained to eat and talk for a bit.  

"This bread is so delicious." Son Mi said as she tried looking at its packaging. "Happy Bread? Well, that's a cute name for a bake shop." She added. 

"Son Mi ya," Ih Na uttered as she put away her empty bread packaging. "Are you sure about this? I mean, me going on a vacation leave and you handling all this mayhem, that is Love Korea's upcoming summer issue?" She asked, worry spread all over her face. 

This was the first time that Ih Na was leaving in the middle of the magazine's "pre-production" phase, and she couldn't help but feel anxious and stressed. 

"Ih Na, we've been working together for almost a decade now. Don't you trust me enough?" Son Mi asked, trying to sound hurt. "Everything's going to be fine. You're just being so paranoid right now." 

"Look," Son Mi said as she sat up straight. "As your managing editor, I'm telling you, assuring you even, that everything is going to be fine. We've distributed our tasks, have competent people who by the way have been working here just as long as we have, so it's going to be alright. More than alright, actually. Aaand as your best friend, I'm telling you to take this precious time to finally enjoy your life and heal that broken heart!" 

Ih Na managed to smile despite the ton of negative emotions that she was feeling. She had acknowledged the fact that maybe, she did need some positive change in her daily routines and her life in general. It was for her own good anyway. She couldn't just hide nor bury herself in her work forever. 

"Just don't fall in love with that handsome photographer." Son Mi joked. 

"Son Mi ya."

"Mwo (What)? It's possible, you know. Anything is possible."