The World Is Getting Smaller

Fated To Love You

Bom So had just finished putting another batch of bread into the oven, when a man, who seemed to be in his mid-30's entered Happy Bread. He was dressed in a semi-formal attire, that had Bom So thinking that he might have been some sort of businessman who had stumbled upon their small neighborhood.

"Annyeonghaseyo (Hello)." He greeted the man, as the latter stood in front of the cash register and took a quick look of the menu. 

"Annyeong (Hi)," He replied. "I'll have one ham and cheese croissant, one banana bread and a cup of coffee please." 

"Neh (Yes)." Bom So nodded as he started pressing the keys on the cash register. "That would be 5000 won."

"Jamkkanmanyo (Wait a minute)." The man said as he got his wallet from the backpocket of his beige slacks. 

Realizing that he had no brought any cash with him, the man was quick to apologize and handed Bom So his credit card. 

"Gweanchanha (It's okay)." Bom So uttered as he accepted it.

Just as he was about to swipe the card in the payment terminal, his eyes suddenly focused on the name that was on it. "Park Yong Hwa", it read. The name sounded so familiar to Bom So, that he couldn't help but ask the man if he was the Yong Hwa that he knew back in high school. 

"I'm sorry to ask but, did you attend the Sejong High School back in the day?" Bom So asked. 

"Neh (Yes)." The man nodded. "But I didn't graduate there since my family had to move to Incheon before my senior year. Waeyo (Why)?"

He was indeed the Yong Hwa that Bom So knew. 

"Park 7." Bom So uttered as he smiled. 

At first, Yong Hwa shot him a look of confusion, but it didn't take him long enough to remember his old friend and former teammate in the varsity soccer team, Park Bom So. Since they were both Parks, their coach decided to call them by their family name and their jersey numbers to avoid confusion. Bom So was Park 7, and Yong Hwa was Park 8. 

"Bom So ya!" Yong Hwa beamed as the gentlemen shook hands ecstatically. "How have you been?"

"I've been good, I've been good." Bom So replied. "You know what, your order's on me. Just have a seat and I'll have them prepared alright?" 

Yong Hwa nodded, then took the seat nearest to the cash register. 

"My goodness. How long has it been?" Bom So said as he gently placed the tray in front of his friend. "I never thought I'd see you here." 

"I know. This meeting was really unexpected." Yong Hwa agreed. "Do you own this bakery?" 

"Neh (Yes). It's quite small, but it's been earning well." Bom So replied. "What about you? Are you a businessman now or something? Your attire seems pretty... formal." 

Yong Hwa smiled. 

"I guess you can call me a businessman, but I'm actually a chef. Well, a chef and a businessman since I own a chain of Korean and Italian fusion restaurants all over Seoul."

"Wow." Bom So replied. "Well, how did you come all the way here? Our neighborhood's pretty far from the city proper." 

"Actually, I've been looking for a location for my new branch and a friend of mine told me that your neighborhood's got a lot of potential." Yong Hwa agreed. "I mean, it's pretty small, but a lot of people, mostly young adults, live around the area."

"But unfortunately," Yong Hwa sighed as he held unto his cup of coffee. "I haven't really found the right spot yet, and I'm not quite sure why."

"Well, there's a property on lease that's right next door. You might to check it out." Bom So suggested. "It used to be a Chinese restaurant, but when the contract expired, the tenant decided not to renew it and transferred somewhere else. I think in Itaewon if I'm not mistaken? But the space is pretty big and good enough for a restaurant." 

"Sounds great. I'll check right after I have my coffee and bread." Yong Hwa laughed. "Anyway, how's everyone else? Right after I transferred to Incheon, I was never able to keep in touch with you guys. Our family had to start from scratch over there."

"Well, when you left, we ended up losing our championship streak." Bom So said sourly. "But don't worry, I've forgiven you for that already... even if it hurts a little now that I've seen you again."

Yong Hwa laughed. 

"Mian (Sorry)." He said. "But have you been keeping in touch with our other teammates?"

"Ani (No)." Bom So replied. "When we all graduated and went off to different colleges, I guess everyone just got really busy, you know. But Rae Won and I are still very close. We're bestfriends, after all."

"Ah, Lee Rae Won?" Yong Hwa guessed. 

"Yup, the Lee Rae Won." Bom So boasted. "That boy used to take pictures for our school's official paper, but now he's working with big names in the photography industry. As a matter of fact, I think he's currently working with this lifestyle magazine in Korea, but I forgot the name. I think the editor in chief is Soo Ih-"

And then, Yong Hwa's phone rang. 

Seeing the name of one of business partners pop up in the caller ID, he hurriedly excused himself from Bom So to answer the call. 

"Aish, how could I forget the name of that magazine." The latter said to himself. "What was it again? Travel Korea? Admire Korea? Care Korea? Ugh, why am I so bad at memorizing things." 

"Uh, Bom So ya?" Yong Hwa said, feeling a bit apologetic. "I'm sorry, but I really have to go. One of my business partners just called up, saying that he booked us a meeting with Baek Jong Won." 

"Baek Jong Won, as in Top 3 Chef King, Food Truck and Alley Restaurant Baek Jong Won?" Bom So's eyes widened. 

"Majayo (That's right)." Yong Hwa answered. "I really enjoyed the food and our quick chat. It really that I have to go, but don't worry, I'll be visiting again soon and maybe when I do, we can have some drinks with Rae Won?" 

"Kureomyo (Of course)!" Bom So nodded. "O, pali pali (hurry hurry)! You don't want to keep South Korea's most famous chef waiting, right?" 

The two friends exchanged warm smiles, and then Yong Hwa was off. 

Just as Bom So was about to fix the table, he heard the door chimes hitting against each other, which meant that there was another customer who had arrived. Looking up to see who it was, he immediately scratched the back of his head at his new customer's identity. 

"What are we, in a Korean drama or something?" He uttered in frustration. 

"What are you talking about?" Rae Won laughed. 

"Yong Hwa just left Happy Bread a few seconds ago, and now you're here, arriving from the opposite direction." Bom So told his best friend. "And, we were just talking about you before he left. What a tease."

"Yong Hwa as in your soccer teammate Yong Hwa? Park 8?" Rae Won guessed. 

When Bom So nodded in agreement, the latter continued on. 

"Jamkkanman (Wait a minute), I thought he was in Incheon or something?" 

"Well, he's back and he's some hot chef turned businessman now." Bom So answered as he gathered the leftover food and placed them on the tray. "It would've been really nice, had you met and talked to him again." 

Rae Won smiled. 

"There's always a next time." He said. 

And just like that, Rae Won, Ih Na and Yong Hwa's worlds were getting smaller and more intertwined. This was just the beginning of one very long and complicated rollercoaster ride.