A Quick Stroll In The Park

Fated To Love You

Rae Won and Ih Na found themselves at the Hansang Gadeuk Restaurant today. The place was considered as one of South Korea's "hidden gems" because of the very delicious and high quality meat that it served to its customers, despite not being known to many.

The moment they arrived at the restaurant, Rae Won roamed around to take some photos, while Ih Na chose a table and went ahead to order what was best on the menu. 

Not long after, she was served with fresh slabs of pork and beef, paired with a ton of side dishes. 

"Kamsahamnida (Thank you)." Ih Na thanked the waitress, and then she was off. 

Ih Na sighed heavily as she stared at the food in front of her. The last time she was at a barbeque restaurant was about a month ago with Yong Hwa. They were celebrating his promotion to head chef at the old restaurant he was in. Yong Hwa seemed to be the happiest man on earth that day, and Ih Na, being the ever supportive girlfriend that she was, felt just as happy as he did. Had she known that his promotion would lead to the downfall of their relationship, she would not have celebrated with him that day. 

Despite being a few meters away from her, Rae Won was quick to notice the sudden change in Ih Na's disposition. She had been so chatty and lively on the way here, that seeing her face fall as she looked at the food, made Rae Won sad. He knew that Ih Na's memories with her ex would come haunting her every once in a while, and though it was inevitable, Rae Won told himself that whenever they were together, he would make sure that Ih Na would feel nothing but happiness. 

"Kaja (Let's go)?" Rae Won said casually. "Let's have lunch somewhere else."

"Waeyo (Why)?" Ih Na asked. 

"Hmmm... Geunyang (Just because)." 

Ih Na smiled at him. 

"Ya, Lee Rae Won. Our day just started. Stop being so weird." She said. "Let's just stay and eat here. We need to find out if they serve one of the best barbeques in the country, after all."

"Only if you promise to smile and laugh all day." Rae Won replied. 

"Yaksokhae (I promise)." Ih Na said teasingly, a soft laugh escaping her lips.

Though he wasn't at all convinced, Rae Won gave in to what Ih Na wanted and took the seat right across her. He could only hope that throughout the entire duration of their time together, he could help carry her burden somehow. I guess it was safe to say that Rae Won simply wanted to be a good friend to her, because he knew that it was what she needed the most. 

Ih Na was just about to put a slab of pork on the grill, when hot oil splattered into her hand, causing her to let go of the tong she was holding. As she winced in pain, Rae Won rushed to her side, held her hand and immediately called for help.

"Gweanchanha (Are you okay)?" He asked as he gently blowed on her hand. "Gugueub sangja juseyo (First aid kit please)!" 

As Rae Won attended to her, Ih Na couldn't help but gaze at him. This wasn't the first time that this had happened to her, but it sure was the first time that someone had reacted this way to something so trivial, that even she was caught offguard.

In the many barbeque dates that she's had with Yong Hwa, every single time she'd have hot oil splattered on her hands, he would simply continue eating and tell her to just shake it off, but with Rae Won, things were different. He may have done such a simple gesture of rushing to her side and making sure that she was okay, but it meant a lot to her. 

"You shouldn't have placed the meat so soon." Rae Won said as he gently pressed a cool, damp cloth on Ih Na's hand.

"Mian (Sorry)." She responded adorably. "I guess I was just really excited." 

Rae Won looked at her and smiled. 

"Aigoo (Oh dear)." He uttered. 

Thanks to Rae Won's sense of urgency, the burns on Ih Na's hand no longer turned into blisters. He took charge of the grilling from there and treated her just like a queen; serving her with the best meat, the coldest cola and the most flavorful dessert, much to Ih Na's delight.

"So you're telling me that despite having that knight in shining armor aura, you don't have a girlfriend?" Ih Na asked as she and Rae Won went for a stroll at a nearby park.

"Waeyo (Why)?" The latter laughed. 

"It's just so hard to believe!" Ih Na exclaimed. "I mean, any girl would kill to have a boyfriend like you. You're funny, outgoing, kind-hearted, attractive..."

Ih Na suddenly paused as she realized that she was practically swooning over Rae Won already. 

"Kurigo (And)?" The latter teased as Ih Na's cheeks turned into a faint shade of red.

"Well," Ih Na cleared . "I guess what I wanted to say is that... you're a really nice guy and whoever ends up with you is one very lucky girl." She added.

"Well, that's really nice to hear, because I'm quite certain that there was a time in my life where I actually thought that maybe the whole love and relationship thing just isn't for me." Rae Won revealed. "I've only had one girlfriend, well, ex-girlfriend. We loved each other so much, even talked about marriage, then one day, she tells me that she's pregnant." He added. 

"I was so excited, felt like I was over the moon, because one of my ultimate dreams is to be a dad. But then, I think it was a rainy Saturday... we had just gotten home from buying things for the baby when someone starts knocking on the door of our apartment and then... tada. Turns out, my ex slept with someone else when I was on a work trip and the baby was his baby and not mine."

Ih Na's heart fell. She couldn't imagine how someone as good-natured as Rae Won would be subject to such a painful experience like this. She just felt like he didn't deserve it at all. 

"The words you said earlier? Funny, outgoing, kind-hearted, attractive... that's how I was when I was with her. She'd even tell me that I was the best boyfriend ever, but she still managed to sleep with someone else. It's really... weird." Rae Won managed to smile.

"Well, she's the problematic one. Not you." Ih Na said, in an attempt to comfort him. "She lost a gem, while trying to pick up a rock." She added. 

"I guess I can say that to you, as well." Rae Won replied. 

"You don't even know me well enough to say that." Ih Na smiled. "Hajiman, gomawoyo (But, thank you)." She added.

"I know I'm supposed to say that you don't know me well enough as well, but between the both of us, it's quite obvious who's the open book." Rae Won beamed. 

"But really," Ih Na uttered. "I admire you for not letting the hurt change you. It's so easy to turn into someone you're not, when you go through such painful experiences like that, but you... you're really strong and I know I will never be half as strong as you are."

"You are, Ih Na." Rae Won said as he turned to look at her. "The fact that you're here with me already shows how strong you are." He added.

"I know it isn't easy to pull yourself out of bed and to keep me company, but here you are, constantly and genuinely trying to feel better even if it's so difficult." Rae Won uttered. "I know you want to keep crying, to keep cursing at your ex and at the world, but you're facing your pain head on and for that, I admire you as well. I'm not just the strong one here, Ih Na. You are too."

Tears started running down Ih Na's cheeks as she heard this. It was true that getting through everyday without having the urge to break down was still a struggle for her, but the fact that Rae Won was right here, affirming her efforts, felt like she wasn't in this alone.

Suddenly, Ih Na went in for an embrace; her hands finding its way to Rae Won's back. 

"Gweanchanha, geunyang ureoyo (It's okay, just cry)." Rae Won said softly, as he hugged her back. 

"I'm here for you. I'll always be here for you."