The Returned Handphone

Fated To Love You

"You know, you look really familiar." Rae Won said, teasingly. 

When Son Mi wasn't looking, Ih Na was quick to shoot him a death glare that amused him, rather than intimidated him. 

"Oh, you've met before?" Son Mi asked. 

"Aniyo," Ih Na responded. "I'm pretty sure Rae Won just mistook me for someone else." She added, giving him another look that "required" him to agree or else, he was dead. 

"Uh, neh." Rae Won smiled. "I most probably mistook her for someone else. You see, last night, I remember meeting this girl who had quite a few drinks-"

"Araso, Lee Rae Won sshi." Ih Na replied, cutting him off in an instant. "Since I'm pretty sure that we're all busy individuals here, I think it's best for us to continue on to the meeting?" 

Rae Won had to stop himself from laughing, upon noticing how stressed Ih Na seemed to be, about meeting him here of all places. After all, she was the top gun here, the one who called the shots. He assumed that she didn't want anybody else knowing about how loudly she had ranted at a bar last night, how drunk she ended up and how aggressively she had kissed him in his apartment. 

Those memories were definitely one for the books. 

As soon as Rae Won and Ih Na were settled in their seats, Son Mi connected her laptop to the projector and began her simple presentation. It was an in depth background of the photospread that they were doing for the June issue of Love Korea. 

"Well, first and foremost, since this is going to be our summer edition, we decided to focus on South Korea's tourist spots, but with a twist." Son Mi began. "In as much as we appreciate tourist spots such as the Gyeongbukgung Palace, the Namsan Tower, Myeongdong Strip, we decided that it's about time for us to focus more on the under-rated tourist spots that are just as beautiful as the ones that are frequently-visited by the locals and the foreigners."

"Basically, we want our readers to re-discover South Korea with brand new eyes. Not only will this entice them to travel, but it will make them realize that there's so much more to our country, so they stay here because they love it here." Son Mi added. "To put it simply, it's just like being in a long-term relationship. You think you know everything about your partner, but then as time passes by, you discover more about them, and this makes you stay in the relationship, because you've fallen for them a lot more."

As Son Mi said this, Rae Won noticed the sadness in Ih Na's eyes. He was pretty sure that she was thinking about her failed relationship, and what she had done for it to end that way. 

Rae Won might not have known the entire story, but he understood her pain. That feeling of investing so much in a person and in a relationship, only for it to fail in the end. You gave it your all, but the person ends up hurting you and disappointing you. 

"Anyway, that's our vision for the photospread, Lee Rae Won sshi." Son Mi said. "We picked you out of all of the photographers in South Korea because you're extremely popular amoung young adults, and you were the one behind the promotional ads of the country's tourism department, right? That's pretty impressive, if I may say." 

Rae Won smiled. 

"Gomawoyo (Thank you). It's an honor being considered and chosen to do this photospread." He said. 

"Your deadline is in two weeks." Ih Na said, sternly. "Within the given time period, you can take the photos and edit them right away, right?" 

"Well, the traveling from one point to another will be the most time consuming-"

"We'll take care of that. What else?"

Rae Won laughed a little. Oh, Ih Na.

"Also, the given time period is feasible for as long as I have someone to assist me."

"Assist you? What do you mean?" Son Mi asked. 

"Well, when it comes to big projects like this, a photographer can't do things on his own. He needs someone to assist him with his equipment and all that. Considering that I am a freelance photographer, I have no agency to contact for manpower. I don't have that much photographer friends as well, and the ones I have, are the busiest in this industry." Rae Won explained. 

"Hmmm, why not have Ih Na onboard?" Son Mi suggested. 

This took Ih Na by surprise. 

"I mean, your equipment isn't that heavy right? I'm pretty sure she can take it." 

"Ya, Kwon Son Mi."

Suddenly, the latter's phone started ringing. 

"Oh, will you look at that. A phone call." Son Mi teased. "I have to get this. Excuse me." She added, excusing herself from both Rae Won and Ih Na. 

When the two were finally alone, Rae Won cleared his throat to get Ih Na's attention, and he succeeded. She was now looking at him with annoyance spread across her face. 

"So you're an editor-in-chief, huh?" He began. "I didn't know you were Love Korea's top gun. My mom loves reading your magazines." 

"Kurigo (And)?" Ih Na asked. "What point are you getting to? I don't have all the time in the world to play around, you know."

Rae Won smiled. 

"I guess you might have been too drunk and too heartbroken last night to even realize that you had lost your handphone." 

At the sound of the word "handphone", Ih Na remembered how Son Mi had been calling her, but couldn't get through. She also remembered why she couldn't hear the message and mail alerts that kept her phone buzzing all day. 

Ih Na frantically searched her small handbag, but her Galaxy Z was nowhere to be found.

Just as she was about to look up from her quick search, she saw Rae Won standing in front of her, with his hand extended out. He had her handphone.

"I ended up drinking the banana shake I made for you, you know. You were in such a rush to leave this morning." Rae Won teased.

Ih Na hurriedly got her handphone from him and stood up to meet his eyes. She lost her balance quite a bit though, causing Rae Won to hold on to her waist to prevent her from falling.

In that very moment, they stared at each other, and as they did, it was as if the whole world had stopped turning. Rae Won already knew how beautiful Ih Na was, but right now, it was the latter's turn to appreciate his charm. He had deep set, brown eyes, a tall nose and lips that were shaped just right. He was quite muscled, and had such a laidback fashion sense. No wonder he was so popular amoung the young adults, especially the ladies. He could definitely pass as a Korean actor. 

When Ih Na realized that they had been staring at each other long enough, she immediately broke the moment and stood away from him. 

"You went over my personal files, didn't you?" She accused. 

Rae Won let out a hearty laugh. 

"Mwo (What)?" He said. 

"You went over my personal files, so you could stalk me!' 

"You really are something else." Rae Won smiled. "Cheonmaneyo, Ih Na ya (You're welcome, Ih Na)."

Ih Na was just about to open to speak, when Son Mi cleared . 

"Are you guys sure you haven't met somewhere?" She asked, intriguingly. 

All Rae Won did was smile in reply. 

"Anyway, thank you so much for this opportunity to work with your team. Again, it truly is an honor." He said. "As much as I would like to stay a little longer, I have another meeting to attend to, so I need to go."

"Oh, okay." Son Mi nodded. "I'll just call you up, actually Ih Na will just call you up if there's anything more that you need to know. We have your contact details anyway. And before I forget... I was serious about having Ih Na assist you."

Rae Won let out a small laugh. 

"Araso, monjeo galgeyo (Alright, I should get going now)." He bowed to the two ladies, smiled one last time at Ih Na, and then he was off. 

"So-"

"Remember, Love Korea's managing editor now, best friend later." Ih Na was quick to say. 

"Uh, why do you always have to cut me off like that?" Son Mi rolled her eyes. "Neh, agasumida, pyeonjibjang (Yes, I understand, editor-in-chief)."

As Son Mi fixed her things, Ih Na continued to stare at her handphone. She might have said such nonsensical accusations at Rae Won, but she was beyond thankful that he was the one who had found it. 

"So did you really meet-"

"Kwon Son Mi, if you bring that up one more time, I'm going to have your salary reduced by 50% next month." 

The former laughed. 

"Aigoo, Soo Ih Na. The ever flustered, certified kill joy editor-in-chief of Love Korea."

"Whatever." Ih Na uttered, a small smile finding its way to her face.