Bridges Rebuilt

Fated To Love You

The following day, Ih Na was still feeling a bit down because of what she had seen at Rae Won's photo exhibit. Despite conditioning herself to keep her expectations low, Ih Na couldn't deny that she had hoped for the best; that maybe, had Rae Won seen her at the exhibit, they would have reunited already. But that didn't happen, much to Ih Na's dismay. 

"I can't believe he didn't wait for me." Ih Na uttered in frustration. "But this is all my fault. If I hadn't taken so long, if I didn't cut off all forms of communication with him, he never would have gotten the idea that I was no longer interested. He never would have looked for someone else." She added. 

"But who was that woman?" Ih Na wondered out loud. "She seemed pretty even from the back. I guess... aniyo (no), I'm sure I'm way prettier than her."

Suddenly, Ih Na's "moment with herself" had been cut short after Son Mi's opened the door leading to her office and said, "Pyeonjibjang (Editor-in-chief), you have a visitor."

As if on cue, Han Yeo Ri, Rae Won's photography protege, entered Ih Na's office with a shy smile plastered on her face. She looked more mature now, and noticing this, Ih Na felt a bit relieved at the fact that she no longer saw the Yeo Ri that lambasted her for getting in between her and her oppa. She was now a decent looking young lady whose beauty could totally pass for that of a Korean Pop idol's. 

"Annyeonghaseyo, unnie." Yeo Ri greeted as she respectfully bowed in front of Ih Na. "I'm sorry if I surprised you with this visit. It's just that... I saw the signage of your publication right across my work place, and somehow, my feet just led me here." 

"Oh, you work at Jin Advertising now?" Ih Na said, referring to the advertising agency that was right across their office. 

"Neh (Yes), I figured that photography alone couldn't pay my bills. Well... not unless I really pursued it like Rae Won oppa." Yeo Ri smiled. 

Ih Na could only laugh faintly in reply. 

"Kuraeyo (Really)? That's sad." She uttered, then gestured to the seat near her. "Anjayo (You may sit down)." She added. 

As soon as Yeo Ri was settled in her seat, she immediately cut the chase, ignoring the awkwardness and hesitation that she felt, upon seeing the woman she once believed had come between her and the love of her life. Yeo Ri knew that she would never be able to fully move on from what had happened, if she didn't apologize to Ih Na.

"Unnie, I know it took quite a while but I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I'm really sorry." Yeo Ri began. "I shouldn't have said what I said that night. I should have just accepted the fact that Rae Won oppa only saw me as his little sister and nothing else. It would have made everything less complicated." She added. 

"Aniyo, gweanchanha (No, it's okay). I completely understand." Ih Na said. "Love makes us do really crazy things that we either end up remembering or regretting, but in your case, I guess we can say that what happened at the noraebang was more of both." She added, eliciting a brief moment of laughter between her and Yeo Ri. 

"But kidding aside, I've long forgiven you, Yeo Ri." Ih Na admitted. "If I was in your shoes, I'd feel the exact same way." She added.

"I just can't imagine having known someone for quite some time, developing a special bond with him, only to have some other woman snatch him away from me. Your feelings were all valid." 

As Ih Na said this, she was suddenly taken back to last night which made her heart ache a little. She couldn't believe that she had turned into Yeo Ri now, and that Rae Won had found another Ih Na in just a span of five months. Five, long months

"But you know what, unnie, you're really lucky with Rae Won oppa." Yeo Ri said. 

"Lucky? How?" Ih Na curiously asked. 

"I know you ended what you had five months ago." Yeo Ri began. "Rae Won oppa was a mess during the first few weeks of your "break up". He was always inviting Bom So oppa and I for drinks, and then one day, he simply got his act together and told us sincerely, that he understood why you had to leave and that... he was going to wait for you no matter what." She added.

"The photos at the photo exhibit he opened last night? They were all outttakes from the time you spent together." Yeo Ri revealed. "Because he never heard from you ever since that day, Rae Won oppa had to think of a way to remind you that he was still here, waiting for you, and that was through the exhibit."

"He really hoped you would show up, unnie." Yeo Ri said, with a hint of sadness in her eyes. "But he also understood why you couldn't and why you wouldn't."

"But... I don't understand." Ih Na said as a tear fell from her eyes. "How can Rae Won be waiting for me, when he's already got someone new? It just doesn't make sense."

"Someone new?" Yeo Ri repeated, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. 

"Yes, someone new. That woman with the long, brown hair, the one who was wearing that beige trench coat... the one who embraced him tight."

"Oh. You mean Eun Jin unnie, Rae Won oppa's noona." Yeo Ri clarified. 

"Noona? Rae Won has an older sister?" 

Yeo Ri nodded in reply. 

"Neh, unnie. I'm guessing you haven't met her yet." She said. "Eun Jin unnie is Rae Won oppa's older, half sister. They're really, really close but ever since Eun Jin unnie decided to transfer to Jeju Island, they haven't seen each other that often. That must explain the tight embrace you saw. But wait-"

"Yes, I was there last night." Ih Na confirmed. "Bom So saw me, but... I insisted on him not calling Rae Won because I really thought... aish, I'm so embarrassed right now." 

"Gweanchanha, unnie (It's okay). We all have those days." Yeo Ri said in a comforting tone. "But anyway, at least you know that Rae Won oppa is still waiting for you and that he's still very much in love with you."

Ih Na beamed, now feeling as hopeful as ever. 

"Kamsahamnida, Yeo Ri ya (Thank you, Yeo Ri). Jeongmal kamsahamnida (Thank you very much)." She said. "But if I may ask, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way. Why are you doing this?" She asked. 

Yeo Ri smiled in reply. 

"I guess I just don't want you to remember me as that drunk young lady at the noraebang." She uttered. "Because the Yeo Ri you're looking at right now, really is the real me." 

Ih Na held and squeezed her hand from across the table. 

"We might have started on the wrong foot, but I'm glad this happened." Ih Na said. "Now I can finally say, it's nice to meet you, Yeo Ri ya." 

"It's nice to meet you too, Ih Na unnie."