The Time Jump

Fated To Love You

In a span of five months, a lot had changed

Yeo Ri had finally moved on from Rae Won and sincerely apologized for what happened at the noraebang. For Rae Won, "all's well that ends well", as they decided to forget about that night and continue on with their mentor and mentee relationship. Now, Yeo Ri was more than focused on her photography as she had been invited to participate in a prestigious photography competition in the Philippines.

After being conned, Yong Hwa's businesses never recovered. He lost a lot of partnerships with fellow chefs, his restaurant beside Happy Bread never materialized and what was left of him were small, cooking gigs that he got from bookings on the internet. He never apologized to Ih Na, but the latter could care less. Their paths never crossed since his drunken visit to her apartment, and it was definitely better off that way.

Meanwhile, Rae Won had decided to put up another photography studio at Garosugil. On top of that, he now had "Lee Productions", his brand new business venture that incorporated both photos and videos for his seasoned and potential clients. He got extremely popular after his summer photospread on Love Korea, that he rarely stayed put ever since. He was always in and out of the country, but was more than thankful for the success that distracted him from his broken heart. 

Lastly and most importantly, Ih Na was in a much better place now. The wounds she had gotten from her failed relationship with Yong Hwa had finally been healed, and now, she was smiling and laughing a lot more as she continued to live every single day of her life on a positive note. Despite this though, she had never forgotten about the man who taught her to live this way and it was none other than Lee Rae Won. 

Ih Na continued to think about him fondly. There were times when she would feel like sending him random text messages, when she would remember little bits and pieces of their memories together as she strolled around the places they used to visit, further eliciting deep and heavy sighs every now and then. 

She knew that she missed Rae Won so badly, and kept hoping that he would wait for her until the time was right, but Ih Na also reminded herself that a lot has happened in the five months they had lost contact with one another, and that if he was already seeing someone else, she would have to accept it by all means. 

Even if it killed her deep inside, Ih Na had to brace herself for the kind of reality where she and Rae Won might have been meant to simply pass each other by. It's not that she was being a total pessimist, but based on the time they had spent apart and the apparent lack of communication, that kind of reality was possible. 

"Tonight, 8 pm." Son Mi suddenly said, breaking her best friend's train of thought as they remained at one of the conference rooms after Love Korea's monthly team meeting. 

"Mwo (What)?" Ih Na replied with a confused expression on her face. 

"Rae Won's got a photo exhibit at his newly-opened photography studio at Garosugil tonight. 8 pm." Son Mi explained.

Ih Na simply sat there, not quite sure what to make out of what her best friend had just said. 

"Ih Na, I know you still like the guy. It's really obvious." Son Mi uttered with a teasing tone. "Why don't you head on down to his studio tonight? I mean, it's not as if you guys split up or anything right? Can't it go something like, "Hey, do you still remember me? I'm still alive and definitely head over heels with you"."

Ih Na threw a small piece of crumpled paper at Son Mi in reply.

"Ya, Kwon Son Mi. Jugullae (Kwon Son Mi, do you want to die)?" The former reacted.

Son Mi responded with a hearty laugh.

"You know what," She began, as soon as her laughter had died down. "All I'm saying is that, there's nothing wrong if you want to see him again. You left because you needed time for yourself, you needed to heal those deep wounds, and Rae Won understood that right? Which means that you're cool. The both of you. So there's really nothing to worry about." She added. 

"Well... I'm not quite sure about that." Ih Na replied. 

"Waeyo (Why)?" Son Mi asked. "Are you feeling a bit hesistant because he might not have missed you the same way you missed him? That if you go, there might be a chance that you'll see him with someone else? Is that it?" 

Ih Na sighed. 

"Son Mi, I didn't see him nor talk to him for the past five months and though it was a personal choice that I know he understood and respected, I just feel as if things aren't going to be the way they used to be." Ih Na admitted. "I am feeling hesistant, worried and scared because I still like him, Son Mi. After all this time, the feelings are still right here," She gestured to her heart. "That just thinking about seeing him with someone else or him not caring that much about me anymore is killing me inside."

"Well, you'll only know if you give it a try." Son Mi said. "If you see him with someone else and if he appears not to care about you as much anymore, then it simply means that you guys just aren't meant to be. But if there isn't anyone else in the picture and if the feelings are still there, maybe you guys can give it a try. But you know, just take things a bit slow. If you both can." 

Ih Na sighed again. Admittedly, she felt a bit torn at the moment, but after a few minutes of pondering on what the best decision would be, she had finally made up her mind; she was heading to that exhibit

Later that evening, Ih Na was standing right across Rae Won's photography studio at Garosugil. She was thankful that it had big, transparent windows that allowed her to get a peek into what was happening even from afar.

The guests that were invited to the opening of his exhibit freely roamed his studio, while some of them were grabbing some quick bites by the buffet table. 

Ih Na tried to looking for a familiar face amongst the crowd and saw Yeo Ri, as well as Bom So, who were both having a quick chat with Rae Won. 

He was still as handsome as he was from five months back, and seeing him laugh at his best friend's antics, filled Ih Na's heart with so much longing and affection for the man who truly loved her for the person that she was. In this very moment, all she wanted to do was to run towards him and tell him that everything was okay now, but all of that had suddenly changed, when she saw an unfamiliar woman arrive into the venue. 

When she saw Rae Won light up as they hugged right then and there, Ih Na felt her entire world crumble before her eyes. She knew that even a man like Rae Won couldn't wait for her that long, and that his world would never stop turning even without her in it. 

Ih Na felt like a fool for having her hopes up to the point that she even considered surprising him at his exhibit. She just wanted to be with him so badly, but it seemed as if fate had other plans, and she had nothing else to do but to just accept it and walk away. 

Just as she was about leave with tears rolling down her eyes, Ih Na heard a familiar voice call out to her.

Bom So.

"Ih Na ya!" He exclaimed as he crossed the street to get to her.

Ih Na hurriedly wiped her tears away as she turned to face him, plastering the most genuine smile she could make in the moment. 

"O, Bom So ya." She uttered. "Jal jinnaeseo (Have you been well)?" She asked casually. 

"Neh, gweanchanha (Yes, I'm okay). Neoneun eottae (What about you)?" Bom So replied. 

"Nado gweanchanha (I'm okay as well)." 

Bom So continued to smile. 

"It sure has been quite a while. Wait, I'll tell Rae Won-"

"Aniyo(No)." Ih Na hurriedly said, much to the latter's surprise. "Actually, I was heading somewhere else. Just happened to pass by the area." She reasoned out. "Anyway, I have to get going now. Please do extend my regards to Rae Won. It was nice seeing him again even just for a short while." 

Before Bom So could even reply, Ih Na respectfully bowed to him, then walked towards the opposite direction. For a moment, Bom So simply stood there feeling more than confused at what had just happened. This wasn't how he had expected things to turn out when he saw Ih Na standing right across the street, with longing evident in her eyes. 

"Don't tell me... don't tell me Ih Na mistook Eun Jin noona as Rae Won's new girlfriend." Bom So concluded. 

"If that's the case, aigoo (Oh no)."