Serendipity

Fated To Love You

Ih Na woke up to a really bad hangover the next day. Her head was throbbing in pain, felt dry and her entire body reeked of alcohol. 

As she sat up, she instantly regretted her decision of getting drunk last night, but she couldn't really blame herself for acting that way. Her boyfriend of seven years had decided to call it quits, after all. No more wedding, no more anything. It was time to move on just like that. 

Ih Na was intending to give herself a nice, cold shower, but then she realized that she had waken up in an apartment... that wasn't hers

To say that she was mortified was an understatement. 

"Omo." She uttered, her cheeks turning into a deep shade of red. "Naega eodiji (Where am I)?" 

Suddenly, Ih Na had flashbacks of last night; how a man rescued her from a ert, how he had taken care of her when they arrived in this apartment, and how she had... kissed him. 

Ih Na wanted to hide under the covers for the rest of the day, but she knew that she couldn't. Aside from the fact that this wasn't her apartment, she remembered all the deadlines she needed to meet before the release of Love Korea's summer issue. Now wasn't the time to give in to her embarrassment, whether she liked it or not. 

Despite feeling a bit dizzy, Ih Na immediately stood up from the bed and gathered her things. The game plan was simple; to dash off as if she had never been in this place to begin with. She hurriedly fixed the bed, ran her fingers through her disheveled hair and took a deep breath. 

"You're not going to look for him, Ih Na. You're not going to thank him... yet. You need to leave now." Ih Na said, giving herself a few pointers out loud before pushing through with her planned "escape". 

Ih Na slowly, but gently slid the door and peeped if the man was outside. Thankfully, he wasn't, so in the count of 5, she ran as if her whole life depending on it. 

Hearing the noise coming from the living room, Rae Won walked out of the pantry, only to catch the main door of his apartment close. He had already figured that Ih Na had left without saying goodbye, most probably out of embarrassment. 

"I guess I'm having that banana shake for breakfast." He smiled, referring to the drink he had made for her. A banana shake was the perfect cure to a really bad hangover after all. 

As Rae Won entered his bedroom, he was shocked to see the bed all made up. This made him smile even more, as he had thought about this being Ih Na's subtle way of saying thank you for taking care of her the night before. He might not have been given the chance to say it to her personally, but he appreciated the gesture a lot. 

Just as he was about to sit on the edge of the bed, Rae Won's eyes were suddenly directed to a handphone that was lying on the floor. A pink Samsung Galaxy Z that was definitely Ih Na's. 

Rae Won hurriedly picked it up, rushed towards the lobby of the building in hopes to catch Ih Na, but he had just been a tad too late. She had already ridden a taxi back to her apartment, most probably. 

"Aigoo, how do I return this to her now?" He thought to himself. "Well, at least I get to see her again." He added. 

All it took was 30 minutes for Ih Na to prepare for work. As soon as she arrived in her apartment, she took a quick, cold shower, drank some hangover meds and took off as if nothing had happened the night before. 

When she arrived at the Love Korea Headquarters, she could hear people gossiping about the news of Yong Hwa seeing someone else.

From the elevator to the hallway leading to her office, it was pretty much the talk of the town since almost everyone knew how she and Yong Hwa had been together for quite some time now. It might have been very embarrassing and painful to bear, but being the stern editor-in-chief that she was, she had to continue putting on this facade that she was unaffected. 

As soon as she sat on her office chair, she took off her sunglasses and breathed heavily. Today was going to be such a long day. 

Ih Na was just about to turn on her laptop, when she heard three knocks on the door. 

"Dureowoseyo (Come in)." She responded. 

It was Kwon Son Mi, Love Korea's managing editor and her best friend since they were in diapers. 

Son Mi didn't say a thing as soon as she was inside Ih Na's office. She simply approached her friend and gave her the tightest, most comforting side hug. 

"I'm sorry for being such a y bestfriend." She began. "It's just that... when the news came out, I had already been sound asleep. I mean, you know how I sleep really early right? I had only found out this morning when one of our high school classmates told me to check this news website. I tried calling you, but I couldn't get through." 

Ih Na smiled faintly as she patted her best friend's arm. 

"Gweanchanha (It's okay). Chincha (Really)." She responded. "We've got a lot of deadlines to meet before the release of our newest issue. We need to get back to work."

"Ya, are you a robot or something?" Son Mi retorted. "I know you're hurting, okay? You probably even thought about missing work today." She added.

"Ih Na, it's okay to not be okay. Just cry it all out."

Ih Na shook her head in reply. 

"Nah, tears are for the weak." She said, staying true to her strong and cold facade. She might have felt like breaking down in this very moment, but she decided to hold it all in and focus on being editor-in-chief Ih Na, not dumped fiancee Ih Na

"Ih Na ya-"

"I really appreciate your concern, Son Mi, I really do, but let's just focus on the matter at hand, shall we?" Ih Na said. "Now isn't the time to cry and wallow in my sorrows. Much is expected from our summer issue and you do know that when it comes to my work, I don't want anything interfering with it right? That includes my personal life."

"I need you to function right now as my managing editor, as Love Korea's managing editor." Ih Na said. "You can be my best friend later."

Son Mi had been best friends with Ih Na long enough to know that her attitude right now was simply a defense mechanism to her heartbreak. She understood her more than anyone else in this work place, after all. 

"Araso (Okay), but if ever you feel like letting your guard down, I'm here, okay?" Son Mi said. 

"Neh (Yes)," Ih Na nodded. "Jeongmal kamsahamnida, Son Mi ya (Thank you so much, Son Mi)." 

After their conversation, Son Mi gave Ih Na a quick rundown of their schedule for today. They had to go through different drafts and layouts, make sure that there was coordination between the team and the actors who will be appearing in the said issue, and lastly, meet up with a photographer who was going to do a photospread on the issue's main feature and that was South Korea's under-rated tourist spots. 

"Ih Na, the photographer's already in Conference Room A. Kaja (Let's go)?" Son Mi said, and then they were off. 

As soon as Son Mi and Ih Na had arrived at the conference room, there was a man, presumably the photographer, who was seated on one of the chairs with his back turned against them. 

Hearing them come in, he slowly turned the seat and smiled almost immediately at the sight of a very, familiar face. 

"I'm sorry we're a bit late." Son Mi apologized, bowing a little. 

Ih Na looked at the man intently, wondered why it seemed and felt as if she had met him already and then it hit her

"Oh, it's alright." The man replied. "I hadn't been sitting here for too long, anyway. I'm Rae Won. Lee Rae Won." He said, extending his hand out to the ladies. 

Ih Na continued to look at him, with slightly agape. 

Rae Won was the man who had rescued her last night. It was his apartment that she had slept in. Oh the joy.

"Uh, Ih Na?" Son Mi said, bringing her best friend back to reality. "I think you should be shaking his head already. He's been waiting for too long."

"Oh, neh." Ih Na replied, shaking Rae Won's hand quickly and awkwardly. "Panggapsumnida, Lee Rae Won sshi (It's nice to meet you, Rae Won)."

And just like that, they meet again.