Rae Won's Pain

Fated To Love You

When Rae Won arrived at Happy Bread with bottles of soju in hand, Bom So knew that something was up. He didn't have to ask what it was though, because his best friend's bloodshot eyes spoke for themselves, desperately crying out the name "Soo Ih Na". 

Bom So sighed deeply and heavily as he readied himself for a long night ahead. Though it pained him to see Rae Won like this, he knew that his best friend needed him most right now, and just like the good ol' times, Bom So was going to provide him with the comfort and the company he deserved. 

"The thing is, I knew this was going to happen." Rae Won said, as he took his nth shot of soju. 

Bom So had stopped counting after 10. 

"I knew this was going to happen, but it still hurts." Rae Won uttered, letting out a soft chuckle full of misery as tears rolled down his cheeks. "Bom So ya, waeyo (Bom So, why)? Why does this keep happening to me? I mean, all I ever did was love right? I loved a woman, a great woman, and I got hurt. Again." He added. 

"It's not as if I'm blaming Ih Na, ani (no), it's not like that." Rae Won was quick to say. "But I was just wondering, you know, why I always end up like this? Why I always end up heartbroken? Should I just... shun the idea of falling in love ever again?" 

"Rae Won ah, gumanhae (Rae Won, stop it). You're being such a fool right now." Bom So said. 

Rae Won let out a miserious laugh again. 

"Kuraeyo (Sure), I am a fool. A fool who fell in love and got heartbroken. Again and again and again and again." He said, suddenly letting out more tears. 

"I know I shouldn't be feeling this way, Bom So. Right from the start, I knew that Ih Na had just gotten out of a relationship and that it was going to be really difficult for her to open her heart to me, but I guess I simply hung on to the impossible because I liked her that much." Rae Won began. "But then, seeing her smile and laugh every single day became more than enough for me, so you could only imagine the pain that I felt when she told me that she had to leave." 

"Bom So, I wanted to ask her to stay. So badly." Rae Won admitted. "I wanted to tell her that she didn't need to leave to feel whole again, that I would do anything and everything for her to forget about all the pain Yong Hwa had brought into her life, but then I knew that my efforts would never be enough." 

"Do you know how painful it is to not be of use to the person that you love? To not be good enough for them?"

"Rae Won ah, jebal. Gumanhae (Rae Won, please. Stop it)." Bom So said. "I know you're hurting right now, but please don't put yourself down like this. I'm sure you've helped Ih Na in one way or another. It's just that, she needs more time to really think about things. Just be more patient and understanding with her."

"But I'm done with being patient and understanding! I've always been like that!" Rae Won exclaimed, suddenly throwing the shot glass in anger. "Don't I deserve to be happy, Bom So? Do I always have to end up with a broken heart?" 

Bom So sighed as he patted his best friend's back. 

"I just... I just want to be happy, Bom So. Is that too much to ask?" The latter added with tears falling profusely from his eyes. 

"Everything will be alright, Rae Won." Bom So said reassuringly. "This will all make sense in time." 

"I hope so, Bom So. I really hope so."