The Development of A Crush

Solarium
Please log in to read the full chapter

Tonight is just the time for the heat to swelter through the roof. Moonbyul really, absolutely hated the feeling of something sticky matted on her back as sweat started to form. She just doesn't have the energy to wash more than three inner shirts per day. Water conserving, for greener earth, or at least that's what came to her mind as she found her eyes staring at the figure of a man in a distance, conversing for a bit before getting inside the taxi and swiftly driving away from sight.


 

That would be the grumpy salaryman who just complained the other day, and as Moonbyul offered to fill his shift for a week, he gave a compensation that is quite ample in amount. Holding no grudges for the guy or anything, albeit the dismissive tone when she asked whether there really is any way to get the contact that makes calls to the publisher's office every night. His narrowing eyes indicate a suspicion on whether the girl is going to use it for inappropriate purposes. Besides, a rule is still a rule, although it kinda loses its credibility coming from a man who paid for an unknown so that he can skip his responsibilities for a week.



 

"Can I have your number?"

 

"Moon..."

 

"Really, anything is fine. or address. Anything. Even if I have to send a letter with an owl it is fine. I just want to put a face on this someone I've been conversing with for the past few days."

 

"I don't have any phone..."

 

A half-assed rejection kinda hurts in any circumstances.

 

"Let's say I am not in a situation with any provided means of communication at the moment."

 

"Okay, then what's with the call...?"

 

"Because I'm supposed to call for the pizza, remember?" She heaved out a sigh, sounding audibly unnerved. "And it's kinda untraceable. I can call you but you won't be able to do it vice versa."

 

Moonbyul can sense something hidden behind her manner of speaking. "It's not for pizza, is it?" She hazarded a guess. "You're supposed to call someone else, aren't you?"

 

"Doesn't matter anyway. It was simply a fluke for me to even get ahold of calls like this. Things had been..." her voice trailed off in the distance as she carefully chose her words. "...hectic for the most part around here."

 

"I'm sure hoping this is not a lame attempt at rejection though. Really, there's no way like, none whatsoever?"

 

"Moon-shi," The husky tone caressing her ear like dripping honey. It exudes warmth and... sadness? "Nothing good ever comes out dealing with someone like me. I would really appreciate it if we just forget these calls ever happen. Thank you. I have been sleeping well these days."

 

"Wait-"

 

The beeping sound that croaked in the tempo suggested that the call had ended from the other line.

 

 

 

Time to move on, perhaps.


 

Crouching in front of the convenience store with a broom by her side, she rips the alumunium foil carefully to reveal a plain bagel, using her canine teeth to rip open the mustard before pinching the sachet systematically around the sausage, creating a smiley face. She takes a huge bite before gulping it down with mineral water and pulling the lid open hastily. Cheeks bulging from overstuffing and a quick vibrating sensation caused her to check her phone.


 

Yongsunnie
Easy on that hotdog, bozo. I can see your round cheeks even from behind the counter.
The poor thing's gonna explode.

 

 

 

MoonMubi
I'm fine ( ̄▽ ̄)ノWhat can I say? The best hotdog is the one where you don't have to work for it. 
Thank you so much unnniiiiieeeeee

 

Please log in to read the full chapter