Sengkarut

Solarium
Please log in to read the full chapter

The wind brushed violently, shaking her entire body as she tried her best to stay on track. No track even mattered at the moment. Here she was, rushing on a stranger’s decorated bike, trying to overtake another stranger in this race she knew nothing about. The boomerang-shaped handlebars make it even easier to lose steering.

 

She would have enjoyed the exhilarating sensation it brings if not thinking over something else. The glassy jungle of concrete, crashing through potholes and taking shortcuts, was said to be a game of wit. A game where she had to produce this show of chivalry by winning.

 

Let’s just give this crowd whatever they want is what she thinks as she gains speed.

 

--

 

“Kiyo-san…”

 

If anything, the old craftsman never looked upon an expression so distraught; the girl looked undone, with mud dirtied the hem of her jacket, the pair of eyes that lost all hope, but suddenly overlapped with fury.

 

“It was them, those scoundrels, let me just go and—”

 

The incessant ramble was cut with a thunderous knock from the cane.

 

“One at a time!”

 

Trying to slow down her heaving breaths, she reaches into her pocket before handing out to the old man. Kiyozo squinted his eyes behind the spectacle as he scrutinized with a frown.

 

“Yamato-ya…”

 

“I had contacted Kyung. The reinforcements were sent as we speak.”

 

Kiyozo clicked his tongue mockingly. “From Korea? They will never make it in time. And if I remember correctly, the only allies you all have for this plan are just that small.” Moonbyul opened before closing it again, clenching her jaw. Only from that gesture Kiyozo knew that the girl was trying her best not to lash out. He growled. “Hopeless, all of you. Look here.”

 

Slumping towards the wall behind his workdesk, he flips out a blackboard. Moonbyul watched wordlessly as she observed the scrawling words written haphazardly in chalk.

Kiyozo threw the chalk to the side as he faced Moonbyul, his hand slapped harshly to the board but he spoke as if talking to a 5-year-old. “I figure that you didn’t even know anything about Hyejin’s benefactor, and the girl must have kept that secret from you with her life. See, even in the underworld everything has its position: boss, underbosses, various soldiers, but that Ahn, he’s a vermin. Except the one that disguised himself well among the elites.” His tone grew apprehensive at the gleam in Moonbyul’s eyes. “Hyejin, that girl is simply a ticket to get to where he is right now. As for anything else I didn’t know for exact. She is a prize that everyone’s fighting to get a piece of, and this Yamato-ya is only one of those gangs in Japan with a persistence that outrun others. This is bound to happen again once they get a whiff that she is here.”

 

“You don’t understand Kiyo-san, I had promised…” Moonbyul can feel herself shivering at the last word. “The boys, I can’t just—” The image of that smile in the beach overtakes her trail of thought. “I need to get her back, with or without any help.”

 

“Even my bodyguards aren’t that reliable when it comes to dealing with those ruffians, hm…” He tapped his chin and walked in circles. “You need a better ally. Do you know how to ride a bike?”

 

--

 

Bosozoku.

 

A word that basically means "violent running tribe", it is a group of racers that became less and even lesser in number  as the rules constricted their existence to the last drip. What makes them different from others will be the number one reason behind all the loudness and show of power from winning a race with their highly-modified bikes. They were here for a good show. They were here to play, only for the fun of it.

 

“Give them a reason to help you. Give them a reason to trust you.”

 

An approach at night in one district, and Moonbyul suddenly found herself in this race for two. That’s when she realizes that they didn’t need a reason, there is no need for sob stories; they want to see if you are worth it. Can she give them a good "chivalry" show they once proclaimed to be near extinct?

 

The only way to find out.

 

The bike rushed smoothly, entering the tunnel. Moonbyul still remembers the finishing point. She had to get to the pier first before her opponent. Even though most of the members are male, the one she’s racing against tonight is a girl, who cannot identify her face clearly thanks to tinted helmets. Perhaps if she had just taken this narrowed slit of two buildings…Her chest were swelled with pride as she caught a glimpse of red in front.

 

 

Until she noticed a slight shake on that bike.

 

 

 

They were almost at the finishing point, and both her hands and feet were busy with the brakes and control. Moonbyul made sure to consider the state of the road as she felt the temperature drop within the speed they were having at the time. Moonbyul is about to speed up before noticing the shake has become more violent than before.

 

This or that win. Of course.

 

Calculating the part of the pedestal where it is possible to swerve, all the zen of riding on two wheels were thrown out of the window when her opponent’s bike were suddenly caught fire. Her back combusted in flames as she accelerated. Muttering curses, she pulls a sharp right and sticks close to the girl’s bike (the rider seems to have zoned out) before leaping onto her and rolling through the pavement, away from the two bikes that crashed to the curb and burned spectacularly.

 

Moonbyul regarded it with horror at such a close call before noticing she had been holding so tight. Letting go awkwardly, she helps the girl to stand up, brushing off dust from the girl’s jacket. “Are you okay? We just barely made it…”

 

“Sakura!”

 

Members spill into the scene, franti

Please log in to read the full chapter