But Only One is A Wanderer

Solarium
Please log in to read the full chapter

It is often advised that before coming to a final decision on a certain subject we should 'sleep on it', and this advice is evidently justified.

 

Therefore, as she walked back from the house that day, trying hard to not think about things that perhaps could have been done differently, she performed all the rituals and chided herself to sleep at exactly 9 PM.

 

And to find herself waking up, feeling refreshed the next morning. After all the routine, mumbo-jumbo until the end of the day, there is only one thing lingered at the back of her mind.

 

For some reason, Moonbyul had this nagging feeling that it would be the last time she would ever see the girl.

 

So naturally, her steps taking her just alongside the road, her patience is lengthened under the traffic light, and proceed when the light for pedestrians turns green. After hasty steps, she finally arrived at the window, only to find it shut tight.

 

She tried to knock. Once, twice, no answer. It only fed more to this feeling that she couldn't quite explain. "Hyejin?"

 

The window is laced with a piece of plywood from the inside. Moonbyul was quite sure if her friend was inside, she most definitely could hear her.

 

"I know you are there. If you're not, I will just pretend."

 

A pregnant pause stands in between as she carefully selects her words.

 

"If only you would let me in," she murmured.

 

Judging from the soft gasp that slid out between the shutters, it seems that Moonbyul just hit it right on the nail. "I'm done with my shift for the day, Hyejin, so if you don't mind..."

 

She steps forward and crosses her legs as she sits, the top of her head almost bumping against the window and positioning herself there, adamant about waiting until her friend is willing to speak to her.

 

--

The bristles of crickets and faint steps rousing her awake.

 

The dim, orange-y light from the street lamp dawns on her, creating a familiar sense as familiar as you can get from a gang in a seedy neighborhood. Feeling a little bit drowsy, her squinted eyes check all over the place, only to be met with a pitch black sky stretching above her.

 

Just how long has she been asleep...?

 

The sudden move came on pause as she inspected the fabric that had been draped to cover her from the chest. Somebody just covered her with the fleece blanket with an obscure pattern. Really, she didn't even have to guess who just did that.

 

It was a mixed feeling; the fact that the girl is kind enough not to let her freeze to death waiting but didn't even spare a glance to meet her, saying a word or two.

 

Just as she is about to go home and come back another day, a vehicle parked just outside the house caught her attention. A limousine, the kind that creates almost no sound and no fuss in the neighborhood. Right in the middle of the night. There were several men in black attire crowding over the vehicle, and Moonbyul was just about to mind her own business if only she didn't see a figure sitting in a wheelchair among that crowd.

 

It is Hyejin. Looking so stunning with a black cocktail dress that showcased her bare shoulders. She is having a small conversation with one of the men shorter than her who keeps smiling all the time, looking a little bit too chirpy among the scary-looking guys.

 

Moonbyul was just trapped in a trance; it escaped her; the fact that Hyejin got into the limousine and drifted away so fast. A string of expletives escaped as she realized with a grimace that she left her bike at the convenience store. So she halts the cab and follows the limousine from there.

 

The limousine did not seem to bother with any detour as it takes curls and drives around the block endlessly, Moonbyul just have to promise the irritated driver for some extra bucks so they can keep going.

 

After circling around three blocks and the remaining five, they have finally arrived at their destination.

 

It is a skyscraper. Weird since Moonbyul always thinks of this tower as deserted; not lightened up as brightly as tonight. The shorter man comes out and opens the car door slowly, revealing Hyejin stepping her heels out as she strides out in the wheelchair, stirring steadily into the glass door and disappearing from sight.

 

It is now or never.

 

Moonbyul steps forward and follows from behind.

--

Two fingers pulled the front of her cap down her face as she scowled.

 

It just takes a minute to lose sight of that girl. So much for her sleuthing skills. She could only shake her head with closed eyes and try her best crossing along the high-ceilled hall, her steps going along the marbled floor that is much fancier than any clothes she ever put on.

 

She can only hope that her presence here won't look so out of her element. Moreover, just where is that girl?

 

Why is she here? Is this just a curiosity?

 

Her presence was met with an empty hall. As if this building just swallows Hyejin and the men whole and leaves nothing short of a trace. Just from her peripheral point of view is a gold-painted lift. Moonbyul jolted in surprise as the lift opened, showing a middle-aged man looking all dandy in a plain suit and black gloves. With the motion of his head, Moonbyul stepped inside hesitantly.

 

"What floor?"

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"Where do you want to go?"

 

The wrinkle above her brow grew more apparent as her mind was taken back to the inscription under the window she caught glimpses of before she fell asleep while waiting.

 

"I want to go to... Hwasa."

 

Her reply was answered with a faint nod as the gloved finger pressed the top button, pulling the golden leverage. Judging from the feet that felt like afloat and uncomfortable bubbles popping in her eardrums, the lift must have been taken to the highest floor.

 

Question marks swirling in her head as she goes back and forth between opening and closing , trying to string up a sentence seems futile as the man keeps looking straight forward, devoid of all emotions.

 

"What is this place?" ,"What are you looking for?"

 

Both sentences were uttered at the same time that it was just simply shocking to the girl.

 

"You have arrived."

 

The metallic door whirred open with a soft sound as Moonbyul got out of the lift, not forgetting her manners as she muttered her thanks to the man, and the lift was closed.

 

Her eyes scanned the hall

Please log in to read the full chapter