1969 Moon Landing (revised)

Solarium
Please log in to read the full chapter

They said she was named after the brightest star in the sky.

 

"You have to be grateful to be named after the brightest star in the sky."

 

"And combined with its companion, the Moon! What a genius."

 

Or maybe her father was just that obsessed with the moon landing. The historical moment in 1969 that shook the whole world, even with the nation's flag remained still in the windless moonscape.

 

A perfect match to her father's dreams of fortune. He would gladly give everything away for that one of luck, for that one chance at a turnabout.

 

And her mother, her sweet and demure mother, is doing everything she can to bring that dream to fruition, after years of questioning why he cannot just accept his wife and daughter as the fortune he always dreams of.

 

"Byul-ah, we have a mission."

 

She looked at her mother, quizzically.

 

"Mommy will try her best to let daddy see we are indeed his pride and joy. Now, don't you want the same? You should strive to be the pride and joy your father always wanted you to be."

 

Sitting on her mother's lap, it's not like she has a choice.

 

After all, she is her father's daughter. Isn't it the duty of all daughters in the world to make their father happy?

 

So she excelled in all lessons at school. Mathematics is no big deal. English is her favorite lesson. History is only the cherry on top. Does that make her a geek? Well, perhaps you can ask her 'admirers' to always clap and shriek every time she scores a goal for any team she joins. The sweat trickling from her hair and dripping from her chin is enough to drive the girl's raging hormones wild.

 

In every class, she excels. However, Art and Crafts is a different story.


Pay attention to the rim. Cut it evenly. Match it to the shapes. Do not miss any of the pieces; if so, point reduction. Don't forget to color it. Don't want to? Then you can kiss your score goodbye. She was this close to banging her rusty scissor on the table's edge when a voice cut through her thoughts.

 

"Your scissor is dull."

 

Startled, the elementary kid turned to face the classmate beside her. The first thing that she noticed was her mole.

 

"I'm almost finished anyway. Just get it back to me when you're done."

 

And she resumed her work, completely ignoring everyone around her.

 

"Thank… you."

 

"Don't mention it."

 

Okay, the silence unnerved her already. She put her hand towards the mole girl, who only stared back.

 

"My name is Moonbyul."

 

It takes a moment before she decides to shake her hand back.

 

"Hyejin."

 

 

<>

 

 

There was a collective agreement that the new transfer student will push the popular girl from the throne, but nothing changed. Moonbyul is still the same popular girl, surrounded by girls and receiving glares from boys. While Hyejin, the new transfer student, will always sit at that one seat near the window, surrounded by one and eventually, none.

 

"I heard she caused problems in her previous school. That must be the reason why she transferred here two months before the end of the school year."

 

"She reject

Please log in to read the full chapter