Seven

Thirty Seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung has been more aloof than usual these past few days. And it's staring to annoy the hell out of her friends.

 

Dahyun and Tzuyu have lately been hanging out with Jeongyeon's classmates. While it was good to have Jeongyeon and Mina —a.k.a. the normal one— around, the remaining two of the "Holy Trinity" have been too much to handle. They wished Chaeyoung was around so at least they have one more person on their side.

But M.I.A. she remained.

They noticed that Chaeyoung is doing better, no paleness, she doesn't look that lethargic anymore but she always go missing every lunch carrying some old book and will just come back right before the next period starts. Her behavior earned a couple of sighs from Dahyun, frustrated to the point that she even told Tzuyu to "Talk some sense to your friend, please."

But that's the tricky part. Tzuyu doesn't exactly know how to do that.

Tzuyu has been always the quiet one in their group. At first being friends with her friends felt more of a social responsibility than an actual bonding because of how troublesome the DubChaeng duo were, plus her stepsis who just loved to make her playmates cry. So basically she's the equalizer. The one who made the excuses so her friends won't be scolded. Things calmed down as they aged though, and she turned into being the observer.

Now Tzuyu doesn't know how to do it because she's trained to dodge, not to throw. Or to tell to her two bestfriends that she's absolutely sure something's been going on between the two of them and they still aren't telling it to her, which hurts a bit, but it's okay. They can do it comfortably. She can wait.

But Chaeyoung needs to be back with them every lunch, because she's starting to lose her wits.

 

...

 

Chaeyoung is not intentionally avoiding having lunch with her clique for a week now because of Mina. Hell no.

Not entirely.

Maybe a bit... but she also have other reasons. Don't judge.

While the embarrassment is still making it hard for her to face Mina, her recent discovery that is her grandma's diary has been keeping her busy. To find out that she's not the only one who have some kind of a quirk gave her a little ray of hope. To understand what she is. To make the people around her understand what she is. To make Mina understand.

And there goes her mind again, drifting away to Mina. Will it ever stop?

But of course Mina must have the explanation she deserves. And she must tell everything to her clearly. So even if will, unfortunately, have to take some time she'll crack this one heck of a cryptic piece to know everything.

So slowly she takes one step forward to her spot to continue her research... if this even counts as one.

"Until when are you gonna keep this up, Son?", she looked up to see Dahyun standing by the rooftop's doorway. Waiting for her.

"Uh... Dubs... Hi! Uhm, what are you doing here?", Chaeng is not expecting this.

"Checking on you. You have been a distant lately. Did something happen?", Dahyun asked.

"No nothing happened... I just—"

"Just what?", Chaeyoung is fidgeting as she internally bashes her brain for an answer.

"Uh... things. But it's no biggie, Dubs. Just reading things lately. I've been into books, yeah. I'm a reader now hahaha!", Dahyun sighed after hearing Chaeyoung's answer. This is pointless. She ain't gonna say anything.

"Fine. I can't push you to tell me, I'll leave you to it. Just please make sure to keep your promise.", Dahyun said as she walks down, back to their classroom. She's doing it again —being selfish. This has to change. So Chaeyoung stopped her, holding both of Dahyun's shoulders.

Maybe a little help is needed, and it's time to reach out.

"Can you swing by to my place later? We need to talk, actually." she finally admitted, earning a smile from the other.

"See? It's not that hard to say something, right?", Dahyun retorts. "Let's go back now, I have cram school later though. Should I ditch it?"

Chaeyoung laughed at her friend's remark, as if that's possible. "Halt now, delinquent Kim. Just sleep over at my place then."

 

And the two settled the rest as they walk back, unaware that Tzuyu has been listening to them all the while.

 

"I guess I don't have to do the talking after all."

 

When they're ready. I'll just have to wait.

 

...

 

Chaeyoung is now back with the squad. Eating lunch with them. Funny how things can easily be repaired by establishing proper communication right? She's trying not to be bothered by the fact that Mina is there breathing the same air with her, within such close proximity. It still feels surreal, hearing her voice blending with her friends', her smiles being freely given to them. To them only, because she still can't dare t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter