Thirteen

Thirty Seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hero to zero
I pick up the bill
The brake lights cast a red light
And the road twists round the hill

 

Ten minutes away from the school gates, inside her mom's car, Dahyun continues to crank up the volume of her music. She took a look at herself at her phone's reflective case: I look ty. But not that it matters, everyone is ty. She checks her phone to make sure that the current song will be on repeat.

Mrs. Kim glances at her daughter as she continues to drive, internally bewildered, as it is the first time she'll ever be driving Dahyun to school. She always insisted to commute or carpool with her friends to avoid standing out. Dahyun has always been proper, polite and smart —a kid worthy of the Kim name and all the prestige that comes with it. Even though it is highly unusual for her child to take a break from attending her classes, she is certain that Dahyun will be just fine. She is her child after all, they eat A+ for breakfast. She was also assured by her teachers that Dahyun has been displaying outstanding performance and that the week-long leave will be helpful for her to recuperate from the recent pressure that has come with being a top student. But of course that's a lie devised by Momo, Jeongyeon, Chaeyoung and the others with the help of Jihyo to make sure that the Kims won't hear anything about Dahyun going rouge at her classmates for unknown reasons. 

 

Lipstick on the backseat
Saliva on the dash
I've clawed my way out of here before
But I keep on coming back

 

"We're here.", Mrs. Kim said as Dahyun unbuckled her seatbelt, nodding as she goes out of the car, earning "Ooh's" and "Wow's" from students and teachers as well. After all, a white Rolls Royce Cullinan pulling up in front of your school to drop someone isn't a common occurrence. "Thank you, Mother. Be safe on your way to work.", Dahyun says as she closes the car door, walking straight to the main building. Ignoring the looks she's getting. Focus on the music, focus on the music. She proceeds to get her Ray-Bans, to hide her the growing rage and disgust that she's feels at these morons as their filth slowly seeps through the miniscule space between her ear and her Airpods. She continues to crank the volume of her music, that has been on max since she left their house. 

 

I push and you tend to shove
I give in and you don't give up
I'm not getting out of here this time
I brought a lemon to a knife fight

 

She breezes through the crowd with an all-new aura, onlookers can't help but ask if it really is Kim Dahyun they're seeing: the Kim Dahyun who would spend 10 good minutes of her time greeting her schoolmates and asking how their morning was. Telling them to have a great day ahead, and to ask if they need help with anything. The Kim Dahyun they're witnessing right now, didn't even gave a portion of a to a student that trip on their toes 2 yards away from where her locker is. This is news. 

Damn ing right I am. And you'll see what I can do.  

She slams her locker door closed, a few girls shrieked. She just let out a chuckle. Serves you all right.

Dahyun continued her walk to her classroom, she knows what's waiting for her, and that made her clench her bag strap tighter. It doesn't matter. She took a few deep breaths i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter