One

Thirty Seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"All motion is relative. Maybe it's you who've moved away by standing still." - Jerome Lawrence

 

 

 

And the bell rings.

Entrance ceremonies are boring as hell. But it's part of the tradition, and there's nothing that can stop it. Except a major earthquake or a fire perhaps? But being an arsonist is too much of an effort, so here I am making my way to the gymnasium. The weather's nice, the halls of this old building are well-lit, and the breeze is just right, it's spring after all. Dahyun will surely scold me for being late again, but there's nothing really practical to get from gatherings like that. You'll have to sit through two grueling hours of adults telling you to reach for your dreams but they'll also be the ones to turn you down and reject your passion if it doesn't fit "what the society needs.", so full of . Maybe arson isn't so bad? 

A slip. A pause. Funny how an unfortunate event leads to a series of more unfortunate events. But maybe that's why the Butterfly Effect is created, because humans always need a word they can turn to when chaos happens. And it is easier indeed to project the fault to a concept than to a person.

It's always the need to make sense.

Oh.

Beep

One

Two

Three

Here we go.

"What the hell are you doing? You should watch where you're walking."

A girl is now mid-air, two seconds away from falling head first to the floor. Chaeyoung approached, thinking that a bruised face won't be a good start for someone's school year.

Okay, I should move you a bit, maybe landing on your won't hurt that much? 

It's always the need to change something.

Four

Five

Six

"Pardon me for a bit, I just need to reposition your fall okay?"

Her uniform's different, must be a freshman; or so she thought. And yes, that's a really pretty face. Other thoughts ran through our intruder's brain: Can people in shock be this cute? God really have their favorites, she finally knew.

We're almost done, hang on.

It's always the obliviousness inside us.

Seven

Eight

Nine

Ten

Eleven

"There you go. I hope it won't hurt. Take care from now on."

Chaeyoung took another good look at the masterpiece she created —or altered. A second to fall, a second to scream. Maybe two or three to look around and see if she embarrassed her self on her very first day in school.

Twelve

Thirteen

Fourteen

Fifteen

Should I adjust it more? What if her skirt flips. Wait, is there anyone coming? Oh, no one. You should be good then.

Sixteen

Seventeen

Eighteen

How long has it been? Holy ! Eighteen?! I need to run now!

She glanced back one more time before fleeing the scene. Like a graffiti artist finishing their work on their roller shutter canvas just before the store owner comes.

"See you again fresh meat!"

A job well done, indeed.

Nineteen

Twenty

Twenty one

Twenty two

Twenty three

How freaking long is this hallway exactly?! Where's the exit? My ing legs hurt!

Remember when our Moms used to tell us to drink our milk and to run outside under the afternoon sun? Yeah, Chaeng didn't listen too. And boy does she regret it. Staying fit is a must, especially when you only have a small fraction of time to do your act and escape right after. Going to the gym now sounds enticing to her. Maybe it's time to get that membership.

Twenty five

Twenty six

Twenty seven

"WHERE IS THE EX— Oh there it is just a bit more. A few more steps, just a few more!"

Her breaths are labored, but what can you expect if you're the human equivalent of a slug? And who said running is fun? Chaeng surely isn't having any of it. But she must gather her remaining energy to make a turn to the left, where a door leading outside is located.

Twenty eight

Twenty nine

"Gyaaaaa!", that's her war cry. Don't judge.

Thirty

Beep

"Aaaah!", the girl yelled.

Whoa, that was close! That was her right? I heard a thud. She should be okay. I'm sweating so much! Oh yeah, the ceremony. This really .

She leaned her body against the wall, she needs a bit of support. The air feels so thin. Her lungs are struggling. She's dead, especially when Dahyun sees her. But isn't it thrilling?, Chaeng reasoned to herself, it's like having a grand show that you're the only one who can watch. She took one deep inhale, and started to walk towards the gymnasium.

 

It is always the obliviousness inside us that cloud our minds.

 

...


And so she arrives. Luckily the teachers hadn't noticed that there's a late comer ducking her way to her seat. Dahyun spotted her, of course, the girl has been anxiously guarding t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter