Six

Thirty Seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The trap is closed.

 

Mina is on her 15th "Eh?" of the day, still perplexed with how yesterday's events went. She certainly did not expect Chaeyoung's reaction. Did she come out too strong? Or perhaps she just doesn't want to be touched? Or was her grip too tight? She kept finding reasons that are logical enough. And she's having a hard time.

Guess she'll have to find out from the time-stopper herself.

"Jeongyeonie...", Mina called her seatmate, who's scribbling madly at her notebook.

"Ah, Mina-ya, I'm kinda busy... ugh, this homework.", Jeongyeon answered her, still rushing to finish everything before their teacher comes in.

"Here, just copy mine. It'll save you time.", Mina offered her notebook. She looked at her like she just discovered the new Messiah.

Jeongyeon escaped today's detention and scolding. She won.

 

And so did Mina.

 

...

 

 

Lunch is going well for most of the students. The breeze is light and the sun is hiding behind the clouds. Again, it's going well for most of the students, except three.

One is contemplating of leaving the country —or the continent.

Two is just one inch away from throwing punches and burning the school down.

And the third one is just royally screwed.

That's Tzuyu, Dahyun and Chaeyoung respectively. Because of Sana, Momo, and... Mina. Which were brought by Jeongyeon to their spot thinking it was a good idea. Maybe it is?

They've formed some sort of a circle, food out but the tension is not really making anyone hungry. No one, in fact, is chewing or saying a word.

"So, uh... everyone, this is Mina, a fresh meat. And our classmate.", Jeongyeon took the first step. Momo and Sana clapped, Tzuyu and Dahyun (sort of) bowed and politely introduced themselves. But Chaeyoung retained her gaze on the rice cakes inside her Dahyun's lunch box. Mina is just looking at her, calculating things inside her head.

"Oh, and that one over there having a staring battle with her food is Son Chaeyoung.", Jeongyeon added. That seemed to snap the younger out of her thoughts and made her look at the new company that they have. She bowed her head slightly. Her mind is hazed, with a tons of questions inside it  that she won't have any answer to. She's disturbed by the newest info she got from investigating Myoui Mina:

  - She's immune to Chaeng's ability.

"Nice to meet you, Chaeyoung-ssi."

And there it is. Chaeng wished that it could just stop. That faint tug her gut feels whenever Mina speaks, or exists, in general. She's in the middle of a crisis but still all she can recognize is how lovely her name sounded when Mina said it.

Chaeng stood up. It suprised everyone when she just walked away without saying a word. Not looking back.

It's not such a good idea, after all.


...

 

"You know that you can't run away forever, right?"

Chaeyoung almost shrieked after hearing that. How can she find her so easily.

Mina and her blonde hair, blowing against the spring winds of the school's rooftop. Making her way to her. Making her way to her. To her.

I'm dying inside and your smile is not helping, Mina.

"I'm not gonna hurt you. Or share to others what I know. I do get the feeling that we might be the only ones aware.", she continued as she sits at the other end of the bench Chaeng is sitting at, minding the distance between them. She doesn't wanna threaten the girl away.

"I won't force you to speak. But it is only fair that I have questions, don't you think? Considering the events that have happened since school started.", Chaeng dared to glance back only to meet those hazel brown eyes already fixed at her, and she just wants to confess everything she knows and even the ones that she don't. Because this is insane —how fast the tables have turned. She was the one with the power, but yet she feels so weak, against her. She messed up and the result is irreversible. But how can she even start? What is the logic or reason behind all of this? Chaeyoung doesn't even know what happened that made her obtain whatever this is that she has. She just kept on rethinking all ways to explain, rejecting one after the other, because they're just not good enough.

And she knew it right from the start, from the very first 30 seconds. The way Chaeyoung moved her body. The stolen moments at her Chemistry class, and the gossips inside the Cafeteria she interrupted. She knows. Everything Chaeyoung said, Mina heard. Every. Single. One.

And she just wished that a lightning strike would just knock down her predicament away. But it's April. That's impossible.

Like avoiding Myoui Mina.

"You look like you're in pain... I apologize for imposing too much on you, Chaeyoung-ssi. I'm sure you're more confused than I am. So I won't add to that for now. You can talk to me when you're ready.", Mina finally spoke as she stood up, fixing her skirt.

Chaeng can only bow down, no words coming out of her. She sighed, at the very l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter