Eleven

Thirty Seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The truth is always awful. Ugly. Unapologetic. Vile.

Once you become exposed to the filth of reality, it changes you.

And you start to doubt every single thing you used to believed in.

 

...

 

Chaeyoung walked in to her classroom, a smile plastered on her face; excited for what today has to offer. That smile quickly turned to a questioning look as she sees Tzuyu standing next to her seat, waiting.

"What's up?", Chaeyoung asked as she slumps herself to her seat.

"Dahyun. She's been quiet since I got here.", Tzuyu replied, glacing back to Dahyun's seat. She's reading, with her earphones on, an obvious sign that she don't want to talk to anyone.

"She might've wokne on the wrong side of the bed, Tzu. We'll talk to her later at lunch.", she said as she rearrange the stuff she has under her desk. She glanced one more time at her friend. Still pale, and sitting upright, like the top student she is.

 

Dahyun is the human equivalent of Serotonin. She'll smile at you as if you have never done anything wrong in your life. Like a light that surrounds  the world, she gets along with almost all students —from the jocks to the cheerleaders, the members of the Occult Club, the students who mostly spend their time outside their rooms, even the ones who are rumored to be a part of a gang. Everyone likes Dahyun. Dahyun likes everyone.

 

And during the whole morning, Dahyun didn't smile. Not even once.

 

...

 

Chaeyoung is strolling thru the hallway alone, cafeteria-bound, humming along with the chirping birds from the outside. The talk that was promised didn't happened, because Dahyun quickly declined and said that she'll need to go to the library. And Tzuyu would just take a nap in the clinic instead of being ogled again by the student population. That's the downside of being popular. It takes the peace out of someone's life. Hera mind drifted once again to its favorite subject —Mina. Another popular girl.

How is she doing?

Whether Chaeyoung is lucky to meet such amazing people or is cursed because being with them means being seen, she can't tell.

Chaeyoung continues to walk outside of the food jungle and onto one of the benches along the courtyard, munching the food she just bought. Unaware of what's about to come—

 

"Mind if I join you?"

 

Chaeyoung turns around, and there she is —her favorite thought, smiling at her, lunch box in hand; like a genie who just heard her wish and decided to grant it. Chaeyoung is, once again, lost —not with her thoughts, but inside the girl's eyes. And how she became worthy of maintaining this contact despite of what she had done. So a sudden flush rose to her cheeks, making her turn away, unable to say anything. Words are a great tool, but Chaeyoung doesn't know how to use it.

Mina might've gotten a clue of the younger's internal struggle. She walked ahead of her and sit herself on the bench in front of them, tapping the surface beside her lightly, calling Chaeyoung out.

"Come join me instead.", Mina said. And Chaeyoung automatically moved, like a marionette who's string got pulled.

"Do you know that I still haven't got a full grasp of what your voice sounds like?", Mina looks at her lunchmate as she started to speak again. Determined to hold a proper conversation this time. Chaeyoung watched as Mina carefully untied the cover of her bento box, and opened it to reveal a glistening serving of omurice adorned by a penguin drawing using ketchup paired with gracious pieces of octopus-shaped sausages.

"My voice?", Chaeyoung answered. Mina looked back at her, and nodded before putting her hands together; a little prayer to bless the food. Chaeyoung panicked and clasped her hands too, making some bits of her rice ball fall to her skirt. She turned around to meet Mina giggling at her, eyes closed, giving way for everyone to focus on her gummy smile.

Someone's breath hitched.

"What are you doing? Your skirt—", another round of soft laughs becomes audible to Chaeyoung. Part of her wants to pat herself on the back for making Mina cackle, another part wants to murder her for being such an embarrassment. Is dirtying your skirt comedic now? Maybe.

Chaeyoung settled for a sigh. She waited for Mina to recover, wiping her happy tears away. Mina quickly fixed herself to answer the lingering question.

"Yes, your voice. Whenever you stop time and speak, your voice sounds distorted, like we're underwater. And the first time we spoke I mostly did the talking. So I haven't really heard your voice yet. Will you be able to answer my questions now?"

Chaeyoung gulped, it was time.

 

"Sure.", and she starts.

 

...

 

It was Chaeyoung's 12th birthday. Her mom and was busy with cooking and she is bored. The party hasn't started yet. Her new-found friend Tzuyu, or who she calls as "ChouTzu" because it sounded cool for her, is mesmerized with the older woman cooking and decided that she will stay, while hugging her dog plushie.

So Chaeyoung walked to the garden, where Dahyun is p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter