Five

Thirty Seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changes are inevitable. Chaeyoung never knew.

 

She decided to take an break from school after the gym incident, after seeing her mom fight back her tears from falling as Dahyun explained to her what happened. Dahyun almost slammed her forehead against the floor from bowing profusely, muttering her apologies for not taking care of Chaeyoung well. Mrs. Son just lifted the girl's head up, saying "Thank you for being her friend", both to Dahyun and Tzuyu. Making Dahyun sob again. After things have calmed down, they had a nice dinner and Mr. Son drove the two back to their homes.

Morning came. Chaeyoung jolted up from her bed, then later laughed at her own stupidity. No school for her today, and the next two days. It was supposed to be a one-day break but Jeongyeon scolded her thru the phone about how resting for 24 hours is just not enough for a kid like her, and proceeded to text Dahyun for help, which she gladly gave. Next thing she knew: Jihyo, the Student Council president, texted her that she had been excused for three days, and wished for her fast recovery. Her friends and their connections.

So there's nothing much to do for today. She went back to her bed, and blasted Wouter Hamel's Breezy on her phone, humming along to it. Raising her arms and legs in the air, swaying them around like those inflatables you see outside of a store. She wonder what Mina is doing, is her desk full of letters and gifts from her admirers? Is she laughing with her friends? Is she jotting down notes or just listening with full focus to what her teachers have to say? Before, days like this —out of the confides of her school, are precious to Chaeyoung. She would wake up late, eat, and go roam around outside; taking the world in, capturing its vividness thru the films of her camera, or the space of her sketch pad. She would go to playgrounds, draw kids making mud pies and sand fortresses, with trees flowing long with the wind. The rays of the setting sun illuminating all, making everything look golden. Or she would sit by the river waiting for soft turtles to rise to the shore, a chance to make a wish. She would strum her Ukelele, play a chord or two, sing along with lyrics of her own. She would stop time to adore everything she's seeing, to feel it, be it.

So you see, never once had Chaeyoung made her world revolve around a single person. She has always been free. Free to move, free to do anything she wanted. Free to express herself as she is. No space in her brain occupied by thoughts of someone's blonde hair that the air carries with utmost gentleness. Hands that turn everything it touches into elegance. Steps as light as a feather. Lips that form a perfect curve as she smiles. Gaze that are both kind and dauntless. Voice so tiny and soft it makes you melt.

Never once had Chaeyoung noticed these details on a person. Of how someone's eyes can be as golden as the sun. How her laugh can be so refreshing like the breeze on the riverside. Of how little by little, the free space in her mind is becoming filled with thoughts of Mina.

Mina. Mina. Mina.

Chaeyoung hears a siren's song. Mina. Mina. Mina.

Still not realizing that she had set herself up, baited, to the worst trap known to mankind.

 

...

 

And rules we're established.

Chaeyoung is woken up by the rumbling on the other side of her bedroom. She gets up to see what is going on. Dahyun is there, with a white board filled with detailed steps titled,

Project: Keeping Chronus' Descendant IN CHECK

"What the hell?", is the first thing that came to her mind and mouth.

"Okay, I only have like 2 hours here before I yeet over to cram school. So I need your attention, Chaengchaeng.", Dahyun rebuts, tapping the white board behind her.

"Yeet?", She laughs at her friend's choice of words, "Get off Twitter Dubs, seriously."

"Not the topic! So *ehem* in light of recent events that is YOU passing out due to extreme exhaustion caused by making time stop TOO MUCH, I have devised an overall wellness plan to prevent you from overusing your power, and improve your health. Also this includes a workout and diet plan, courtesy of Chou Tzuyu, to improve your stamina. We based it on the current plan? Though I wouldn't even call it a plan, 'coz all you did was jog and drink Red Bull...", Dahyun rambled on.

"Hey, hey, I know that already, I'm sorry. So I can't drink Red Bull anymore?", Chaeyoung asked.

"Not anymore! Well, unless it a real emergency. But what I want to emphasize in this plan is... this—", Dahyun pointed at one of the sticky notes pasted on the board, "You won't be using your power for the meantime, starting tomorrow."

"Who's gonna keep in check? It's not like you can move while I'm stopping time right?", she teasingly replied.

Dahyun sighed, she walked to Chae

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter