Twelve

Thirty Seconds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung is welcomed by an empty seat in front of her, again. It has been a week since Dahyun decided to just shut herself out from the rest of the world, and her friends still don't know why. Tzuyu has been snarling at people who mention the girl's name —a desperate attempt to dissolve the gossips spreading around like the new plague to the student population, even if she herself is unsure of what is real. And it's not like they didn't try to reach out to Dahyun to know the truth, or to just offer a shoulder she can lean on... but the words of Mrs. Kim are clear and piercing: she does not want to see anyone.

"This is getting worse, Chaeng.", Tzuyu said as she settles herself on Dahyun's seat, facing the new comer.

"I know, but she's not telling us anything..." Chaeyoung replied, rubbing her temples. She's been having headaches since that disastrous day, really pouring her neurons to get even just a tiny clue of what has ticked the bomb inside her friend, but she can't think of anything. Chaeyoung has never met a person who can match her Grandma's patience, until Dahyun came. She's strong, and calm even under the heaviest of pressures, a.k.a. her parents. And to her friends, she's the voice of reason among their little group, and with her gone... things are going insane.

Tzuyu left out a dry chuckle that sent her at the edge of her seat, Is she gonna punch me?!

"And is that suppposed to stop us from helping her? We can't just pray to God for her to just come back, because first of all: God's a , and what Dahyun needs us right now. We move and we'll never stop until she's back and okay.", Chaeyoung was -slapped by Tzuyu's words. Moping around because Dahyun's not here isn't gonna change the situation. They can't just wait and hope for the best, they need to do something for Dahyun —anything.

 

"Yeah, we need to talk to her.", Chaeyoung said with eyes staring straight at the vacant desk that belonged to her bestfriend.

 

 

...

 

 

The bell rang throughout the school for the fourth time, marking the start of their lunch. Tzuyu and Chaeyoung stood up in perfect sync, walking steadfast to the door. As they stroll along the hall and to the courtyard, they were stopped by Jeongyeon's yell, behind her trailing the popular Japanese trio. Chaeyoung glanced at Tzuyu, who replied with a nod —her face void of any feelings.

"Got any news?", Momo fired away after reaching their spot. Chaeyoung glanced to Mina, who gave a small smile, serving as an assurance that it's okay.

"Nothing. Mrs. Kim wouldn't even let us go to her room. She's not answering our calls too.", Chaeng finally answers the question.

"That's not like her. What could've happened?", Sana asked, flipping a switch inside Tzuyu, again.

"She ing snapped, that's what happened. She got fed up with the people here, all these happy-go-lucky morons who think she got it easy just cause she's all bright and . But they haven't got a damn clue about wha—"

"Tzu, enough.", Jeongyeon quickly halted her sister before Sana's head sink any deeper than it already has. Tzuyu cleared , and muttered an apology, but it's clear that she's still on her fight mode.

"If it really is just the idiots here, she wouldn't act out like that, Dahyun is patient, too patient for her own good. Dahyun would just sigh at the sight of a trashed room. She would rather fix what's wrong rather than calling it out. It's clearly something else. If you wanna make her get out of that room, better start thinking.", Momo said as she stood up, collecting her things. The rest was just dumbfounded with what they just heard.

"Where are you going?", Sana asked as she tugged Momo's skirt.

"Gotta get some fresh air.", Momo answered as she walked away from the group.

And the ones left at the courtyard spent their remaining free time in silence.
 

 

...
 

 

"So you got a plan too huh?", Mina said as she approached her friend, who quickly fell out of the fence she had been desperately trying to climb.

"What the fu– Mina?! What are you doing here?!", Momo replied with a hushed voiced.

Mina wants to laugh at the blushing mess in front of her, but she knows better than that.

"Making sure you won't get arrested for trespassing, Momoring."

Momo dusted herself off, looking up at a window she wants to peek into, an effort to retain her sanity.

"I can't just do nothing, Mina. You know me... I can't just let her be like this.", Momo replied. "I can't just keep on doing nothing while she–"

"I know, I'm not trying to stop you. I'm here to help.", Mina answers as she points a tree at the side of the Kim's house, It's not that tall for them to have a visual inside the house, but it would be enough to let them jump on the other side of the fence.

"Fine, I can use you. Let's go!", Momo quickly ran to the tree with Mina trailing behind her, serving as the lookout. Momo started to climb, and quickly leaped into the Kims' yard. She glanced back to Mina who pointed at her phone, meaning she'd call her if anyone's near. Momo nodded and proceeded to crawl her way to the side of the house, peeked at its large glass door, checking if anyone's inside. She sighed at the sight of an empty living room and kitchen, maybe Dahyun's parents are still at work.

Momo steps inside, unaware of the risk she's putting herself into, and went straight to the display of plaques and trophies that all belongs to Dahyun. Piano recitals, writing competitions, girl's scout badges —it's all there. From when she's five until now, she never failed to bring home a medal, like soldier decorated with every war she have won.

You really got it all, don't you Kim?, Momo's eyes wander more till she found a family photo, captured at what seemed to be a Science fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter