25 (Five)

Brash And Curious

          I blink. “What do you mean?”

          “I said to you before that the bride is my university classmate, right.” Daeun starts. “I think… The one who was with you before… It’s her ex.”

          My mind goes blank for a while, then I close my mouth. “Are you sure?”

          “I guess… His name was… Baek-something?”

          “A moment.” I take Daeun to a corner behind the door, and I gulp. “Can you elaborate a bit?”

          “Um… Here’s the thing. Soojin—the bride—and I weren’t super close or something, but we were in the same class and followed each other on SNS. She’s a frequent poster, so… I saw her and her boyfriend—well, ex—a lot. I saw him at school too, a few times. I guess it was often enough that I could still remember his face.” Daeun touches her neck.

          “When did they break up?” I ask.

          “I think it was during his military service? Because I remember seeing photos of her seeing him off on the day of his enlistment.” Daeun exhales. “While looking at her posts, I thought they’d last together, you know… He was there during her classes, birthdays, graduation…”

          I’m silently listening to her while unconsciously having my fingers curled in front of my lips.

          “Soojin suddenly deleted her SNS that time in winter last year, maybe it’s around that time.” Daeun sighs. Suddenly her walkie talkie buzzes, and she’s back to work mode. “Lana, I’ll see you later!”

          I look around the nearly empty wedding hall, and my heart feels heavy. I turn around, but upon seeing the packed dining room, I look for the exit and head to the elevator.

          While waiting, I check my purse and see that Baekhyun’s key card is there. I take a deep breath, being half uncertain and half nervous.

          I arrive in front of his room, and realize just now that my feet are throbbing after speedwalking in these heels. My throat feels dry. What am I going to say?

          Wait, I don’t even know if he’s still here. He might have left somewhere already. I bite the insides of my lips, and close my eyes. I guess I should just check.

          I carefully press the card to the lock, and slowly open the door. “Baekhyun?” I mumble, then silently scold myself. He wouldn’t hear with that volume.

          I let myself in, and close the door. His bedroom comes into full view now, and I grit my teeth. It’s empty.

          It’s currently cluttered—not like he’s severely thrashed it, but definitely way messier than how it was yesterday when I visited. Things are pushed away from its place, and half of the bed cover is on the floor. I don’t see any of his personal belongings around, and I loudly groan. He’s not here.

          A sound of door handle being pushed down is heard, and my heart jumps. I turn around, and the bathroom is opened from inside by someone. Baekhyun appears, and I squat down to the floor while clutching my purse.

          “Oh God, Baekhyun—I thought you—”

          Baekhyun looks at me without a word, and closes the door. I stand up again and observe his appearance. In just an hour, the clean-cut gentleman has turned into someone with darkening eyes and disheveled hair. He’s taken off the suit, only wearing the white shirt on his upper body with the sleeves rolled up to the elbow. He puts one hand inside his pants pocket, and continues to silently watch me.

          I fix my wrinkled dress, and my lips. I look at the floor and bite my tongue. "I'mI'm sorry."

          "What are you sorry for?"

          I clench my teeth. "The wedding..."

          "Why?" Baekhyun asks again, and while he doesn't sound pushing, his flat tone strangely intimidates me instead.

          I look away somewhere. "You... You know someone from the wedding, right?"

          "How did you find out?"

          I slowly let my head down, and Baekhyun is heard scoffing slowly.

          "Well, we were pretty public that time, at least someone is bound to recognize me there." he walks to the TV desk, and leans on it while facing me. "They must think I'm crazy for coming."

          "I'm really sorry." I hopelessly say. "I didn't know..."

          "Of course you didn't." Baekhyun says with his arms crossed, his veins are visibly bulging. "And I also didn't know she'd hold her wedding here. Of all hotels and wedding halls in this entire country... And it's being held here. Wow."

          My chest is feeling weighty. I'm not even able to utter words, let alone comfort him.

          I walk closer to where he is, and fix his folded collar slowly. "Should I... just leave?"

          Baekhyun stands up straight, then he softly takes my purse away from my hand and puts it to the drawer on the TV desk. He looks at me, and his eyes soften. No, not exactly soften—they’re now just less tense-looking than a few moments ago.

          He lets his head down, and I look at the top of his head in front of me. His chocolate-colored hair falls softly, and I’m dying to run my fingers on it. He takes a step forward, and puts his head on my shoulder.

          "Don’t leave.”

          His warm cheek sticks to my bare shoulder, and my chest starts drumming. I can only hear his soft breath in this silent room.

          The bell suddenly rings, and we both look at the door. It's rung again in 2 seconds, now followed by a frantic knock. "Baekhyun? Byun Baekhyun!"

          "Isn't that your father?" I hold both of his shoulders.

          "I think so." Baekhyun says, somehow looking unbothered.

          "I shouldn't be here." I say, and look around to find somewhere to hide. Baekhyun takes my wrist and holds me in place.

          “Why? Just stay here.”

          “I hate questions.” I shake my head, and eye the bathroom. “I’ll be inside.”

          I lock myself inside the bathroom, but stick close to the door to eavesdrop. Why is GM Byun here?

          I hear Baekhyun opening the door, and quick footsteps of GM Byun entering the room.

          "You—you went to the wedding on the twenty fifth floor? Are you even in the position to attend her wedding? You said that time she just disappeared!"

          "How did you know I went?" Baekhyun asks in a reserved tone.

          "I was going to make a short visit to congratulate the couple as the general manager, do you know how shocked I was when I looked at the photos outside? I met Hong Lana's parents and they said you went with them!" GM Byun sounds fiery. "Did Soojin that girl invite you? How dare she—"

          "I knew nothing, I was only there to accompany Lana. I left as soon as I realized who the bride is. So, you met her?" Baekhyun asks calmly.

          "The couple was changing their clothes so I only met her parents—it's a good thing I never met them before—and the groom's parents. Kangdae Steel, huh? She got herself a big one... Is that why she left you?”

          "I don't know. Probably.”

          "Why is she holding the wedding here? Is she trying to show off? Maybe she knows I work here!"

          "First, I think it's all coincidental. Second, to her you only said you worked at a hotel, you didn't want to say your position or where the hotel was because you hadn't been a general manager yet. We generally rarely talked about our parents that time." Baekhyun starts listing without missing a beat. "Lastly, would you even go there if it weren't a VIP? Go back to work, Father."

          GM Byun isn't responding. "You, are you okay?" he says after nearly a full minute.

          "I will be." Baekhyun mutters. "Ignore the room, I was being emotional for a second."

          “That gold-digger…”

          “Father, stop.” Baekhyun turns stern.

          GM Byun is heard exhaling loudly. “I’m leaving.”

          Soon I hear the sound of the door closing. I’m staying still, hesitant to come out of here. Some time later the door handle is pushed down, and Baekhyun opens the door carefully. “You can get out now.”

          I nod, and follow him outside. We’re standing in front of the TV again, and I think of what to say.

          "Your parents have met her a lot, it seems." I comment. I realize what I said, then shake my head frantically. “Wait—sorry. I won’t talk anymore.”

          “It’s okay. You have heard a lot anyway.” Baekhyun shrugs. “Yeah, they did, a few times… She must have left quite an impression for my father to remember.”

          I pull the sides of my mouth. “How do you feel now?”

          I’m the one who leans on the TV desk now, and Baekhyun comes to me. He places his hands on my elbows, and emptily staring down.

          His hands drop slowly, and meet mine on the end of my arms, supported by the desk. I try not to shiver to feel his warm, rough hands above my own.

          He puts his head next to my neck again, and silence falls. He doesn’t even move. I free my hands, and embrace him. He moves his hands to my back, and we stay like that for awhile. I breathe in his scent, and his perfume soothes me.

          Baekhyun breaks the hug, and for a second I feel empty. He then reaches for my hand, and pulls me close. I betray any might to look up, and I force myself to stare at his buttoned-up shirt which covered his chest.

          His other hand moves, and I even follow its movement until it arrives on my chin and lifts it up.

          Before I could blink, my vision goes darker, along with something that just hits my lips. Baekhyun’s. Not only a simple hit, but his lips go on a full force, straight up attacking me. I close my eyes, and after processing this event, I decide to kiss him back.