20 (Six)

Brash And Curious

          He pushes my hands down with one hand, and rises to his feet. His sudden movement makes me stumble a bit, but he catches me by my waist and before I could stand again properly my vision goes dark and I’m silenced by his lips.

          He has enough conscience to keep it quick and short, and I just got to close my eyes for only a second when I realize it’s finished. I vacantly stare at his chin in front of me, and I can hear his soft breath amidst this very quiet room.

          I take him by the collar, and Baekhyun clenches his jaw. “What. Did you do?” I try to speak with gritted teeth.

          His hand slowly goes away from my waist, and he looks down to meet my eyes. He says nothing.

          “Don’t do this.” he finally says something, almost inaudible. I furrow my brows. “Don’t do this—you make me want to do that again.” he repeats.

          My mouth parts in disbelief, and I put more pressure on my grip. Baekhyun is pushed backward, and his lower body hits the bed. He loses his balance and falls down, and I’m unluckily dragged along, landing on top of him.

          I can hear the makeup remover bottle falling down to the floor, and I heave a deep breath. This isn’t going well.

          Baekhyun is looking legitimately shocked this time, and he lifts his head with dazed eyes. “Oh—wow—I didn’t know—you’re in a hurry.”

          I roll to one side, and stand up in one very swift motion. I feel very dizzy after doing it, as if I need more headache. I see Baekhyun sitting down, and he has a small, teasing smile curved on his lips.

          “Don’t make that face.” I screech.

          “Why? Does it make you like me more?” he asks.

          “I don’t—!” I stop halfway. Why is it so hard to say?

          Baekhyun stands up, and walks to my direction near the window. “You hesitated. You weren’t telling the truth.”

          I avoid his eyes, and Baekhyun chuckles. “I like you so much, I hope you like me too.”

          I swallow. “Get out.”

          “I should, before it gets more dangerous.” Baekhyun heads to the door. “Let’s have dinner together.”

          “Ah, forget it. I’ll just eat in my room.”

          “Okay then. I’ll come here.”

          I massage my temple, and follow him to the door. “You’re really unbelievable.”

          He throws another smile, and bends down to give my lips a peck. I’m ready to go after him with a raised hand, but he’s fast enough to open the door and hop to the empty hallway. I hold the door open, and shoot him the most threatening look I have.

          “Bye-bye.” he walks away, then stops in front of the door of the next room. What is he going to do again?

          He whips out a card key, and presses it to the door. It opens.

          I emptily look at the blinking card panel, then at Baekhyun. “What the—your room is next to me all this time?!”

          “So what? It’s not like you’re going into my room if you know.” Baekhyun says. A side of his mouth goes up, then he opens his door. “Or do you want to go in now?”

          I throw him an irked look, then go inside my room. I hear him shouting “See you tonight!” before closing my door, and I stand still, savoring the quiet air of my room for a few seconds.

          He’s making me crazy.

*

          That night, the bell rings and I think I know who it is. I open the door, and Baekhyun appears with a semi formal fit, with a blazer and all. “You’re… Going somewhere?” I ask.

          “I bet you haven’t visited the sky view restaurant in the twenty fifth floor.”

          “They have something like that—?” I blink. Baekhyun smiles in victory.

          “My father is the F & B manager, remember.” he says. “Shall we?”

          After changing to something more proper, we go to the said restaurant and I try hard to keep my mouth closed. The place is basically a dining place under a gigantic glass dome, with sparkling small chandeliers scattered around the ceiling. “When in the world was this built?”

          “Only a few months ago, proposed by my father. It wouldn’t be done without your aunt’s approval so we should thank her as well.” Baekhyun suavely talks to a waiter, and he brings us to a table with a gorgeous view of the lights from a nearby city.

          “It’s fascinating that it’s not seen from the front.” I look up, observing the dome.

          “Cool, right?” Baekhyun says. “How is it? Did I do a good job bringing you here?”

          He looks at me expectantly, and I scoff. “Yeah.”

          The dinner is spent pleasantly, with more talks of our daily life and preferences. Baekhyun is being a more reserved version of himself, but he still shows his antics sometimes and this time, I let out sincere laughter.

*

          The next day on the evening, Baekhyun and I are waiting for the elevator when the door dings open and it reveals Manager Byun inside. “Oh… Father.” Baekhyun says, and we get in.

          He smiles looking at both of us. “You’ve been always going together around the hotel, I’m glad you two play well.”

          I smile awkwardly next to him. He talks to us as if we’re kids. Oh, if only he knows the things his son has done.

          “Where are you going, Father?”

          “Lana’s aunt calls for a meeting.” Manager Byun says, and we arrive on the lobby. I see Aunt and a few other managers near the front desk, and one female manager carrying a baby stands out the most.

          “Oh, you’re here? Oh, there are Lana and Baekhyun too.” Aunt says. “We’ll head to the meeting room soon, I’ve called an employee who’d take care of Manager Ryu’s baby and she’ll be here soon. The daycare has already closed this time…”

          “We’ll do it!” Baekhyun cheerfully says. My eyes widen, and I turn to him.

          “We?” I whisper without moving my lips. I’m not good with kids at all, and I feel a sense of panic.

          “Really?” Aunt looks surprised. “Is it okay? Then you can stay in the daycare, there’ll be a lot of toys.”

          Baekhyun skillfully takes the baby, and Manager Ryu looks very relieved. “Thank you so much. This is Yoojin, she’s two years old. I’ll be back soon.”

          “Okay! We’ll take care of her well. Please don’t be worried.” Baekhyun says. Yoojin looks comfy on his arms.

          “I’ll get this.” I take care of the diaper bag, and the management sets off for the meeting. An employee brings us to unlock the daycare, and leaves the three of us inside.

          Baekhyun is playing with Yoojin happily, and the baby smiles at everything he does. I silently sit on the floor, watching them run around the space with laughter and giggles. Baekhyun throws himself to the floor, and Yoojin follows suit. I laugh in amusement.

          “You’re really good with kids.”

          “I guess I’m a natural.” Baekhyun stands up, and sits near me. “Yoojin, here~!”

          Yoojin was playing with a doll but she runs to Baekhyun as soon as she’s called with a huge smile. Baekhyun catches her in a hug, and they laugh happily. They’re in their own world.

          Baekhyun even succeeds to put her to sleep, and when Manager Ryu comes an hour later she gasps silently in awe. “She must have played well with you guys.”

          “She’s a very pretty baby.” Baekhyun praises her, and pats Yoojin’s head lovingly for the last time. The mother and daughter leaves, and since it’s late we’re going back to our floor.

          “Remember the beer you wanted to drink?” Baekhyun asks.

          “The bar said it ran out of them—what, do you have it?”

          Baekhyun opens the door to his room. “Maybe you can find out here.”

          I roll my eyes, and go inside. Baekhyun takes two bottles from his fridge, and opens one for me. “Here.”

          “Wow, I’m exhausted.” I massage my neck in front of the TV. “Kids have so much energy.”

          “Hey, you barely did anything!” Baekhyun looks a bit irritated. I laugh, and takes another gulp of the beer.

          “I’m still tired anyway.” I climb to his bed and lean to the fluff headboard. “Let me sit still here for awhile.”

          “Don’t spill beer on my bed.” Baekhyun warns as he takes off his jacket.

          “Alright, alright.” I sigh. “Can you turn on the TV or something?”

          He throws the remote to me instead, and I catch it. A romance film just starts in a channel, and I’m focused. Baekhyun also brings his beer to the bed, and sits next to me. “What, you like this kind of movie?” he asks.

          “Sssh, the half first of this movie is really good.” I swish open the bed cover underneath and drape it over my legs.

          “Oh, look at you getting comfortable.” Baekhyun sneers.

          The movie goes on, and I watch it as if it’s the first time. I make a lot of facial expressions, and Baekhyun sometimes glances to see me and laughs a little, being amused. “You like it that much?”

          “Yeah. Look at how calm and gentlemanly the male lead is, so composed… Unlike someone.” I turn my head to see Baekhyun for a second.

          I’m staring at the screen again, and Baekhyun mumbles something I can’t comprehend. “Huh? What?” I ask.

          “Lana, look at me.”

          I impatiently see him again, and he looks at me in silence. “What?” I ask him again. I see Baekhyun’s arm reaching to me, and I thought he was going to take something from my hair.

          He softly takes the back of my head, and leans forward to kiss me.