25 (Four)

Brash And Curious

          Back in the suite, Mom has returned and is sitting with Dad in the living room. “Oh, Lana! I met Baekhyun again! Seems like he didn’t go?”

          The image of him pinning me to the floor is still vivid in my mind, and I think I can still feel Baekhyun’s hands locking my arms. “Yeah. Mom, do we have plans for today?” I ask.

          “Since tomorrow’s the wedding, how about some beauty treatment?” Mom says.

          “Sounds good.” I quickly answer. Maybe some massage will calm my heart.

          Turns out the peaceful time doesn’t last long for me since more wedding guests have come and the wives are busy catching up. I ran away from the hair salon, leaving Mom with her friends. If I don’t go now I might be stuck until the night. At least I’ve finished the treatment package.

          I return to the suite, and it’s empty. Dad must have gone to meet his friends as well.

          I reach my bag to take something out, and my hand touches a key card. It’s the one Baekhyun gave earlier today, and I see number 1506 printed on it.

          I stare at the key card. Looking at my situation now, I think I have an idea.

*

          I stand in front of Baekhyun’s room with my arms crossed. Should I ring the bell, or should I just barge in? Well, he gave me the key card, he must have known the consequences. I press the key card to the lock, and open the door.

          Baekhyun is standing in front of the TV with one hand on his waist, wearing a sleeveless black shirt. His arms are definitely bigger and more toned than five years ago. I look away, and clear my throat as I walk inside the room.

          “Well… I’m being optimistic that you’d come eventually, but this is pretty fast.” Baekhyun raises his eyebrows.

          “I have something I want to do.” I cut to the topic.

          Baekhyun looks like he notices something, then he steps closer to me. He bends down near my neck, and sniffs. “Vanilla?”

          His face is extremely close to mine, and I clench my jaw. “I just went to the spa.”

          He backs down. “Okay, continue.”

          “Come to the wedding with me tomorrow.”

          I see wrinkles forming on his forehead. “Why?”

          “It’d be full of older people I don’t know. I hate to be there but I’ve come all the way here to attend it. So I guess I’ll just find someone to be there with.”

          Baekhyun pulls the sides of his mouth. “Weddings are not my style, though.”

          My lips part a bit. This is not what I expected. “But—you kept asking me about what to do! Now I found one and you can’t?” I stomp my foot out of annoyance.

          “What’s with the cute act?” Baekhyun laughs.

          “I’m not acting cute!”

          “I’ll think about it…” Baekhyun drags his word.

          “In the past, we both agreed to each other’s bizarre requests too, why not now?”

          “Whoa, you’re talking about the past now?” Baekhyun says. “Then why have you been so resistant since yesterday?”

          “We just met again. It’s awkward.” I mutter.

          Baekhyun laughs, then takes a deep breath. “Alright, I’ll go with you.”

          “Really?” I light up.

          “But, the next day would be my turn.”

          “What are we going to do?”

          Baekhyun smiles. “Secret.”

          “Ah!”

          He’s clearly enjoying my reactions, and starts laughing. “You’d like it, don’t worry.” he walks towards me, and smells me again. “Maybe you want to stay the night, so I can breathe this scent as much as I want?”

          I kick his shin, and Baekhyun yelps. He kneels down to the floor, but then begins chuckling slowly. “You’re cute.”

          “Shut up. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

*

          The next day, on the evening, my parents and I go to the sky view wedding hall and when the elevator opens Baekhyun is already on standby in front of it. He’s wearing dark grey two-button suit, and his hair is combed neatly. I’ve never seen him so formally dressed… and handsome. He greets the three of us, and looks at me with an approving smile.

          He lets Mom and Dad go first in front of us, and he offers his arm to me. I push it away, and he laughs slowly. He turns to me and leans down a bit to whisper to my ears. “You look beautiful.”

          My lips curl. Baekhyun places a hand on my back lightly, and we start walking.

          The path from the semi-outdoor hallway in front to the elevator until the glass dome is decorated with clean white silk and tulle over our heads, and of course all kinds of colorful flowers. The prewedding photos are displayed along the path, and I guess they’re so pretty that people are surrounding each of them to get a closer look. Big prints of the photos are attached to a canvas supported with wooden easels, of course beautified by flowers around it.

          I take a look at one of the photos nearby, and realize something. “Ah, so this is Uncle Kang’s son… I’ve met this oppa before in a few occasions before. The bride is pretty…” I say. Baekhyun is looking at the photo silently next to me.

          “Lana!” someone calls my name, and Daeun waves to me energetically while holding a walkie talkie on her hand.

          “Hi! It must be difficult working in those heels… You’ve worked hard.”

          “I’m used to it.” Daeun coolly brushes it off. She glances at Baekhyun, then looks at him again for a few seconds. She looks like she’s thinking.

          “Hey, we haven’t got to eat together. When are you free?” I ask.

          “Oh—maybe later! Gotta check this wedding out of the to-do list first.” Daeun says.

          “Daeun-ssi!” someone calls her name from behind, and she looks surprised. “Lana, I should go! See you later!”

          I nod. “Let’s go—” I turn to my side after Daeun left, but it’s empty. “Baekhyun?”

          I look around, but he’s not there. He’s gone. I quickly scan my surroundings, but I can’t find him.

          “Lana!” Dad calls from near the entrance, and I sign at him to go in first. I walk as speedy as I can with these shoes to the elevator, but he’s nowhere to be seen.

          I end up going to the glass dome first, and sit with my parents. “Where’s Baekhyun?” Mom asks.

          I shake my head slowly, a bit confused. “Toilet, maybe.”

          The wedding proceeds, but Baekhyun isn’t coming. This is way too long for a bathroom break. I uneasily peek to the entrance, but no one is going inside anymore.

          The ceremony ends, and dinner followed by pleasantries time are nearing. This is the most crucial time—I asked him to be here for this reason.

          The guests are moving to the dining room, and I meet Daeun again near the door. “Um, Lana, the man who came with you earlier… Where is he?” she asks carefully.

          I bite my lower lip. “Uh… I think he left already. Why?”

          Daeun looks hesitant, but then shakes her head. “No, I might have seen it wrong.”

          “Is he someone you know?” I ask. She might have not known he’s GM Byun’s son.

          “Not really, but I kind of know him. How should I say it?” Daeun tilts her head. “But I really doubt that it’s him. He wouldn’t have gone here… On this day…”

          I furrow my brows. “Why?”

          “Well… People don’t usually invite ex-boyfriends to their wedding, right?”