20 (Two)

Brash And Curious

          I feel like I'm going to break my fingers from forming tightest fists I could when Baekhyun grips both of my shoulders—but then nothing happens. I open my eyes slowly, and see his red stained shirt. Am I—am I smelling strawberry right now?

          I hear Baekhyun's suppressed laugh growing louder, and he takes a step back as he wipes his mouth. "Fake blood from this year's Halloween party, someone left a whole bottle of it. What do you think?"

          Anger boils inside of me, and I storm off towards him with one hand raised above my head. Baekhyun easily catches it, and pouts in disapproval.

          "No violence."

          "Ugh, you!"

          He responds to my yelling by the remains of the fake blood on his lips, and smiles in glee. "Oh, Hong Lana… Always so easy to play with."

          "Let go." I say under my breath.

          "You wanted to touch me, now you want the opposite?"

          I pull my arm down with all my might, and succeed. Without looking back I walk away and look for the exit. His grip leaves red marks on my sleeve, and it's sticky. "Darn it." I murmur to myself.

          "Where are you going?" Baekhyun is heard hopping behind me, and his voice sounds so annoying the more I listen to it.

          "Leave me alone."

          "If you're going to your room, do you even have the key?"

          I almost stop on my tracks. The key card—I definitely saw Aunt putting it on the table, but I don't think I put it inside my purse. We're outside the Lost & Found room, and I turn around. "Did you—?"

          Baekhyun has a tiny smile on his face, a streak of fading red is seen near his chin. "This is why you should be more careful with your stuff."

          I close my eyes for a second, then continue walking. I'll just go to the front desk again. I can still hear Baekhyun behind me, and I heave a deep breath. I don't think I've ever had such a chaotic hour since my last exams period.

          I walk past the elevator, and Baekhyun pulls my arm from behind. "No need to go to the front desk, I'll give you your key." he says as he pushes the button. "Are you ready for questions about the marks on your clothes?"

          "Give it to me now." I hiss as I raise a demanding palm.

          Baekhyun hands me the card when the door dings open. A bellboy looks shaken as soon as he sees us. "Are you okay... Sir, Ma'am?"

          "We're good." Baekhyun answers cheerfully. The bellboy leaves, and we get into the elevator. "I saw the room number, we're on the same floor."

          I cross my arms. "Huh."

          "Good thing you really didn't ask for another card. Did you consider the risk of leaving an access to your room with me?"

          My eyes widen, and I feel like an idiot for belatedly realizing it. "You really want my hands around your neck, don't you?"

          Thankfully no one is getting on, and we arrive on the sixteenth floor. I scan the signs quickly, and take a right turn without saying a word.

          "Good night, Lana." Baekhyun says sweetly. I shudder, and keep walking. "See you tomorrow." he adds, and I quicken my steps.

*

          I go downstairs early for breakfast at 7 so I can see Aunt before she gets busier for the day, and she thankfully looks quite relaxed this morning. “I’m sorry I left you last night. You were with Manager Byun’s son, right?”

          “Aunt, he—!” I start getting riled up, and Aunt looks at me strangely.

          “Ah, I also remember him. A few years ago, you two were staying here together and fought a lot, right?” she shakes her head. “You guys were my worst taste of teenage puberty.”

          “And he’s still as irritating, can you believe that?” I shred a piece of toast I’m holding.

          “Aigoo. You met him once for dinner and you’re already livid?”

          My shoulders droop. I don’t want to tell her about the Lost & Found room.

          “He looks more handsome after growing up, though. I remember him having a bowl cut hair.”

          “Yeah. He looked terrible.”

          “How about now?” Aunt raises her eyebrows. I throw her a look, and she chuckles.

          “GM Hong!” someone calls from behind, and I turn my head to see. Baekhyun happily walks to our table, and I look back to my plate. He’s wearing mint colored sweater and khaki pants, quite a change from his look yesterday.

          “Good morning!” he brightly says, and Aunt nods with a smile.

          “You’re here early. You’re going somewhere?” she asks.

          “Not really. The weather’s not good today, I’ll just stay inside and play with Lana.”

          I turn to him, deep wrinkles form on my forehead. “Who decided that?”

          “Aigoo, you aren’t going anywhere today, right? Go play with him, don’t fight. You guys are adults.” Aunt says.

          Baekhyun smiles, and sits next to Aunt. I stab my grape with a fork and try to hide my scoff.

          Breakfast is over, and Aunt leaves to attend morning briefing. “Where are you going?” Baekhyun swiftly walks beside me outside the restaurant.

          “I saw that there’s a new café. I want to try the coffee.” I point to the corner nearby, where a wooden-themed borderless space is placed near the door leading to the garden.

          “It’s open at 8, though.”

          I look at my watch. “Oh.”

          “It’s only in fifteen minutes. I’ve been friends with the barista, she’ll let me in.”

          He approaches the counter, and a female barista looks very delighted to see him. “Oh! You came!”

          “Morning, Noona! Can we stay here until opening time?” he asks cutely, and she looks smitten. She glances at me, and she looks a bit curious. “Oh, this is Lana, the GM’s niece.”

          The barista is a bit startled, then leads us to a table with a nice view. “Should I get you anything?”

          “No, we’ll just talk until this opens. Please get ready comfortably.” Baekhyun says, flashing his most charming smile. I try not to make any weird face, and look outside. “You’re really good with people.” I comment slowly.

          “Try to use your connections. I can do this much, imagine what you can do with the general manager as an aunt.”

          “Being able to vacation here is good enough.” I get up to look around, and I spot a cupboard with glass windows, displaying all kinds of board games. “Wow.”

          “You wanna play?” Baekhyun energetically asks.

          “Sssh, I’m still looking at each of them.” I open the door, and sigh. “Nothing I can play by myself?”

          Baekhyun snatches the Jenga box, and I click my tongue. We go back to the table, and he already arranges the tower.

          “One question per piece. Loser’s buying coffee. You start.”

          “Can’t we just play regularly? I have none.”

          “Then I’ll begin.” Baekhyun isn’t fazed, and takes out a piece in the middle. “Where do you go to study?”

          “Seoul.” I answer shortly. Baekhyun points with his chin, and I lazily take out a piece. “You?”

          “I failed my entrance exams. I’ll try again next year.” he says. He takes out another piece. “Where are your parents?”

          “Currently abroad. They’ll be back in New Year.” I grit my teeth when my next move makes the tower shake a little. “When are you leaving this hotel?”

          “I’ll ask Father to match my schedule to yours.”

          I shoot lasers from my eyes, and Baekhyun acts innocent. He expertly pushes a middle piece without making the tower jiggle at all.

          “Where’s the pink beret now?”

          I sneer. “I don’t know. It’s been ages.”

          “Looking at how persistent you were protecting it, I thought you were going to wear it forever.” he mutters.

          “Do you even have anything to talk about other than my pink beret?”

          “If that’s the question, take out a piece properly first.”

          I huff, and touch a piece near the base to pull. It’s apparently a difficult one, and I gulp.

          I can feel Baekhyun’s eyes on me, and I get slightly uncomfortable. I wish he wasn’t staring at me, I have a tendency to flare my nostrils when I’m concentrating.

          “I’ll just answer that. Can we talk about how pretty you’ve become?”

          I flinch, and the Jenga tower collapses along with the piece I’m holding.