25 (Two)

Brash And Curious

          Baekhyun is looking straight at me from inside the elevator, his expression is unreadable.

          He still looks basically the same, but now with shorter, dark brown hair. He kind of looks more mature, but his eyes still give off the boyish impression.

          I think hard. What should I do? I divert my sight to the floor, avoiding his eyes. Should I just leave? But I’ve had one foot stepping to the front already. Am I going to pretend I don’t know him?

          I end up getting inside the elevator, but Baekhyun isn’t getting off. I close my eyes for a second, and presses my key card. Where is he heading to? Isn’t he going to push a button or something?

          The door closes, and I’m trapped inside. Now what?

          “Hong Lana?” Baekhyun says, his voice is deeper than the I remember. “Hong Lana, isn’t it?”

          I press my lips. “I guess I’ve changed so much that you needed to ask.”

          “No, I know exactly it’s you. I just need to make sure you’re real.”

          I blink, and soundlessly exhale. I turn my head to see him, and he has his eyes on me. Baekhyun is wearing dark green trucker jacket with navy shirt beneath, paired with fitted jeans.

          “It’s been a long time.” Baekhyun says, lips barely moving.

          “Yeah.” I say, and I look again to the front.

          “Have you been well?”

          “I’m good.”

          I look at the monitor. Still a long time until the thirtieth floor.

          “Are you in a hurry?” he asks.

          “…no.” I hesitantly answer.

          “Do you want to grab a drink?”

          I think for a bit, then nod. Baekhyun pushes the button to tenth floor. The outdoor swimming pool?

          We head to a poolside table under an umbrella, and while walking there Baekhyun bends down to feel the water. “Oh, it’s warm.”

          I silently look at him, remembering how I pushed him into the water that time. I wonder if the indoor swimming pool is still there.

          We sit across from each other, and Baekhyun looks like he’s scanning me. “You changed, but also kind of didn’t change. What is this?” he says to himself.

          “What are you saying, really…”

          He slowly laughs, and the waiter brings us our beverages. “Your aunt moved to Sydney, huh… She’s incredible, always exceeding expectations.”

          “Nobody knows her limit.” I raise my eyebrows. “Your father became the general manager. Congrats, I guess.”

          Baekhyun glances at me, then looks at the pool. “I didn’t get to apologize that time.”

          I furrow my brows. “For what?”

          “You know, my father.”

          “Why would you apologize?” I shake my head. “You did nothing wrong.”

          “Then… I’m sorry for not contacting you again.”

          I cross my arms, then look away. “You did the right thing—we did the right thing. What good would it bring, in that condition?” I mutter.

          I peek at him, and Baekhyun is looking at his glass.

          “Your father got what he wanted, and my aunt is now flourishing somewhere else. I think we shouldn’t dwell on the past.” I straighten my back, and sip my drink. “Sorry to say, I still have remains of grudge when I see your father, but it’s not like there’s anything I can do. Everyone is living well, we should just move on.”

          A side of Baekhyun’s mouth goes up, and he looks at me. “Have you always been this wise?” he asks. I silently laugh, and look at a swaying small tree near the pool because of the wind. Just some time ago after visiting Daeun’s office I was worrying, but I guess fate worked its way.

          “Are you coming here alone? How long are you staying?” Baekhyun asks.

          “I’m with my parents. For a few days, probably. We have a wedding to attend.”

          “Oh.” Baekhyun nods. “What do you plan to do?”

          “Do we ever have plans while staying here?” I scoff slowly. “How about you?”

          “Actually, I’m in a runaway mode.”

          I look at him questionably. What does he mean? Is he skipping classes or something?

          “Well then. Maybe we’ll meet again.” Baekhyun gets up from his seat. “See you later.”

          He leaves first, and I lean back to my chair. I feel like I just cleared an unfinished business, and I’m relieved that it didn’t take long.

          It’s done, right? I guess now I don’t really need to feel anything when I see Baekhyun again.

*

          In the afternoon, Mom asks me to accompany her for tea with the other wedding guests who have come, and it’s all ladies her age, wives of Dad’s friends. I’m the only young person there and I’ll just try to be patient.

          “You’ve grown so much since the last time I saw you, Lana!” one exclaims, and I don’t even remember who she is. “You’ve become so pretty!”

          The other ladies chirp in, and I politely smile.

          “You’re lucky to still have a kid going with you, mine had all moved out.” one of them complains.

          “Sooner or later I’ll be left too, that’s why I dragged her here.” Mom says, patting my thigh. “Do you guys know any nice man to introduce to my daughter?”

          “Ah, Mom.” I groan, and the ladies laugh.

          “I heard there will be a flower arrangement class in the green house. Should we go?” an enthusiastic auntie points outside. Good, a different topic.

          “Of course, the flowers are blooming so prettily right now!” the ladies leave the tea house happily, and I follow them from behind in silence.

          I glance at the narrow pathway next to the green house. It was where I overheard Manager Byun trash-talking that time. Ugh, the more I wander around, the more flashbacks come to my mind. Calm down, Lana, you yourself said you should move on.

          We enter the green house, and it’s full of various kinds of spring flowers. Shades of pink and red dominate the area, and on the center of the space are wooden tables for the flower arrangement class. The instructor starts welcoming us, and says one table can be used for two people.

          I take an empty table on the very back for myself since everyone is paired already, and the instructor starts explaining about the first steps. We can choose one from a wreath, bucket, corolla or glass bubble to arrange our flowers, and we’re free to take any flowers we want.

          I choose the glass bubble, and the instructor is showcasing how to safely cut the flowers when she notices something on the back of the class. “Oh, good sir, do you want to join us?”

          I turn my head to see, and Baekhyun is coming with light steps from the entrance, flashing his smile to everyone. “Hello. Yes, if there are still empty spots.”

          “Yes! Please pick a table. Omo, you’re the only male student here.”

          There are still a few empty tables nearby, but he heads straight to me. He throws a smile, and I look back to the table. “You should get your own flowers.” I say.

          “Oh.” he says, and leaves to bring his choices. The instructor comes to our table for the material, and Baekhyun chooses a small frame to make a wreath.

          I’m cutting my flowers so I could fit them inside the glass bubble, and Baekhyun is being quite noisy next to me with his properties. “Reminds you of old times, doesn’t it?” he asks.

          “Sssh, I’m concentrating.” I say, putting my first piece inside with a tweezer. Baekhyun laughs slowly.

          “I forget how easily irritable you are.”

          I ignore him, and continue focusing. Fortunately later he’s also fixing his attention to his flowers, and I can peacefully finish my work.

          The instructor visits each table for guidance, and since we’re the farthest, she only came when we’re almost done. She looks at Baekhyun's first, and lets out an impressed exclaim.

          “You did such a great job! I think you can open a business with this.” the instructor praises Baekhyun. I look at his side of the table, and he made a small wreath with a lot of explosively colorful flowers like azalea, poppies, golden bell, and a few tiger lilies. That looks beautiful, I should admit.

          “Thank you. By the way Teacher, what are we going to do with this?” Baekhyun asks loudly, and all eyes are fixed on him.

          “Oh, you can bring it home, or give it to someone as a present. Do you perhaps have someone special to give it to?”

          “Actually, there’s someone here who looks like flowers and I want to give it to her.”

          The green house is raving with excited sounds from the others, mainly from the aunties. Baekhyun carefully picks up the wreath, and leaves my side to head somewhere. Where is he going to?

          He actually only walks away to stand in front of our table, facing me. I look at him, and he has a small smile on his face. That face… I saw that face a lot a long time ago.

          Baekhyun offers me the small flower wreath with both of his hands, and the green house is filled with squeals from the other participants.