20 (Three)

Brash And Curious

          “I’ll just answer that. Can we talk about how pretty you’ve become?”

          I flinch, and the Jenga tower collapses along with the piece I’m holding.

          "Nice, free coffee." Baekhyun chirps as he scoops a fallen piece from the floor. "You really got prettier, though. You became a woman."

          I'm still a bit flustered, and I attempt to control my face. "Thanks, I guess." Baekhyun tilts his head a bit, looking like he’s anticipating something. “Do you want me to comment on you too?”

          He makes a flower pose with his hands. “How do I look now?”

          “I’m just glad you got rid of your bowl cut.”

          His smile fades, and I form a smile.

          "I want iced americano." he says flatly.

          I walk to the counter to order, and when I get back Baekhyun already packed the Jenga neatly. "You really aren't going to do anything today?" I ask.

          He shrugs. "There's a lot to explore, though. We—you, especially, got all access to the facilities and events."

          "Anything interesting in today's schedule?" I say as I check my phone.

          Baekhyun looks at me, then smirks. "Ooh, are you up to no good?"

          "I'm not you." I snap. "I'm really looking for something to do."

          "Give me your number, I'll send the whole schedule for the month." Baekhyun requests with a hand.

          I keep holding my phone as I text someone. "I'll just ask Aunt."

          Baekhyun pulls back his hand. "Phew, there goes my chance."

          Aunt got the marketing team to contact me about this month’s events, and the highlight today is a ballroom dance class. I pick up my drink, and sigh. “Nothing caught my eye.”

          "You know there’s a ballroom dance class, right?"

          "Don't be ridiculous." I put my cup to the table with some strength.

          "Let's decide fair and square. Rock-paper-scissors."

          "Why should I do that? I won't."

          "Be honest, you have nothing to do anyway, right? This hotel is in the middle of a forest, it takes two hours to get to the city and it's difficult because of the hailstorm and snow. We're trapped here." Baekhyun tells me all that in one breath.

          "Aigoo, you speak a lot."

          "So are you down or not?"

          "I have no reason to do it with you." I cross my arms. "Should I ask Aunt to send a handsome employee..."

          Baekhyun's eyes squint. "Wow, you hate me that much?"

          "You haven't apologized for what happened yesterday!" I straighten my back.

          "I'm sorry. It was fun, though. And my acting was really good, right?"

          I lean back to my chair, and Baekhyun laughs. "Alright, alright. Sorry. I mean it. You must be so scared."

          "You knew it, yet you went through." I mumble to myself.

          "I was bored. I'm so glad someone came. A pretty one at that."

          I stomp a foot to the floor. "Don't."

          Baekhyun smiles, and adjusts his sitting position. "Let's do it." he puts one hand behind his head.

          "What happens if I win?" I demand.

          "Do anything you want. Just involve me in that activity."

          I scoff. "You're still tagging along in the end. Rock-paper-scissors."

          Baekhyun wins. I exhale a long exasperating breath while Baekhyun cheers.

          We go to the ballroom, and the instructors, a male and female, are already there. I look around, and the participants are mainly middle-aged couples. There are less than ten pairs of people. “Hello! We’re going to learn simple ballroom dance for today. Before we start, should we do some light warm-up?”

          “Like this, Teacher?” Baekhyun shouts, and he starts doing a random octopus dance. The whole class laugh, and I close my eyes with my hand.

          “That’s the spirit. Let’s loosen up our bodies, no need to go that hard though.”

          The atmosphere gets cozy, and I see Baekhyun taking off his sweater, revealing grey fitted shirt he wears underneath. “It feels a bit hot.”

          The instructors start teaching us the starting pose, and it has the man putting his hand on the woman’s back, with the other holding their partner’s hand. I glance at our united hands, and think that he got quite pretty fingers for a man. They’re warm, and soft as well. I adjust myself to get into position, and Baekhyun looks like he’s observing me.

          “Are you uncomfortable?” Baekhyun asks.

          “Why should I?”

          “Being in such a close proximity like this.”

          “If it’s for learning, this distance with men is nothing.” I say. “I’ve had my PT, muay thai instructor, cheerleading teammates in high school—there were a lot.”

          I’m currently looking at his neck, then I look up to meet his eyes. He unexpectedly looks tense, and I stare at him more intently on purpose. “Are you uncomfortable?”

          “No.” he speedily answers.

          I tiptoe a bit, and lean close to his ears. “Or are you flustered?”

          I feel his hand on my back getting stiff, and I land back on my feet. I feel smug for thinking I got it right, but then his hand goes down to my waist and he pushes me closer towards him, making our bodies stick together.

          “Hey.” I warn him.

          He silently laughs. I feel tricked.

          “You’re quite bold.” Baekhyun says in a low voice. I look away, and the instructor starts playing the music.

          “We’re going to do the box steps. Please look to the front, then practice with your partner.”

          Baekhyun and I are fast learners and generally doing well, but we have our small mishaps. I accidentally step on him, and Baekhyun yelps.

          “Sorry.” I mutter.

          The practice is over, and I swiftly remove myself away from him.

          “Teacher, is there any ending pose?” Baekhyun raises his hand. I look at the floor, and shake my head. What is he up to again?

          “What kind of ending pose?” the instructor wonders.

          “Like this, maybe?”

          Baekhyun gets on one knee, takes one of my hand and kisses it. The whole ballroom cheers, and I pull my hand away. I can feel my face getting red, and Baekhyun stands up with a delighted smile on his face.

          The class ended, and we exit the ballroom. “Where should we go next?” Baekhyun asks when we walk past a conference room, and it’s being set to be a medium-sized party area. We go inside, and look around the pink-themed decorations. A supervisor I know is giving instructions, and he spots us. “Oh, Miss Lana!”

          “Hello. What occasion is this?”

          “There will be a birthday party later. How’s your stay, Miss? Should I suggest you some activities?”

          “Oh, I have the schedule. I just finished the ballroom dance class, in fact.”

          The supervisor looks puzzled a bit, then he sees Baekhyun who’s playing with the balloons behind me. “Ah… With him? Isn’t he Manager Byun’s son?”

          I raise my eyebrows. “…he is.” this news will reach Aunt in a few seconds. I’ll just let it be.

          “I’m going to do something, please look around as much as you want.” the supervisor leaves, and we’re left with the decorators.

          “Let’s just go out, they look busy.” I point to the people. Baekhyun is struggling to untie a balloon, and I watch him impatiently. He succeeds, and inhales the helium right away.

          “Hong, Hong Lana.”

          It’s just my name, but the funny altered voice makes me burst into laughter. Looking at my reaction, he inhales some more. This time he’s just giggling weirdly, and I laugh again. “Stop it, what are you doing?”

          He keeps chuckling until the helium runs out, and looks satisfied when he’s done. “Ah, this is what I’ve been waiting.”

          “What? Doing dumb things?”

          “No, seeing you laugh.”