25 (Three)

Brash And Curious

          I’m holding the flower wreath on my hands as Mom and I walk back into the hotel, and she’s been extremely overjoyed since she witnessed what happened between me and Baekhyun earlier.

          “—he’s good looking too, oh my how can someone be that sweet?”

          “He was just playing around.” I push the elevator button with extra strength. “He’s always been like that.”

          “Wait, is he someone you know?”

          “He’s GM Byun’s son.” I answer indifferently. “We’ve met before.”

          “Oh!” Mom claps once. “Then we should invite him for a meal!”

          “Wait, what? Why?” I turn to her, flabbergasted.

          “You know each other, right? How long has it been since the last time you met? Do you have his number? Call him now!”

          “There’s no need to, gosh.” I shake my head. “He’s not—”

          The elevator door is just about to close when someone pushed the button again, and Baekhyun appears. His eyes start sparkling seeing us, and he bows to Mom before getting in and stands next to her. He takes a glance at the flower wreath on my hands, and a smile forms on his face.

          “Oh, this is the young man from before!” Mom’s voice goes higher, and I sigh. “I heard from Lana that you’re the general manager’s son, correct?”

          “Ah, yes.” Baekhyun nods politely. He puts the key card to the scanner, and the fifteenth floor lights up.

          “And you two have apparently met before?”

          “Yes, that’s right.”

          “Mom, don’t bother him too much.” I fidget uneasily.

          “I won’t, I won’t. How about this, can you join us for dinner? That way we could talk comfortably.” Mom offers. “If GM Byun can join us, it’d be wonderful too!”

          I stretch my neck on the other side of the elevator.

          “Oh—actually, I’m leaving tonight. But a dinner before that would be nice.” Baekhyun says, and Mom rejoices. “How about the new garden-themed restaurant at the fifth floor?”

          “That would be lovely.” Mom says. “We’d be there at 7!”

          We arrive at Baekhyun’s floor, and he sweetly says goodbye to Mom. “See you tonight, Lana.” he says to me, followed with a smirk.

          My shoulders droop. I thought I wouldn’t be seeing him this much anymore.

*

          Later that night, when we arrive to the place Baekhyun is already waiting at the entrance, looking neat in casual grey blazer, white shirt and jeans. “Hello. My father relays his apologies, he’s in the middle of something but he’ll try to join us.”

          I look away, wishing he wouldn’t make it. I might not be able to control my expressions well.

          “That’s okay! He must be busy.” Mom says, looking giddy. “Honey, this is GM Byun’s son that I told you about.”

          “Oh, nice to meet you.” Dad says, and Baekhyun leads us to our table after introducing himself.

          “My father made sure we could sit on the best seats here.” Baekhyun says, and he sits next to me.

          “We’re thankful for that.” Mom says, then turns to Dad. “Baekhyun here have met Lana before, during their vacations here.”

          “Ah, Lana’s friend?” Dad says. I’m unfolding my napkin, and my elbow brushes against Baekhyun’s.

          Friend… Well. I’m getting war flashbacks, and swallow. Baekhyun nods beside me, and smiles.

          “You can say so. But we haven’t stayed in touch for like, five years.”

          “Oh, that’s a long time. No wonder you two look a bit stiff.” Mom comments. “And you’re leaving tonight? That’s so soon, it would be nice if you two can catch up more.”

          “I’d like to, but I have something to do.” Baekhyun says regretfully. “I have something to do at school, but I might return if I have time.”

          “Where do you study, Baekhyun?” Dad asks.

          “It’s nearby, in Daejeon.”

          “Perhaps, the prestigious science university?”

          “Yes. But I entered a year late, though. I failed my first exam that time.” Baekhyun laughs. “And after my second year I decided to enlist, so I’m still finishing school right now.”

          “You’ve even finished your service. That’s worthy of praise.” Dad nods, and Baekhyun shyly smiles. “Since your school is close, you visit your father a lot. That’s a good thing to do.”

          “Oh, he’s always busy though. I only come here to find something to eat.” Baekhyun says, and Mom and Dad laughs.

          I’m just silently eating during the exchange, but processing the information at the same time. From afar I see GM Byun walking quickly to our table’s direction, and I slowly click my tongue.

          “Mr. Hong! How’s the dinner?” GM Byun gasps for air. “I’m really sorry, I have an urgent matter to take care of. I was going downstairs and I want to drop by.”

          “Aigoo, please continue. We have Baekhyun here, he’s a decent young man.” Dad chuckles, and GM Byun smiles proudly.

          “I’m relieved you find my son amiable. He’s studying near here, and crashes this place often.” GM Byun laughs.

          “If we lived nearby and Lana’s aunt were still the general manager, she would do the same.” Mom says. “She likes her aunt so much.”

          “Oh, what to do? Now she’s so far away.” GM Byun says, and to me it sounds irritating, as if he’s saying something else. I spy Baekhyun taking a swift look at me, then I lift my head to look at to GM Byun.

          “It’s okay, as long as she’s happy.” I say with a smile. “I bet it’s so much better in Sydney.”

          GM Byun keeps his curved lips in place, then nods once. “I should leave. Please excuse me, and enjoy yourselves.”

          He leaves, and I’m back to my food. My parents continue talking to Baekhyun, and I form a slightly satisfied smile.

          The dinner ends, and we say goodbye at the entrance. “You really have to leave tonight?” Mom asks, and Baekhyun nods.

          “Unfortunately, yes. I hope we could see each other again really soon.” he says. “It’s been nice meeting you, Lana.”

          He bows to us, and bids farewell. I feel like I can breathe after he left. It’s somehow a long day, after meeting him again.

*

          The next morning, I’m attending a yoga class with Mom and her friends, and while the ladies decide to leave earlier for brunch I stay behind for one more session of meditation.

          “You can open your eyes now.” the instructor softly says, and my vision is still blurry for a few seconds. When my sight has focused, from the reflection in the window I realize there’s someone sitting on the waiting chair, looking at me. Baekhyun is leisurely crossing his legs, looking like he’s been there for a long time.

          I turn around from my seat, making sure I’m not seeing it wrong. Baekhyun gives me a smile, then gets up to come to me. The other guests are leaving, and the yoga instructor is packing her things.

          “I met your mother outside. She said you’d be here.”

          I get up, and pat my clothes. “Didn’t you say you were leaving?”

          “After rethinking, it wasn’t that urgent. I’d rather be with you here.”

          I give him a look. “I won’t stay long.”

          “When are you going back?”

          “Tomorrow’s the wedding, so if I’m lucky I’ll go home the next day. It depends on my parents though.”

          “We have a few days to have fun, then.” Baekhyun says slowly as he walks closer to me,

          I exhale loudly. “Stay away. I’ve leveled up on my taekwondo recently.”

          He raises both of his hands, and backs down.

          “Miss, I’ll get going first!” the yoga instructor picks up her bag and heads to the exit. I thank her once more, then she disappears behind the door, leaving me and Baekhyun in the room.

          “What are you going to do today?”

          “Classic question.” I sit down on the mat to wear my shoes. “Maybe doing something with Mom. She likes to explore the activities.”

          Baekhyun picks up a yoga block and lifts it over his head. “You do taekwondo? Can you kick this?”

          I roll my eyes, and stand up. “A bit lower, and my foot might reach your neck.”

          He raises his eyebrows, and puts down the block.

          “I prefer one-on-one anyway. I’m bored with kicks.”

          “Oh. I wish I could do taekwondo.” Baekhyun stretches, revealing a glimpse of his bare stomach while he pulls his hands up in the air.

          “Go try it sometime.” I mutter, then bend down to take my bag. Before I could reach it, suddenly Baekhyun pins me to the matted floor, blocking my arms and legs from moving in a matter of seconds. Our faces are now inches apart, and I’m looking at him in shock.

          “What the—” my blood starts boiling.

          “I don’t know much about taekwondo, but I’m a black belt in hapkido. For your information.” Baekhyun says on top of me. I’ve calculated a counter attack, but he’s overpowering me completely.

          “Move.” I grit my teeth. I try to break free again, but he effortlessly keeps me in place while being so calm. He looks like he’s enjoying this, and my heart starts to beat faster. Not a great time for that.

          He finally loosens up, and I throw him away with much difficulty. I get up in an instant and control my breathing. Baekhyun is heard snickering, and I feel the need to punch him.

          “See, it’s always so fun to play with you.” he says.

          “Shut up.” I say, and my voice is hoarse.

          He takes something from his pocket, and shows it to me. It’s a… Key card?

          “You can come here if you’re bored.” Baekhyun says, and he slips the card into my bag. I squint my eyes in disbelief.

          “Crazy.” I whisper.

          “You might need it.” Baekhyun shrugs. “See you later.”

          He leaves the room in light steps, and I put one hand on my forehead.