20 (Eight)

Brash And Curious

          “Listen, Manager Byun’s mother just passed away. Let’s go to the funeral with me.”

          “Huh?”

          “He and his son have left a few hours ago when she was declared critical. I’ll wait for you in the lobby.” Aunt says, and hangs up.

          I put my phone down, and look at the door in front of me. I breathe out, and turn to leave.

*

          The funeral home is packed when we arrive, and I grow more nervous as we get closer to the main room to pay respects.

          I see Baekhyun among the family mourners, and after bowing to the deceased I follow Aunt to bow to the relatives. I don’t really want to see him, but I steal a glance anyway and see how rugged he is. He looks like he just cried, and his hair is a bit shriveled. He never mentioned his grandmother, but seeing him like this, he must be pretty close to her.

          Next to him is Manager Byun, the chief mourner, and two other people—I think it’s Baekhyun’s mother and older brother.

          “I’m sorry for your loss.” Aunt says.

          “Thank you for coming. You too, Lana.” Manager Byun says.

          I nod as I look at the floor. Aunt pats Baekhyun’s shoulder in sympathy, and we go outside.

          The dining room is still crowded and Aunt stops by to talk to some acquaintances, so I’m standing in the hallway silently. I see Baekhyun going out from the main room, and our eyes meet. He continues to walk to the bathroom’s direction, and I bite my lower lip.

          I decide to follow him, and I stand near the bathroom clumsily. He must still be inside. Baekhyun finally appears, and I shudder. He looks at me emptily, and fixes his cuff without a word.

          “Are you okay?” I ask.

          “No.” he replies curtly.

          I look at my shoes, and inaudibly sigh.

          “You’re coming all the way here… Thanks.” he says soullessly.

          “No problem.” I murmur. If only our relationship is not in an awkward state, I would have given him a hug or something.

          “Eat before you go.” he says. He clears his throat, and leaves. I look at his back that’s getting further, and close my eyes for a second.

          I go back to the dining room, and Aunt is nowhere to be seen. Just when I get closer to the door, she’s coming out from the room looking a bit in a rush. “Lana, take a seat first. I’m going to the bathroom for a bit.”

          “Oh… Okay.” I say, and I enter the room. There are still a lot of people, but I see empty spots nearby. I settle down on the edge of a long table, next to me are older men who are dunking their shot glasses while talking.

          “…the woman with the bob cut earlier, she’s the general manager of the hotel Mr. Byun works at.”

          I keep still in my seat, and listen in silence.

          “Wow, that woman?”

          “I heard he lost the last round of promotion to her… Too bad, his mother really wished he could become the general manager while she was still alive.”

          “What’s a woman going to do in that position… Mr. Byun should be appointed instead.”

          “I know, right. Women in high power are no good.”

          “I heard she’s unmarried. She must have a lot of greed to cope with her loneliness.”

          I think I’m really ready to lose it. “Excuse me.” I turn to see them, and they all look at me. “She’s obviously chosen for the position because she’s more competent.”

          The men look a bit puzzled, and they fidget on their seat. One of them scoffs, and points at me with his shot. “Aigoo, Miss, we’re just trying to say good things about the mourning family.”

          I squint my eyes. Good things? As if.

          “You must be like this because you’re young. You still don’t know anything.”

          The other men start to laugh, but it slows down when they see something behind me. Someone taps my shoulder, and I turn my head. It’s Aunt. “Lana, let’s move to that table. There are people from the hotel too.”

          “Yes, Aunt.” I say loudly, and send one last glare to the group.

*

          On the way back, Aunt is in a lengthy phone call with someone while I look at the dark night through the window. It’s still far from the hotel, and my eyes are heavy.

          I think I won’t see Baekhyun in the near time. He might not be coming again to the hotel, who knows. I’m reminded again of Manager Byun, and I’m both mad and frustrated.

          Aunt ends the call, and exhales deeply. “Phew, I hope that’s the last one for today. Lana, you must be exhausted too. You still want to spend the night in my penthouse?”

          I nod. Aunt smiles, and pats my hair. “Nice.”

          I feel her warm hand on my head, and suddenly my eyes feel hot. “Aunt, are you lonely?”

          Aunt turns to see me, looking a bit stunned. “Well… I’m surrounded by hundreds of employees and guests every day, how can I feel lonely? Plus, my pretty niece is visiting. I’m not lonely at all.”

          “Are you having a hard time?”

          She thinks for a bit. “My job isn’t easy, but you know how I enjoy it so much. You’ll know later when you start working.” she laughs. She notices my gleaming eyes, and her eyes widen in surprise. “Oh my, Lana, what’s wrong?”

          Before I know it my tears start falling and Aunt pulls me into a hug. “Aigoo, Lana, why are you like this? Should we pull over and buy something delicious?”

          I shake my head on her embrace, and my whole body is trembling. I just feel angry that someone I love is receiving unreasonable hatred, even from complete strangers.

          “Should I stop, ma’am?” the driver says from the front.

          “Just go slowly for the moment.” Aunt whispers. “Oh no… You must be feeling sentimental after visiting the funeral, right?” Aunt hugs me tighter and pats my back. “It’s okay, Lana. But things like this happen when you grow up, so you should stay strong.”

          I lean on her shoulder, and sniff. She doesn’t know her last sentence could be used in the context that I only know for the moment.

*

          For the next days, I don’t see Baekhyun or his father in the hotel. Maybe the funeral is still being held.

          He doesn’t contact me, and I have no intention to reach him either. However, his absence is quite hard to come unnoticed for me, who practically went everywhere in this hotel together with him.

          One morning, I’m coming out from my room for breakfast when I hear the next room is being opened, along with chatters of two people. I think one of them is Baekhyun’s voice. I speedily hide behind the door, and close it again. I peek through the peephole, but the people seem to be still on the entrance.

          I can faintly hear the sound of luggage being pushed, and the view shows Baekhyun and a hotel employee passing by my room.

          Before he walks past, Baekhyun takes a quick look at my door, then continues going. I’m holding the side of my clothes, feeling jittery for no reason. So he’s really leaving.

*

          My stay in the hotel is nearly ending, and I mostly fill my time with attending random lessons and events. Manager Byun is back at work, but I try to avoid him all the time.

          My family’s driver picks me up from the hotel, and he looks amazed seeing the exterior of the building. “I took you here at night so I didn’t see it properly, but it’s really breathtaking during the day.” he comments. “You must take a lot of pretty pictures during your stay, Miss.”

          “I guess.” I take a look at the glass decors on the lobby entrance as the car starts moving. I browse through my phone, and scroll the gallery. I did take a lot of photos… Flowers, the outdoor pool, the gym, the tennis court, the sky… I don’t really take pictures of people, so I almost find none. I don’t even have one of myself.

          I come across a short video, and I press play.

          “Ah, move! I’m trying to take a picture of the dessert!”

          “Me too, me too!” Baekhyun pops out in the frame, sporting a peace sign.

          “Ah, go away—wait, it’s a video?!”

          It ends with Baekhyun’s wide laugh caught on camera, and the still cut makes my heart heavy. I turn off the screen and look at the trees outside, wishing they could calm me down.

          I slowly look at my phone again, and after deliberating for awhile, I press the delete button.