25 (One)

Brash And Curious

          “Daughter, do you have plans for the next week?” Mom asks one morning. “Uncle Kang’s son is getting married. Remember, that friend of your father’s?”

          “Um… No.” I say as I continue reading a magazine in the living room.

          “Dad wants us all to go. You’re in, right?”

          “I have a lot of assignments though…”

          “Oh, come on, it’s just a wedding. After your sister moved out with her husband last year and you being busy with school, we haven’t spent a proper family time.”

          “Mom, we live together.”

          “Vacations and such, I mean!” Mom whines.

          “Alright, alright, I’m going. Where is it?”

          “It’s on your aunt’s old hotel. You haven’t visited there again, right?”

          “Why would I, Aunt’s not there anymore.” I say. “We’re going there only for the wedding, right?” then it should only be for two days max if we spend the night there…

          “Your father wants to stay for five days.”

          “What?!”

          “His friends are going to be there, it may get extended if he wants.” Mom shrugs. “Of course the wives will be there too.”

          “Ah, then what about me? You said it’s family time!”

          “Aigoo, you know the hotel is good, there’ll be a lot to do.” Mom says. “Start packing!”

*

          A few days later, we arrive at night, and we’re ushered to the VIP reception room. As we’re served welcome drinks, an employee says the general manager is on his way to greet us.

          I was on my phone when the door is opened, and the sides of my mouth go down. He’s someone seemingly familiar.

          “Welcome, Mr. Hong. I’m Byun, the general manager.” the man reaches out to shake Dad’s hand. “I worked with Miss Hong Jinhee for a long time in this hotel. Is she doing well?”

          “Oh, she’s doing great. Last year we visited her in Sydney and she said she couldn’t be happier.” Dad chuckles.

          “That’s very good to hear. Oh, Lana, you’re here too. It’s been a long time.”

          I try to form a courteous smile. This person, Manager Byun—oh, is it GM Byun now? I loathe him for badmouthing Aunt that time. I only visited again once after that incident, and subtly avoided him. Then Aunt was scouted by an international hotel company to handle their Sydney branch three years ago, and I haven’t gone here again since.

          My mind goes to his son, and memories start to come back at me.

          “My son Baekhyun and Lana spent some time together during their vacations.” GM Byun smiles, and I shudder hearing that name. “He’s not here now, but once in a while he randomly comes since his school is nearby.”

          “It was ages ago.” I mutter.

          “Of course, some time has passed. You have matured so much. I guess you’re now working somewhere?”

          “She’s in graduate school, and it’s her spring break.” Mom answers for me.

          “Ah, then, have you had dinner?” GM Byun asks.

          “We ate at our favorite diner on the way here, we couldn’t skip it when coming to this town.” Dad says. “We’ll just go straight to the room.”

          “Ah yes, the suite is ready. Let me bring you there.” GM Byun escorts us to the elevator. I look at my parents and him conversing, and hold myself back from glaring at him. He finally became the general manager, huh… I wonder if he still has a nasty personality behind this façade. Well, enjoy your position. Aunt is still more successful than you.

          Mom wakes me up early in the morning, already dressed for the day. “We’re taking a morning walk. Are you coming?”

          “I want to sleep more.” I say in a hoarse voice. Mom clicks her tongue, and goes out from my room while claiming how the weather and flowers are perfect this time.

          I get out of the bed a few hours later, and after having breakfast inside the suite I decide to also go around since my parents haven’t returned.

          I look at the floor buttons in the elevator, thinking of where to go. I already forgot what places this hotel has. I press 25, five floors down mine. It doesn’t need key card to go there, it means it’s not a floor of rooms.

          The door opens, and it’s a semi outdoor hallway leading to somewhere else. Wait—I remember this floor. Isn’t it where the sky view restaurant is?

          I walk the stone pathway that leads to the spot, and see that it’s indeed the restaurant. It’s still the same as before—a huge, see-through glass dome. It looks bright under the warm spring sun, and I sigh remembering that I visited this place with Baekhyun once for a nice dinner.

          I slowly walk there, only to realize it might not be a place for dining anymore. Through the transparent surface I identify the interior, and I think it’s a… wedding hall?

          “Oh, Hong Lana?”

          I look at the source of voice near the entrance, and a long-haired female in employee attire looks at me in surprise. It took me a few seconds to recognize her. “Seo Daeun!” I rush to her, and we hug each other. “Oh my, it’s been a long time—you’re an employee here?”

          “I know, we only met a few times after high school. Yeah, I’m in the marketing team! You’re here for vacation?”

          “Yeah… Only to attend a wedding, to be honest.”

          “Perhaps the one on Saturday?”

          “Yeah.”

          “Then it’s the one that’s going to be held here! I’m here to arrange a few things.” Daeun says.

          “Wow… I didn’t know it turned into a wedding hall. Wasn’t it a restaurant before?”

          “Oh, how did you know?”

          “Ah… I came here a few times before.”

          “It was a restaurant, but the GM turned it into the current place. It’s been a popular wedding spot since.”

          Daeun and I enter the dome, and I look around. “Impressive.”

          “By the way, from which side did you get the invitation?”

          “The groom. Our fathers are friends, I don’t really know him, though.”

          “Whoa, your network is always admirable. The family owns Kangdae Steel, right? The bride is my classmate in university, she got herself a great catch.”

          I just laugh slowly. After going around, Daeun asks me to join her for coffee, and we head to her office. On the way, I exchange greetings with some employees that still recognize me, and Daeun looks curious. “How did you know them?”

          “Ah… Actually, my aunt is a former general manager here.”

          “What, the one before the current GM?” Daeun’s eyes widen. “GM Hong?”

          “Oh, you’ve met her? How long have you worked here?”

          “No, no. It’s been years since she went abroad, right? I only heard about her through talks. I hear she was an amazing woman.”

          My lips curl. Indeed, my aunt is awesome.

          The office is currently empty, and I sit in an employee’s chair. “It’s like this in spring, nobody is barely in the office.” Daeun says.

          “The events are endless, right? Fighting.” I smile.

          “Lana, it means you went here a lot, right?” Daeun is still interested. “How often do you go?”

          “Eh, not that frequently.” I answer. “But maybe often enough that one time, I was caught in the marketing team’s photo for promotional purposes.” I laugh. “It was when I was in middle school or something.”

          “Maybe if I dig old photos, I would find you.” Daeun chuckles. “The seat you’re sitting on, the computer there contains all documentation of the events over the year. Pretty sure you’d be there.”

          “Really?” I turn the chair to face the computer, and Daeun helps to browse the directory. The files are sorted by year, then date and the name of the event.

          Daeun goes to another side of the room to get the coffee, and I silently take a look at the folders. When are the times I went here…

          The pointer hovers to the folder of five years ago, and it was the year I met Baekhyun on winter break. I try to remember what events we went to, and I remember the ballroom dance class.

          There’s a folder of it… I don’t recall that there was someone who took photos that day. Maybe they were pretty stealthy. I go through the photos, and find quite a lot of shots of me and Baekhyun. I find one when I was being very close to him, whispering something to his ears. What in the world was I doing? I don’t even remember.

          I look at the other folders, and find us in yoga class, cooking class, even makeup class. Oh, I remember… After the makeup class, he went to my room… And he kissed me.

          I grip the mouse with unnecessary strength, and heave a deep breath. The photos bring back memories, but I’m not even sure if it’s good or bad.

          “Coffee’s here!” Daeun cheerfully says, and I hurriedly close the file. “How is it, did your find your photos?”

          “There are too many folders, I’ll check it out later.” I grimace, and take the coffee from her hand.

*

          After exchanging numbers and promising each other to eat a meal together, Daeun continues working and I plan to return to the suite. I have my head down while checking messages on my phone in front of the elevator, but my mind is somewhere else. Hah, I shouldn’t have looked at the photos.

          Byun Baekhyun… Is he living well? Is he even someone I should be concerned this much? What we had was vague, and ended in an even more ambiguous note.

          It’s not like we’re going to meet again anyway. GM Byun says he comes at random times because his school is nearby, right… I don’t plan to go out much, I think there’s only a small chance we’ll bump into each other.

          The elevator dings open. I see from the side of my eyes that there’s only one person inside, and I wait until he comes out.

          A few seconds pass, but the person stays still. Wait, isn’t this the ground floor? Maybe he took the wrong direction and is going up again. I lift my head as I take a step forward, but I freeze as soon as I see the person properly.

          Baekhyun is looking straight at me from inside the elevator, his expression is unreadable.