20 (Five)

Brash And Curious

          He takes my waist underwater, and pulls me closer to him. “Great. Now we have the pool for ourselves.”

          I look at him without a word for a few seconds, then splash a generous amount of water to his face. He lets out a short yelp, and rubs his face.

          “It means we have more space for each of us. Let me borrow this.” I pull the goggles from his forehead. “Don’t follow me.”

          I hear him chuckling lightly before I swim away, and I enjoy a peaceful time in the pool. It’s super huge, and before a full round I’m already tired. Baekhyun is coming out from the pool, and squats on the poolside near where I’m floating. “Do you want anything to drink?”

          I shake my head. “Later.”

          Baekhyun is seen talking to a waiter, and the latter leaves. From the side of my eye I see Baekhyun standing still, watching me even after his drink arrived. I take a few to the nearest ladder, and climb up.

          “What aren’t you good at, exactly?” he asks as he walks to me, with a glass in one hand.

          “I wonder.” I rub my wet face and hair.

          “What are we going to do today?”

          “We?” I tilt my head innocently. “I know my schedule, I’m not sure about yours.”

          Baekhyun scoffs as a side of his mouth goes up. He gets dangerously close, and bends down to my ears. His shoulders are right in front of my eyes, and I see a tick of water from his hair going down his neck. “Admit it, you hate to be alone too. You’d be lonely without me.”

          I take a step back, and put my index finger on his forehead to push him away. “Personal space.”

          He laughs, and takes a sip of his drink. “So? What’s for today? Or am I deciding again?”

          I take his glass from his hand, and he smiles teasingly.

          “See, this is why I asked if you wanted something to dri—”

          I push his chest in one quick movement, and I catch the sight of his eyes widening before he fell to the water completely. I watch his body submerge into the water, then coming back up again as he gasps for air.

          “Hey, Hong Lana!”

          I form a smile, and places a hand on my waist as I sip his drink. “If you want to do something together that badly, see what’s on schedule tomorrow at 2 PM. I’ll wait.”

          I turn around to leave after throwing his goggles to his direction, and slowly laugh to myself.

          A few moments later I’m drying my hair in my room when a call from Baekhyun comes. “Makeup class? Are you kidding me?” it’s the most furious tone I’ve ever heard from him.

          “You were always the one to choose, isn’t it time to do what I want?”

          “Ugh.” he groans from the other side. “Alright.”

          His last answer is soulless and uninterested, but I thoroughly enjoy it. “See you tomorrow.”

*

          At the next day’s makeup class, I’m the only one who brings a live model, and the model is crossing his arms and making a pout while sitting down in front of me.

          “I’ll only focus on your eyes, don’t worry.” I say as I apply some primer to Baekhyun’s eyelid. A few other participants glance at us in amusement, and I laugh a little feeling the interests.

          “I’m going to erase it as soon as this ends.” Baekhyun says under his breath.

          “Of course. I’m going to use multiple colors today, I’m not sure you’d want to go around like that.”

          He audibly exhales, but says nothing afterwards and lets me do the makeup while having his eyes closed.

          “You have great skin.” I comment.

          “I know.”

          “Should I do a full face makeup?”

          Baekhyun opens his eyes, and shoots me a disapproving look. “Alright, alright.” I hold back my laughter. It’s fun to back like this.

          After some time the instructor passes by, and she lets out an amazed ‘wow’ seeing my work. “Miss, you’re using such bold colors. Very refreshing!”

          Baekhyun opens his eyes again, and my hand stops him from reaching the hand mirror. “Thank you. I haven’t finished.” I say sweetly to the instructor. I turn to Baekhyun again, and send a threatening gaze. He goes back to his model mode, and I giggle.

          “I can guarantee you the quality.” I look at the result. “Open your eyes.”

          Baekhyun stares right at me, and I raise my eyebrows. “Wow.”

          He takes the mirror, and looks at his reflection. At first he seems appalled, but after inspecting closer he makes very small nods. “It’s not too bad.”

          Baekhyun is going straight to the bathroom after the session, and Aunt calls me when I’m walking out from the class.

          “Lana, where are you? Can you come to the café now? I have someone I want you to meet.”

          “Oh? I’m nearby, wait a bit.” I’ve reached the café in less than a minute, and I see Aunt in the café, sitting across an unidentified man. I sit next to her, and see the person properly. He’s a good-looking man with warm, friendly smile and black curly hair that covers almost half of his face.

          “This is Shane Kim, a painter. He’s going to hold an exhibition in this hotel.”

          “Hello.” I shake his hand, and Shane flashes his pearly whites.

          “Oh, Baekhyun! You’re here too.” Aunt spots Baekhyun who seems to be looking for me, and he joins the table. He’s erased most of the colors, but the eyeliner is still visible. “Are you wearing eye makeup?” Aunt furrows her brows.

          “Lana did it.” he says.

          Aunt also introduces Shane to him, and she continues talking. “My older brother, Lana’s father, is interested in art. I guess it’s inherited to Lana.”

          I smile. Shane nods in interest, and throws his charming smile again. “By the way, you’re really pretty, Miss Lana.”

          I try hard not to blush, and I see Baekhyun glaring a bit at Shane next to him.

          “Oh, you know how girls get so much prettier once they turn twenty.” Aunt laughs.

          “Must be nice to be young.” Shane comments with a laugh. “I’m thirty, I feel so old already.”

          “What? I thought you’re much younger!” I exclaim, making Aunt and Shane laugh.

          “Shane’s exhibition is in one month. Ah, but your winter break has ended by then, right?” Aunt says.

          “I can always go back.” I speedily answer. “I’ll bring my parents too.”

          Aunt and Shane look satisfied, and Baekhyun still has an unpleasant expression on his face. I send him a warning look, and he strays his eyes somewhere else.

          “Please stay until dinner, we have a seafood buffet today.” Aunt offers, but Shane regretfully shakes his head.

          “I have another meeting, I should get going now. Thank you for the offer. Miss Lana, I’ll be waiting.”

          I nod excitedly. Aunt goes to see him off, and Baekhyun tails behind me as I walk out from the scene. “Hey, take responsibility for this.” he points to his eyes. I exhale loudly, and head to the elevator.

          “My makeup remover’s in my room.”

          Baekhyun and I enter my room, and he doesn’t say much. Probably because our rooms’ layout is the same. “Wow, your view is much better.”

          “Aunt’s been spoiling me.” I go through my vanity, and find the remover bottle. “Sit down.”

          Baekhyun takes a seat on the edge of my bed, and I stand in front of him as I prepare the cotton pad. I start to clean the eyeliner, sometimes brushing harshly on purpose.

          “Are you really cleaning them? Are you sure you’re not putting makeup on them again?” he sounds terrified, and he has one hand pulling on the side of my clothes.

          “It’s hard to come off.” I say. “That instructor does have good products, it seems…”

          Baekhyun sighs. “Is your aunt trying to set you up with that painter?”

          “She’s been trying to set me up with everyone.” I answer in a bored tone.

          “Including me?”

          “Maybe.” I nonchalantly say.

          “What’s your type? Age-wise?”

          “Me? Maybe someone close to my age… But seeing Shane Kim today, maybe 10-year isn’t much.”

          Baekhyun makes a weird face. “Why?” I ask.

          “He’s old!”

          “What? 30 isn’t old!” I protest.

          “But still—”

          “Ah, I don’t want to talk about it now.” I say as I rub a final touch on Baekhyun’s right tear duct. “It’s done.”

          Without the makeup, he’s back to a small-eyed, puppy-looking guy. “Wow, the difference is astonishing.” I cup his face with my hands, and Baekhyun opens his eyes. “I should definitely do a full face on you later.”

          Suddenly the look in his eyes changes, and I grow suspicious. “What?” I say.

          He pushes my hands down with one hand, and rises to his feet. His sudden movement makes me stumble a bit, but he catches me by my waist and before I could stand again properly my vision goes dark and I’m silenced by his lips.