25 (Seven)

Brash And Curious

          After breakfast, Baekhyun takes me to the basement parking area and unlocks a car with a remote control. “Where are we going?” I ask.

          He opens the door for me, and I keep looking at him suspiciously. He walks around to the driver’s seat, and starts the engine. “Outside. Aren’t you bored staying in the hotel?”

          We pass the hotel gate, and after seeing the tall trees and hills outside I realize how confined I felt despite the size of the hotel. “You’re right.”

          “I wish I had a driving license five years ago, we would have gone everywhere.” Baekhyun says. I look at him driving, and leans to the car seat to admire the view. “What?” he asks, glancing at me.

          “Nothing. You look cool.”

          His face stays flat for a second, then his lips curl. “The day has finally come, wow… Hong Lana finally falls for me.”

          “Oh, you have no idea.”

          “What does that mean?”

          “Nothing.” I enigmatically answer. Baekhyun scoffs, and we drive away.

          I thought we’re going to the town’s direction, but he took the opposite way, to a more uphill road. He keeps ascending the field with ease, skillfully turning right and left.

          He pulls over at a roadside on the highest point we reached, and he instructs me to come out. Over the barrier is the most breathtaking view of the lower land spread before my eyes. “Wow.” I breath.

          “Nice, right? It also looks amazing at night. Let’s go here again when it’s dark.” Baekhyun sounds satisfied.

          “Oh, isn’t that the hotel?” I point to a tall grey building on top of the hill on our right. It looks so tiny from here. “The glass dome is seen from this angle!”

          “Fascinating, right?” Baekhyun chuckles. “And if you look at the far left, that long white thing—it’s part of my school.”

          “Whoa.” I exclaim. It may look close, but I guess it’d still take some time to reach each other.

          I look at the places, and the cool spring breeze brushes my face. I glance at Baekhyun, and presses my lips. “You know…”

          Baekhyun turns to see me, fully listening.

          “We should start thinking about that.”

          “What’s ‘that’?” Baekhyun says, clueless.

          “Is it possible for us to meet regularly? We live like, three-four hours away from each other. And we haven’t even talked about our personal schedules.”

          Baekhyun looks at the view again, then walks towards me. From behind, he puts his head on my shoulder and wraps his hands around my waist. He hasn’t said anything, but his temperature already soothes me.

          “Of course we’ll try to meet as often as possible. Even when we can only meet once in a long while, don’t you think the longing will be worth it?” Baekhyun says. “But definitely not once every five years.” he adds bitterly.

          I laugh, and Baekhyun follows suit. Yeah, at least now the interval is not going to be as agonizing as before.

*

          After enjoying the view, Baekhyun brings me to rest in a traditional-style lodging which is uniquely built on levels of a hill. Baekhyun comes out bringing the key from the office, and points to a lone unit on the peak of the hill.

          “The ones in the middle are good enough, why did you choose the single one at the very top?” I groan.

          “Privacy.” Baekhyun whispers, and winks. I roll my eyes.

          I stop, and call Baekhyun’s name. “I’m tired. Carry me there.”

          Baekhyun turns around, and is seen sighing. I’m completely fine, I just want to joke around with him. I don’t expect him to squat down in front of me and offers me a piggyback ride. “Get on.”

          I devilishly smile, and put my arms around his neck from behind. Baekhyun groans loudly as he lifts me up from the ground, and he takes slow steps. “God, you’re heavy.”

          “Oh come on, you’re a former soldier.”

          “You took all the energy out from me last night.”

          I jump down from his back, and gift him with a hard slap to his arm. Baekhyun laughs loudly, and runs. I have no intention to chase him, and shake my head.

          We finally arrive at our unit, and the yard is too spacious for the small shelter. “The room seems tiny.”

          “Yeah, the owner says it’s usually for couples in honeymoon.” Baekhyun says. “Shall we spend the night here?”

          I shoot him a mean look, and Baekhyun smiles. “I get it. Let’s get inside.”

          We enter the room, and it’s very minimalistic, a bit dim with futons and pillows piled on a corner. A small, old TV is placed above a small antique cabinet and an even more retro-style tablecloth.

          “I know this room is basically as big as the bed in the hotel, but it’s a good change from our usual place.” Baekhyun says. “What do you think?”

          “I like it! I’ve never been to this kind of lodging before.” I jump around the room, and Baekhyun smiles in relief.

          We spread out a futon, and lie side by side on it. We’re only being lazy, enjoying the warmth for some time. I start to get sleepy when I remember something. “Right, I have something I want to show you.”

          I take out my phone, and go to the gallery. I pick a photo and show it in full screen. It’s a photo of him struggling to keep a position in a yoga class, five years ago. Next to him is me pulling the pose perfectly, giving him a ridiculing look.

          Baekhyun takes my phone to his hand, and gasps. “Whoa, this—!”

          I laugh slowly. “This is just the start.” I swipe to left, and show him more photos of us from five years ago. He gets hysterical seeing the photos from the makeup class, and the room is filled with our laughs.

          “Okay, but you have to admit I looked pretty with the eye makeup.” he sounds proud for some reason, and I giggle. Baekhyun returns the phone to me, and leans on his side. “You’ve been keeping them all this time?”

          “No, I got these from the marketing office this morning.” before breakfast, I asked Daeun for a favor and copied all the photos of me and Baekhyun from all the events we attended five years ago, in her office. I look at the screen, and heave a deep breath.

          “That time, I had no memento of you. Actually I had a short accidental video which had you in it but I deleted it out of anger when I was leaving the hotel. I regretted deleting it. Because… Sometimes I—I missed—”

          I put my phone down to my chest when I feel my eyes getting hot. Tears quickly form, and I roll to my side, avoiding Baekhyun.

          He realizes what’s happening, and I hear him sitting up. “What happened? Are you crying?!”

          A drop of tears rolls down to my nose bridge and I quickly wipe it. “Gosh, it all comes back to me now after meeting you again. I thought I’ve forgotten.”

          Baekhyun hugs me from behind, and he’s patting my shoulder gently. “You missed me?”

          “I mean—we were going everywhere together. Then you left. But I was angry that time, so I held myself back.” I blink a few times, preventing more tears.

          “I’m sorry. I won’t go anywhere now.” he says softly as he holds me tighter.

          I roll around, and face him. He pulls me to his chest, and kisses my hair.

          “I’m here, I won’t leave.”