Two - Friendship

Chasing Pavements

 

Eunji went to the locker area after her last class for the day and her best friend Bomi was there to her surprise, obviously waiting for her with a bored look on her face. 

She reached for her and gave her a tight hug.

"You looked like a zombie!" Bomi blurted. 

"I'm happy to see you too!" Eunji exclaimed and rolled her eyes.

"I was just away for two weeks and this is what you've become? And what, it's only been a month since you got married and you're already like this? I knew I should have done everything to stop that wedding!" Bomi nagged. She was out for a seminar overseas and she can't believe her best friend looked like someone who's been starved for days! 

"What are you, my mother?" She snapped back in a weak tone. Bomi has always been like this. Bomi never liked Jongin for her, as if Jongin liked her for him even.

Bomi never failed to point out how Jongin's not good for her whenever she has the chance and Eunji understands her, Bomi's been there for her through thick and thin and all her craziness for Jongin and she put up with her although sometimes she's really overbearing. "I'm okay, really." She added.

"Well you don't seem okay to me! Do you still even eat? I'm sure if your mom sees you like this I bet she will pack your things herself and fly you to China! " Sara said exaggeratedly. 

"Whatever. You're so dramatic. How are you?" She said, trying to change the topic.

"Don't change the topic. I have to go to class now but you're staying at my apartment tonight, we have a lot to talk about." Bomi said and quickly hugged her and went on her way.

Talk. Yeah, that's what she's been avoiding to be honest or else she will surely cry again. The plan was to put up a good facade to make sure there'll be no questions, pity pep talks and so on. Obviously she's failing. Maybe she should have put some makeup on.

~~~

Eunji took her heavy backpack and was about to head off to Bomi's place. She needed to bring some clothes since she still has a class the next day. 

It was already six in the evening but Jongin still hasn't arrived yet. He normally gets home past nine or later anyway. Ever since they got married that has been the routine. Jongin leaves whenever and gets home whenever. Anyway, she still left a note on the fridge, just in case even though she knows Jongin wouldn't give a damn wherever she maybe.

They barely see each other and when they bumped into each other she felt like walking on thin ice because Jongin was always in a bad mood with her at everything she does. Understandably.

Obviously Jongin has been really trying his best to avoid her at all cost so she's giving him that space since she actually plans to stay at Bomi's place the entire weekend. 

He must be really angry at her or hated her that he didn't even want to see her face. Again, she can't even blame him. She understands where he's coming from. If she could just turn back time and undid what she did then she will. At least before she can still look at him with confidence that she really liked him without shame.

What she did was really pathetic and she admitted that herself. She didn't know that she could pull off such a scheme, but it already happened. She can only do so much now to atleast man up what she did. She wanted the marriage to work and she'll do her best and if Jongin wants space or privacy, or doesn't want to see her face then she will let him be for now. In which she knew she should have done years before.

She felt bad with how everything had turned out. No, she felt devastated and she only has herself to blame. What an idiot she was?!

She wanted to call him to just even hear his voice but she knew he wouldn't pick like he won't reply to her texts, she hoped he would read the note the very least. She let out a sigh and somehow felt like crying again but she held back her tears and went out of their house. 

Their house was Jongin's parents gift. The furniture were from her Mother, who's now residing in China. Her dad died when she was still in grade school due to some vehicular accident. When she was in middle school her mom met her stepfather on one of the conventions she attended for work, her stepfather was a chinese-korean based in China so when the two got married after a year of long distance relationship her mother moved to China too and left her with a nanny and some relatives within the vicinity as well, after so much debate and bargaining with her mother of course.

That was also the time when she kept on going to Jongin's house more often than usual. She liked Jongin's mom and it was true that she kept on going there for Jongin at first but after a while she fell in love with her too. 

Just when she was just out of their house she saw Jongin's car going to their driveway. She felt a slight panic as she didn't know what to do.

Should she just go on and leave or wait for him to personally say goodbye?

Jongin was already out of his car and walking towards her before she could even decide.

"I'm going to Bomi's place for the weekend." She said in a hurry. Her voice was fainting for some reasons.

Jongin just kept on walking and only stopped when he's towards the door and stood a few inches from Eunji who's obviously struggling with her heavy bulky backpack. 

"You can't. Mom's coming over for the weekend too." He said flatly and walked inside the house leaving Eunji still standing still.

"Oh." She just muttered. Well she didn't get any call from Jongin's mom like she normally does. She suddenly feels the chills on her spine, not sure if because of her mother in law coming over and knowing the real deal between her and Jongin or because Jongin spoke to her for the first time in ages. Probably both.

She put down her back pack and took her phone out of her jeans pocket to call Jongin's mom. Why is she coming over all of a sudden?

"Yes dear. I'll be there tomorrow." Jongin's mom said on the other line. 

"Oh. Are you coming with Dad?" She pried.

"Oh no. He will be out of town that's why I'll stay over the weekend there if you don't mind."

"Oh, no, no, of course not! I'll prepare the guest room for you then." She quickly responded. She's happy to see her but if she saw their situation, Eunji doubts if the old lady will be happy and that's what she's worried about.

"Alright then. It was supposed to be a surprise.Tsk. Your husband really couldn't keep a secret. Anyway, I have to go now. I'll see you tomorrow."

She called Bomi right after and told her the news and she'll just see her at school tomorrow.

She went back inside the house. Jongin was nowhere to be found, probably in his room. She got worried more because Jongin was using the guest room. They have to stay together in the master's bedroom which she's using alone, since his mom will stay with them. It would have been nice if only Jongin didn't hate her. 

Jongin's mother will be greatly disappointed when she finds out the real set up in the house. How will she even tell Jongin to move back to the master's bedroom, even just for the weekend? That'll probably add to Jongin's anger to her, how will she even talk to him in the first place?

Worry after another. Great!

~~~

"I thought you're already dumb but you got dumber. Just divorce him already." Bomi simply said. They're in the cafeteria for lunch.

"That's not funny!" She snapped back. She told Bomi what had been happening with her and Jongin.

"Who's joking here? I don't know what to tell you honestly. You just got yourself a death wish. I told you he's bad news ever since but you didn't listen. Now that you're living with him, did it make you happier?" She said with a sigh. 

There are a number of guys that are swooning over Eunji and Bomi doubts if her best friend ever noticed that at all, even before. Eunji only has her eyes for Jongin. Bomi understands that Jongin was good looking, smart and all that but still he's obviously not charmed by her best friend, and now he despises Eunji and Bomi didn't even understand why he agreed to marry her. And now he's making her bestfriend's life miserable. It was just a month ago and Eunji already lost it. She can barely look at her best friend cause she looked so stressed and depressed!

"I just told you I can't live without him." She seriously said. "He'll come around." She said, deep inside trying to convince herself too.

Bomi was about to say something but paused when Lay arrived, one of Jongin's friends.

"Hey, Eunji, how have you been? It's good to see you again after a while! Have you been hiding from us? " Lay asked and sat next to Eunji.

Bomi just rolled her eyes but didn't say anything. 

"Of course not! I've just been so busy lately." She lied. 

"Good. By the way, have you seen Jongin?"

"I haven't. Why?" Eunji asked back.

"Well this is about this." He said and took out a glossy flyer from his bag. "Can you please give this to him and tell him that this is the final layout so if he's okay with this then we'll have it printed out already." He explained and handed Eunji the flyer.

"Dance competition for the school festival?" Eunji uttered. She's one of the organizers of the school events but she didn't know about this. Well she haven't been to their club meetings for a while now because of her dilemma, maybe she should attend next time. 

"Yeah. This end of the month. You didn't know? Your club handles it." Lay said as a matter of fact. "Well we're one of the participants but not contestants, Jongin's one of the judges." He explained.

Yeah, of course. Jongin is too good to be a contestant. He's not the president of the dance club for nothing and Lay's the vice president.

"I see. I'll tell him." She hopes.

"Thanks! I have to go now. Oh. By the way Chanyeol has been looking for you, call him okay? Bye Bomi " He smiled and left.

"What?" Eunji blurted. Bomi has been staring at her intently after Lay left.

"I was thinking, Lay was similar to Jongin in many ways plus he's way nicer. You should have just dated him."

"Are you crazy! He's Jongin's friend. He's my friend too. "

"Exactly. I don't understand what you saw with Jongin that Lay doesn't have?"

"I'm married now. With Jongin." She sternly said.

"I know. How unfortunate. Just divorce him, think about it." She seriously said.

"I'm not going to make myself a divorcee. Please don't bring it up again. I'm really starting to hate you now."

"Sorry. I know how much you love him that sometimes I wonder if that's really love. But, nevermind. Promise me you'll be okay?"

"I promise. So quit being so dramatic." She just said.

~~~

After lunch Eunji went to the library to quickly borrow some books before going to the casa for her car, she still needs to prepare the guest room for Jongin's mom later. Speaking of which, she still haven't talked to him about their room setup. This is going to be a long day.

She was surprised when her phone vibrated and saw Jongin's name on the caller id. It took her sometime to answer 'cause she's just wondering if her eyes were just fooling her. This must be the first time that he called her. 

"J-jongin… Y-yes?" She stuttered. She didn't know if she's nervous or excited or maybe both. Darn it! She's utterly useless when it comes to Jongin, even answering a call from him is something she can't perfectly do!

"Took you this long just to pick up a call? Where are you? Are you done with your class today?"

What did she do this time? Why does he sounded angry? Oh dear.

"Ah, sorry. Y-yes, I'm done for today. I'm in the Library, just needs some books for my-"

"I'm at the parking. Come over and we'll need go somewhere." He cuts off and hung up before the other could answer. Why does she always stay in the library? It's not like she needs more studying.

A couple minutes and he saw Eunji running and huffing with books on her arms, faster than he thought, considering she came from the library. He wonders how she was able to run like that with her always heavy looking backpack. Her hair on a messy pony. Her yellow cotton dress that's just enough fit but very loose from the waist and a few inches above her knees that's ballooning as she runs, with her matte black dr. martens boots, she looked like a high schooler that's going for a sleepover than a senior university student. One more year and they're both graduating. 

He can't believe that this girl that was tailing him around for as long as he can remember became his wife. His wife. He can't help but feel disgusted on how she became his wife. How this frail looking girl was so capable. How she follows him around everywhere.How she managed to make his friends her friends. How she made his mom love her as well as his entire family. He shouldn't have underestimated her. Who would have thought that what he thought was a harmless crush would turn out to be like this?

She just stopped running when she's already few feet away from him and still panting. 

"I'm sorry. Where are we going?" She said shyly smiling at him after her breathing settled to normal.

He got into the driver's seat and Eunji in the passenger's. She tossed her bag and books at the back seat. Jongin looked blank as usual. He never smiled at her. She's used to that but it'd be great if she can see other expression on his face aside from despise.

"Where are we going?" She asked again as Jongin started to drive off the university. She's hoping to get an answer because she hates repeating herself. But Jongin will always be an exemption. 

"Grocery. Mom is staying with us for the weekend remember?" He said coldly.

He's always cold too and she's used to it too. A warm Jongin would be really nice. She wished.

He's just cold just to her anyway. All those times that she's been following him around, she saw him smile, laugh, play around or fool around. She saw a lot more sides of him that she liked and grew to love. He wasn't this cold to her before though, he was at least casual to her, smiled at her once or a very few times maybe? Until they got married of course. 

"Ah right. Oh by the way. Lay gave me this." She said and took the flyer that she slipped on her book. She showed the flyer to Jongin who barely glanced it. "Lay was asking if this is already okay to you so he can have it printed." She added and slipped it back in the book. Jongin looked disinterested anyway.

"I'll just call him." he just said.

"You didn't tell me that you're preparing for this. Is this why you come home late?" She asked and regretted it afterwards as she heard Jongin took a sharp sigh. She bit her lower lip and bowed her head for her stupidity. She must have sounded like a nagging wife now. Great start for a conversation Eunji. Darn. 

"I didn't think I had to. Strange cause I didn't remember telling you before any of my activities but yet you were always there anyway. Did your stalking ability get rusty now?" he said sarcastically. Besides she's one of the officers who organizes all the events that the university has and now she's saying she didn't know? 

"S-sorry." She just said, the word barely got out and she never spoke again until they reached the grocery. Scared that she might say something wrong again that may backfire.

Jongin on the other hand was silently judging how she seemed like a scaredy cat when he's around recently, as if he's going to jump at her any moment, 'cause for the record she's the one who'd probably do that to him if they're not under their current circumstance. He should really be more wary with her 'cause he knows more than anyone what she's capable of despite her deceiving looks.

She just followed Jongin around the grocery with a distance for his comfort. Jongin seems to be more familiar in doing the grocery than she is. What a shame. What kind of wife is she even? She can't cook. She couldn't do groceries. She just recently learned to do the household chores and she already ruined some of Jongin's and her clothes colors when she did the laundry and broke some plates when she washed the dishes. Jongin really deserved better. So she'll try to be better.

She's not used to doing household chores because she simply doesn't need to before. Of course she learned now that she needs to separate the white ones from the colored ones and everything else like denims and blankets and all that when she does the laundry. She knows how to do it right now as well as not breaking anything when washing the dishes. She even plans to enroll herself for a cooking class. So she can at least make him a decent meal one of these days. They said that a way to a man's heart is through his stomach, she already tried other ways but failed, and if she fails again she knows she'll just keep on trying.

After almost an hour roaming around the store and their cart was already full, courtesy of Jongin. They headed to the cashier who's gawking at Jongin and the bastard even smiled at the cashier too. She can't believe this! He smiled at the cashier but to her… Eunji almost wants to cry that instant!

They're taking too much time because there's a lot of items that need to be punched in and the cashier is obviously taking her sweet time too. Nice. 

Can she be any more obvious? Gosh. He's already married! Can't she see his wedding band? 

Oh right, he doesn't even wear their wedding ring. 

She can't help but feel like a loser that she is and at the same time feeling jealous until she can't take it anymore. She stepped closer to the counter that's a feet away from her. The cashier mustn't have noticed her all this time since she's too focused on Jongin.

She cleared to gain attention from the two which didn't fail because they both turned to her. 

"Is this going to take forever cause Mom will arrive soon before we do and I still need to prepare her room." She said coldly but intently looking at the cashier who's smiling back at her. 

What the hell? Why is she smiling like a creep?

"Oh. Your sister? She's cute! " The cashier blurted looking at Jongin who just chuckled.

Really? What the hell?!

She's pretty sure she and Jongin don't look like siblings at all! This cashier is impossible! Eunji took a deep breath to get a hold of herself before she could do or say something that she'll regret again, which is something that's becoming a habit recently, even though she wants to smack that girl's face with her wedding ring, but then again Jongin's not wearing his ring so maybe she should just back down for now...

"She's my wife." Jongin corrected. 

"Wife?! Oh. Sorry." Her smile faded, she sounded apologetic at least when she looked at Eunji again who just kept quiet and nodded. It was a good idea to keep shut after all.

Jongin admitted her as his wife is a huge leap! He may have said it in a flat tone but he still said she's his wife. That's already a triumph for Eunji.

The next few minutes were rather awkward and she decided to just head back to the car first. There's no need to be jealous anymore.

"I'll go back to the car first." She said to Jongin who just nodded.

Before she could walk on her phone vibrated. 

"Hey, Chanyeol!" She said in an excited tone that reached Jongin's hearing. She just looked back to Jongin to say goodbye again but he's frowning while looking at her. What now? She nodded at him instead and walked out as she talked to Chanyeol on the other line.

"Yeah? Okay! Sure this Friday then! Bye!" She said and hung up. Chanyeol was one of Jongin's friends too. He's in a band and he's inviting her to watch them play, the bar is just near the campus so she can definitely go. She liked all Jongin's friends but she liked Chanyeol the most. Chanyeol is musically inclined and he plays a lot of instruments. He's also the one giving her 'tips' where Jongin was during highschool days in return she has to watch him when he plays which she's more than happy to comply. 

The ride home was more awkward than the ride to the grocery. She just put on her earphone to listen to some songs Chanyeol recommended her last time. 

She forgot to pick up her car and now she doesn't have the time anymore. Just 'cause Jongin called. But whatever, she'll just get it on Monday then. 

When they reached home Jongin arranged the groceries himself so she just went upstairs to prepare the guest room.

Oh right, they haven't really talked about the set up but as if they have a choice. Jongin should understand.

The smell of the guestroom is of Jongin's, that scent that remembers from all those very few times he was near her. That smell of fresh morning dew with a citrus note. She stood there for a few good minutes to savor the moment and yet again she felt how she's deeply in love with him. Her eyes swelling again, oh how she only wished Jongin feels the same.

Jongin's room is fairly neat aside from his drawing board and the area around it which is understandable. Jongin's drawing table and all his tools are on the corner of the room. Blue prints and trace papers, sketch pads and different types of rulers and scales are scattered on the big table. She wouldn't dare to move those, simply because she herself wouldn't like it if someone touches her important things. Her drawing table is as messy as Jongin's but she knew where to find what. That's just how they work. Her tools on the other hand were in their mini library/study downstairs.

Undeniably, the room is filled of all of Jongin's things and she wouldn't know how to get around explaining it to his mother that she'd rather come clean. Well, truthfully his mom shouldn't expect much either about their relationship since she's the one who came up with that plan. But of course Jongin doesn't need to know. The last thing that Eunji would want was Jongin hating his mother too. Eunji would rather take all the blame.

~~~

Jongin's mom arrived before dinner. Just after Eunji finished cleaning the entire house while Jongin was cooking. It was tiring but at least she's seen Jongin a couple times in one day! So how can she complain?

She knew Jongin can somehow cook but this is the first time that she's going to try his cooking. She's definitely going to eat a lot! She's hungry anyway after all those cleaning and laundry. 

Today she felt like Jongin was really her husband. First he picked her up from school. Never mind the sarcastic remarks on the way. Then they did groceries, he even admitted her as his wife for the first time! Then lastly he cooked dinner. She must be really foolish to be happy at those gestures even though it wasn't on purpose for her benefit at all, but still she's happy.

She must be really lucky today. Oh, and he called her the first time! Isn't it amazing? There's still a chance for them. She can't help but smile while taking a shower earlier.

"So how's school?" Mrs. Kim asked while they're having dinner.

"Mom, you've been checking up on us every week." Jongin just chuckled. "Why did you suddenly want to stay here anyway?"

"I told you your dad was out of town didn't I? Besides I'm not here for you but for Eunji." Mrs.Kim said and smiled at Eunji gently.

"You've lost weight darling. Is Jongin giving you a hard time? " She asked Eunji.

Eunji just smiled a little."No. Ahm. It's just school." She said.

"I see. Well just let me know if Jongin isn't treating you right and we'll make him pay okay?" She said jokingly. Eunji just smiled awkwardly, she couldn't even look at Jongin's way 'cause in reality, how could she even make Jongin pay when everything is her fault?

After dinner Eunji washed the dishes while Mrs. Kim and Jongin were talking in the living room. Well, actually Mrs. Kim was talking while Jongin was watching tv. She can barely hear Jongin's 'yes mom' and 'no mom'.

~~~

After a few hours the three decided to call it a night. Eunji sends Mrs. Kim to the guest room. The old lady asked why Jongin's things are there and she told her the truth.

There's no need to lie about it. Not with her the least.

"Why did you just tell me this now dear? " Mrs. Kim said while gesturing Eunji to sit beside her on the bed.

Eunji sat beside Mrs. Kim and the old lady held her hand.

"I'm sorry that you have to go through all this and I can't do anything to help you. This is all my fault." Mrs. Kim let out a sigh.

Eunji shook her head lightly. "That's fine. We really can't do anything about this for now, let's give him all the time that he needs." Eunji said and just hoped Jongin wouldn't take a lifetime.

"Of course dear, he's just taking his time is all. Jongin can really be a pain sometimes but he's a good child. He'll come around just wait and see. Just be more patient okay?" She said and hugged her daughter in law. She felt bad for Eunji taking all Jongin's wrath after their scheme. She just really hopes that her son will realize what he has before Eunji gets tired of it all.

She always loved Eunji like her own. She's a bundle of joy. She really liked the girl for Jongin. Eunji's mom was her best friend and when she left for China she left her daughter with her to look after to, and she assured her that she will. But now it seems like she's not doing a great job whenever she sees Jongin ignoring Eunji deliberately. 

She saw Eunji grow up from a happy and fun little girl to a young fine lady. She's been going to their house because of her crush with Jongin that she never denied. And she thought it was cute seeing her following Jongin as they both grew up. Jongin seemed to be okay with that from what she saw. She never heard Jongin complaining about Eunji as well, he just let her be.

She somehow thinks that Jongin might also like Eunji even a bit but Jongin started to date a few girls in his senior years in high school. He even brought one home named Krystal and she thought she already lost hope in match making Eunji to Jongin cause her son seemed to be really smitten with that Krystal girl. She liked Krystal too as she was nice and all but still Eunji is still the best for her. And she saw Eunji broke her heart because of her son a few times whenever he dated when he never looked Eunji at all. 

She still thinks that no one will love Jongin the way Eunji does. She can't understand why her son can't see how lucky he is for having Eunji. She just hope this time he's not too blind anymore before it's too late.