Seven - Wake up call

Chasing Pavements

 

"Where are you? Where's Eunji?" He growled. It's nearly midnight and she hasn't come home yet and she's not answering her phone either. 

The last person that he saw her with was Kyungsoo so it would be just logical to call him. 

"I don't think I'm another man's wife keeper, Jongin. But, I think I can if that's Eunji. " He said sarcastically.

"What? Dammit Kyungsoo! Can't you just answer the damn question?" He said angrily. What is he trying to imply now? What's wrong with him lately, really?

"Where's Eunji?" He asked again.

"She's with Chanyeol."

"What? Why?"

"What do you mean why? Like you didn't know they're always together? Also, I need to talk to you. Can you come over to my place?" He just said instead. Jongin needs a little smacking sometimes and that's what he plans to do. He actually want to talk to him about Eunji but he didn't expect for his call. It wouldn't hurt if he proceeded to his plan sooner than necessary.

"About what?"

"You'll know when you get here." Kyungsoo said before hanging up.

Jongin's somewhat confused with what's happening. There's just so much going on. He's entangled with his unresolved issues with his wife and now his friends are somehow being a pain too. It all started after they got married. His friends never minded his non-existent relationship with Eunji before, sure they were there for her, supported her, Jongin didn't even know when or how they all became that close. His friends find Eunji cute back then after they learned about her following Jongin around, they started befriending her to tease of him and even spoiled Eunji, they liked her maybe because she's immune with their charms and was vocal how she's only after Jongin, and it was too late to tell them off about her when he noticed she's always around just as his friends, she was always there like a regular even those times when Jongin was dating other girls. Jongin didn't mind, she wasn't causing any issues anyway, he even thought she already got over him.

Presently, it's like  a zoomed in experience, it's like he sees everything closely and now he wonders how this situation has gotten out of context. He feels like he was left out. He sees now how his friends truly care for Eunji. How his friends are starting to call him out for his attitude. His behavior must be really insufferable lately for them to do that. Kyungsoo wasn't the type to start an argument or even joke around, hearing him making some snarky comments about how he somehow maybe wanted Eunji is definitely something Jongin is bothered about.

"It's no secret that I like you so much to be married to you…" He remembered her saying with her crying face... Jongin sighs at the thought. He was a jerk indeed.

~~~

He tried to ring Chanyeol but he's not picking up. He tried Eunji's number again but was also unreachable. Where would they be at this hour? What would they be doing at this time? Jongin feels awfully annoyed at his friends for the third time that day. 

And why does she keep on hanging out with his friends? The thought that she's too close to his friends to even stay out late like this was vexing.

Just this afternoon she was with Kyungsoo then Lay told him that she was with Eunji too and now she's with Chanyeol at this ungodly hour? For God's sake his friends are all males and she's already married with him! 

He grabbed his car keys and jacket to head to Kyungsoo's place. What could Kyungsoo want to talk about this late? Whatever, he might as well settle things with Kyungsoo and know what really is going on why he's been acting up like that. This day has been too long for him already. 

For someone who claims to be busy surely has the time to hang around with his wife lately and last time she said they're doing some project together which he finds really strange. She was even wearing his freakin' shirt! 

When he arrived at Kyungsoo's apartment the latter was already a little drunk. What's wrong with him? Both of them aren't really fond of alcoholic drinks. Chanyeol was the only one among them who could handle drinking well.

"What's your problem? Why are you drinking?" He asked and took a can of beer to open it, dropped himself on the couch where Kyungsoo was sitting. "I won't stay long cause Eunji's still not home. What do we need to talk about?"

"The problem is you Jongin." Kyungsoo said seriously.

"What the hell?" he blurted and took a sip from the beer can.

"Do you even like Eunji?" Kyungsoo asked all of a sudden.

"Huh? Is this why you asked me to come? This is non-sense! I'm going home." He just said and was about to stand up and leave but Kyungsoo's next sentence made him stay on his seat.

"Can't you just give her to me? " he said.

Jongin was dumbfounded. Did Kyungsoo just ask him to give Eunji to him? He's gotten crazy. Was Eunji a puppy or a kitten that he can just give away to his friend or to anyone for that matter 'cause it'd be so much easier if that was the case. Sure she's been pestering him around but she's still his, and she's his wife now. 

Jonging sighed at his own thoughts, when did he actually claim her as his wife this easily, naturally?

"You're drunk. That was a terrible joke by the way, I'll pretend that I didn't hear that." He stood up.

"I'm not drunk and I'm definitely not joking. If you're not going to take care of Eunji properly then you might as well divorce her and I can make sure I can treat her better than you do." He said seriously.

Jongin clenched his jaws and he wanted to hit his friend's face at the very moment. He's asking him to divorce his wife for him? What the hell has been happening? Did Eunji already cheat on him with his friend after all?

"Where is this coming from? Are you having an affair with my wife?" He was so close to punching his own best friend and he can't promise that he won't, depending on Kyungsoo's answer..

"No."

Jongin sighs loudly, relieved.

"But I like her." Kyungsoo continued.

"Does she know?" He asked in disbelief, running his hand through his hair. His best friend just admitted that he liked his wife. What the hell? What a dreadful turn of events!

"Not yet, and I'm telling you now so you won't come up with your own speculations and blame this on Eunji again like the stupid you are. Can you just divorce her? You never liked her anyway." He said.

"And if I won't?" Alas, Kyungsoo was really pushing him.

Kyungsoo just shrugged his shoulders in reply. Yeah. What if Jongin won't? There's nothing he can do about that.

"What if Eunji will?" Kyungsoo asked back and smirked.

That's it! Before he could hold back anymore, he grabbed Kyungsoo by his shirt's collar, making the latter stand up and in the next seconds his knuckles already met Kyungsoo's face. Kyungsoo didn't even try to dodge or fight back.

Jongin reached for the door, "No one's getting a divorce just so you know. You should reflect on what you said and stop liking someone else's wife." He said in anger and left without saying another word. He can't believe he just punched Kyungsoo! He can't believe his friend liked Eunji!

He's driving back home and he's fuming with anger. So his best friend just confessed to him that he liked his wife and asked him to divorce her for him. Does that even make sense? Kyungsoo was never the type to joke around and he's not also the type who easily falls for someone.

And if he doesn't divorce her then Eunji will? What does he mean by that? Was Eunji already thinking of divorcing him? Did Eunji told Kyungsoo that?

He knew he hasn't been the best husband to her since they got married and under the circumstance of their marriage, divorce has never come across his mind. He always wanted his freedom back but thinking about divorce doesn't sit well for him though. If that would be the case then he shouldn't have married her in the first place.

Sure he didn't love Eunji to it's true sense but that doesn't mean he didn't care for her the least. She's always been there for him and he's just so used to her being there. She's the one who cheers him the loudest on his dance competitions and soccer plays. She's been there even if he barely acknowledged her. And it would be strange if she wasn't there. How could Kyungsoo ask him to hand Eunji over? Of all people, he should know better. She's his. Only his.

Surprisingly he reached home alive. He ran up to Eunji's room but it was still empty. He took his phone from his pocket to call Chanyeol again but to his dismay his phone's battery was already drained. Damn. What a series of unfortunate events?!

 

~~~

Eunji went up quietly to her room to get a blanket for Jongin. Her husband was sleeping on their sofa in the living room when she arrived and the lights were still on too. She didn't know why Jongin slept on the couch.

It's past two in the morning and she can't believe her car broke down again when she was on her way home. It took her a while to get some help 'cause her phone was dead so she needed to walk to the nearest convenient store which was too far away to call someone to pick up her car. This was the third time that her car broke considering that she just got it back from the casa. She really needs to get a new one.

She went back with a thick blanket for Jongin and gently placed it on her husband's body. His position looked uncomfortable. He's actually half sitting and half lying on his side. His head barely reached the arm rest. He will definitely have a sore body next morning. Should she just wake him up? But she's been avoiding him lately. She can't afford another fight with him now.

She didn't realize how long she was staring at his handsome face. He looked tired but still handsome. She wanted to stare more cause this is the only time that she can do that this close without any glare or resistance from him. Funny, she smiled at the thought.

He was so angry last time. Okay, so maybe she's asking for too much too soon. So she decided to just let him be for the mean time. It hurts to know how awful Jongin felt for her but she can't really blame him. She was being selfish and didn't think how Jongin felt. 

Honestly, she's tired of it all too, she's tired of waiting of her long awaited happily ever after, but she can't just give up on Jongin. She'll just need to give him more time.

She took a deep breath and didn't realize that she already leaned down a bit to touch his face gently.

She got startled when Jongin slowly opened his eyes and squinted when he realized who was touching him.

She quickly removed her hand and stepped backwards.

"Sorry, I was just, uhm, about to wake you. It's uncomfortable to sleep here... so yeah, I'll head up now too..." She quickly said and turned around to leave but Jongin was fast and before she could even make three steps away he already grabbed her arm and turned her to him again.

"Hey, that's okay. I was really waiting for you." He said in a hoarse voice. "Where have you been? It's already late?" He can't help but ask.

"Oh. I went to see Chanyeol's gig. Sorry, if you waited."

She looked up to him with wide eyes. Why would he wait for her? Is he going to tell her he got back with Krystal already? Is he going to ask her for a divorce? If he's been with Krystal and even stayed at her place like what she heard yesterday then this must be it right? 

Oh God. She felt cold all of a sudden.

She felt her knees getting weak so she sat on the couch. Jongin sat close next to her, facing her. Too close for comfort actually. "Uhm, you said you waited, did you have something to talk about?"

"Yes. First off, I would just like to apologize about last time. I know I went overboard. " He started. He looked at Eunji intently but she just looked blank.

"Oh." She just uttered.

"Yeah. Uhm. I'm sorry. I've been an idiot lately. It won't happen again. I hope you stop avoiding me anymore and if...if we can maybe try what you said last time about working things out 'cause we're married now and might as well try to you know... "

Eunji just stared back at him with confusion written all over her face. "Come again?" Maybe she's hearing things.

"I mean I know I've been a real jerk since we got married and I won't justify myself anymore, especially what I did last time, it was wrong and if maybe we could try your suggestion to try to work things out, I'd really appreciate it. " He tried again.

Eunji took a deep breath and tried to digest what Jongin just said. Was she dreaming? He may not say that he liked her or loved her but she heard him say that he wants to try and work things out with her now? That's what he said right? Or that's what she understood.

"So this isn't about Krystal then?" She blurted and gave him a confused look. She needed to make sure.

Jongin just chuckled and he can't help but gently pinches Eunji's cute nose. She's cute with her confused look and her dimples at the upper part of her cheeks that he just saw now when she squinted her eyes. Did Kyungsoo see her dimples too? Did he fall for her with this? 

She looked more startled at his gesture.

"Oh. Sorry. " He said suddenly.

"Oh no. That's okay. I was just surprised but you can touch me, I mean pinch my nose or cheeks... " She said and smiled awkwardly.

Jongin chuckled more and amused by her cuteness. Too much cuteness. Why didn't he see this before?

"Okay. So yeah. I think I know what you meant with Krystal. That day when the guys were here, I left early from practice 'cause I went to Krystal's place. I borrowed some cd's for the newbies dance, she said she has new remixes that will fit the dance club rather than the cheering squad. When I went back to the practice room Lay already left, I didn't know he went here. And I wasn't able to answer your calls cause I forgot my phone at her place but there's nothing going between us, we're ju6 friends." He explained. He smiled when he saw Eunji's face enlightened too. 

"Oh." She muttered again. So that's what it was. She was relieved that she didn't realize she let out a deep breath again.

"But, why were you home so late? " He asked when he suddenly remembered, he already fell asleep waiting.

"Ah yeah, like I said I was with Chanyeol and…"

Jongin felt weird when he saw her blush when she mentioned Chanyeol's name. Oh no he didn't... Chanyeol too?! He can't help but feel suspicious with his friends now that Kyungsoo just confessed to him.

"...my car broke again on my way home and my phone's dead so I had to walk far to get help." She explained and let out a yawn.

"I see. If that's the case we need to get you a new one. We can't afford you being stuck somewhere in the middle of the night again. And please call me whenever something happens. We can use my car until we get you a new one."

She just nodded in agreement. That's what she's planning anyway.

"Let's go to sleep now." He finally said. She must be tired then if she walked far. He stood up and took Eunji's hand to help her up and walked her up to her room.

"Aren't you going to sleep yet?" Eunji asked, they're both standing by the door.

"I am. Can I sleep here?" He asked.He knew it's silly to ask since this was supposed to be their room. But he didn't want to impose since they've been technically using different rooms since.

He saw her hesitate but smiled at him.

"I guess so." She just simply said.

"Don't worry I'm not gonna do anything that you don't like." He assured.

He really can't remember anything that night and if he's going to touch her again it would be when they're already comfortable with each other, unlike now that she looked so hesitant just sleeping beside him and he must have scared her last time when he even ripped her clothes. How stupid can he get?

He just decided to give them a try. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad at all. He's already used to her presence anyway. They may be need to try harder for him to at least make this work. Maybe she was right that she's the one for him. Maybe he should learn to appreciate her before someone else takes her away from him. 

He was really worried or maybe a little scared when he imagined Eunji with Kyungsoo happily. His friend was a good guy and he'll make a perfect boyfriend for any girl but not for Eunji, she's his. Wait, why was he scared? 

Maybe he should tell Eunji not to meet Kyungsoo anymore. But what if Eunji asked why? He can't tell her that Kyungsoo liked her 'cause if she knew, what if she realized that Kyungsoo was better than him for her? They're already close as it is. Kyungsoo was even closer to her than him. What if she chose Kyungsoo over him and divorce him? Is that what Kyungsoo meant earlier? No, he can't tell Eunji that Kyungsoo likes her. He just probably need to deal with it when he sees her with Kyungsoo or he can do something to avoid the two from seeing each other. Right. That's what he'll do.

He felt like laughing to himself with the things going on in his mind. Kyungsoo just threatened him to steal Eunji from him and he just can't let him do that. Why was he worked up about this again? He didn't like Eunji so why can't he just give in to Kyungsoo? He'll make Eunji happy and he'll be free again, right? That's good right? Oh no. He can't give someone that's his. Damn right. What's his will always be his. Right.

Jongin fell asleep while battling with himself about Eunji and Kyungsoo. He didn't realize he unconsciously reached for Eunji in his sleep and held her tight.