Nine - The Fall

Chasing Pavements

 

Finals' over and soon enough the semester was about to too. He's just so excited to attend the school's festival this year. 

He was just so proud of their dance club's participants this year, when he watched the auditions he was more than pleased with the various types of dance techniques that the newbies showed. If he wasn't taking up engineering he would have enrolled to a dance school. But, since his family owns a construction company it was expected that he would take up something related to that, besides that he loves his course too. 

Eunji was so busy for the past week because of this coming festival and Jongin was annoyed that she spent more time with Kyungsoo and Chanyeol these days, and the latter was being extra with Eunji. Also, whenever Eunji visits their dance rehearsal, Lay was being weird too, like how he runs off first to greet Eunji. Jongin wasn't sure if that was the norms in their friendship and he's only seeing it now that he's actually paying attention to her or he's just being paranoid since that time when Kyungsoo said he liked Eunji. It's as if his three friends were her unofficial boyfriends or something.

It was a week ago when he decided to secretly follow Kyungsoo and Eunji to their so called project together. To his surprise it was a cooking class that the two were busy about all this time, that's probably why Eunji was good at cooking now, the cooking club will  be providing the food for the festivals' organizers and staff so they're so busy too. 

"Idiot. You're stalking us now? How pathetic!" Kyungsoo snapped at Jongin when he saw him following them to the cooking class. His friend was too noticeable! Good thing Eunji went to the restroom before she could see Jongin snooping around like a creep.

"What? I was just looking out for her. I wouldn't know if you're taking advantage of her!" He said mindlessly.

"You're becoming a real idiot. Do you think I'm stupid enough to do that and scare her away? Get the hell out of here before she finds out you're spying on her like a creep." He snorted.

"Why is she hiding this from me?" Jongin asked innocently.

"Ask her yourself." He said and walked back in the room. 

And just that he quickly went back to the engineering building, he was already late for his class. He was somewhat relieved that it was just that and that Kyungsoo won't do anything stupid too, well he knows that but… what the hell was he even thinking?

However, after he got a little relieved with Kyungsoo he got more worried about his other best friend Chanyeol who was also spending so much time with Eunji too, Jongin thought he's not imagining things. Well he's a guy too! Chanyeol's band will be performing at the festival too and asked Eunji to always join them at their practice at the university. What's up with that? What does Eunji have to do with that? Is she their manager or something? He's always pouting whenever his wife was around and Eunji seemed to like that side of Chanyeol too that made Jongin cringe, well Chanyeol was even taller than him but he acts like a toddler most especially if Eunji was there and he thought that it was dumb. 

And at this rate he wouldn't be surprised if Lay liked Eunji too. Well, Lay always speaks fondly of Eunji ever since like she's some kind of a perfect ideal type for the guy. He always praises her drawings and how good she was in soccer for a girl, how their soccer uniform looked good on her, he dotes on her like a proud boyfriend. And Jongin thought that Lay was building up Eunji to him but now he realized he could be downright wrong. 

Why didn't he notice all this before? 

Kyungsoo was right, he's an idiot.

What just happened with his friends? Were they all smitten by his wife? Come to think of it, since middle school when they got close to Eunji they all have been with her whenever or wherever, all those times that he wasn't, when he was too busy with dance and dating and just whatever, his friends were busy too with Eunji. Each of them was preoccupied by her. Or is it the other way around? 

He now also regrets those times that he left Eunji to his friends cause she couldn't just leave them now even for him. Eunji always says she needs Kyungsoo's help at something or Lay needs her help with something and or Chanyeol wants her to go with him at some place and she wouldn't say no to them.

He wonders now if she was really following him around before or she just happened to be there because his friends were there too. Maybe at first it was because of him but thinking about this all now. He realized that she was actually always there for them too, not just for him.

He can't help but feel jealous towards his friends now 'cause they have a real bonding with her cause with him aside from being married to her he doesn't have any, they weren't even friends beforehand. 

He felt more pressured to get Eunji's attention now more than ever but he can only get to her when they get home and both of them are dead tired. He's just thankful that he gets to snuggle with her every night though. 

"I wonder if you really liked me.. " He blurted. They're already on their bed and about to sleep. Their arms are wrapped on each other's bodies.

"Hmm? What?" She just chuckled.

"Cause you're always with my friends."

"Our friends Jongin." She corrected. "Are you being jealous right now?" She asked.

"Nope, but you spend more time with them than with me." He said while softly placing a tender kiss on her hair. He wasn't jealous, why would he be? Isn't it just normal for Eunji to spend time with him more than their friends? He's her husband. Right. 

"That's being jealous right there Mr. Kim but I wasn't. I spent the entire day with everyone including you but I only spend the evening with you only." she said and held him close.

"Fair enough. I hope this semester ends already so we can spend all day and night together then." He said and kissed her lips gently. As he promised to himself last time, he kisses her more often than necessary now. She was just so addicting. It's just that sometimes when he's lost it and his hands wandered around her soft body for some reasons Eunji moved away from him discreetly. 

"I'd love that too." She said, kissing him back and snuggled closer.

~~~

Last class day for the semester. It's the school's festival. The entire university was so busy. He barely saw Eunji that morning after they parted ways at the parking area.

He just went on his way and double checked the program sequence for later. The program will be held at the soccer field open area. The stage was set up at the center of the field and the booths are in every corner down the bleachers. People can choose to watch the mini concert sitting on the bleachers or just standing around the stage. 

After he checked with Lay with their dance contestants they headed to practice for their own performance. It was four in the afternoon when the program started. The special participations will be after all the competitions.

It was the start of the dance contest when he saw Eunji walking towards the judges table area where he was sitting along with the other judges. He smiled widely seeing her, he noticed that she changed her clothes from her jeans and shirt to a floral thin-strapped dress that barely reached her knees and her white dr. martens boots. Her long straight hair bouncing beautifully with the wind as she half walks and half runs to him. She looked casually stunning!

Jongin didn't realize that Eunji was already in front of him and he was just day-dreaming about her. Strange. He hasn't done anything like that before, not even with Krystal being his longest girlfriend back then. Krystal was just perfect and he knew what she'll wear or do in situations and that he just realized that it was so perfect that it bore him.

With Eunji it was different. He liked having conversations with her cause he's always looking forward to her witty remarks, comments and views with just about everything. And sometimes he wonders what runs through that mind of hers. She's someone that will draw you in when you get to know her deeper, she's also like a breath of fresh air. She's not only pretty but he thought so much more than that and he can't help but fall. Fall. Is he already in love with his wife?

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Eunji said blushing. Jongin's intense stare was making her knees go weak.

Jongin stood up from his seat and grabbed Eunji on the waist and leaned down to kiss her deeply. He felt Eunji's arms on his nape like she was holding on for strength and he held her tighter without breaking the kiss.

He heard someone clear a throat and slowly let go of Eunji's lips but still holding onto her tightly. He chuckled when he saw Lay and the other people around where shamelessly staring at them. He didn't care, at least everyone knows Eunji's his.

He looked down to his wife who's still blushing and her reddish or pinkish swollen lips are somewhat like inviting him for another kiss but he held himself. He placed his arm around Eunji's shoulder and smiled at her, she smiled at him shyly though and she's just so cute.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your lovey-dovey session right there but Jongin everyone was staring and the contest was about to start so please control your 'teenage' hormones." Lay jokingly said and went off.

He just smiled looking at his friends back going somewhere. "So, I'm glad to see you after all this time?" He said to Eunji.

"Yeah. Well I didn't know you could miss me that much." She said chuckling. 

"Yeah. I didn't know too until now." He admitted and saw Eunji's cheeks turning red again.

"Oh. I will need to make you miss me more often then." She said cheekily.

"Don't tempt me wife or you'll regret it." He just said and pecked her blushing cheeks. "The contest is about to start so please stay away before I do something stupid like running back home with you." He joked. Well that was half true.

"Oh. Silly. Okay. I'll just be around. I'll watch the contest at the bleachers with Lay then." She said and walked to Lay's direction at the bleachers.

He just sighed looking at his wife walking towards Lay not too far away. 

He settled himself back to his seat like nothing happened. Did he really consider running back home with Eunji right now would be more interesting than the contest that they prepared for months? He's really going crazy now! He's ditching dance for Eunji? Oh well, he can't kiss his dance members, can he? He shook his head and tried to focus with the contest as the emcee started to talk up stage. Not realizing he was still smiling to himself.

~~~

It was the last part of the program where the people were surrounding the stage because it's Jongin and Lay's dance coming up. Chanyeol's performance will be next and will be ending the program. It's already evening and she went up front the stage, standing next to Kyungsoo.

She held her breath when the music started to blast and she saw Jongin in his skinny black ripped jeans and black long sleeves shirt with silver details on the collar and cuffs. He was so y. Lay was wearing the same thing and he looked hot too but of course she thought Jongin was the hottest.

She felt like she was hypnotized with every move that Jongin made as he danced. He was looking at her all the time while dancing like it was for her only. His every smirk and intense look was just for her as if he's teasing her. This was the first time that she saw Jongin danced like this, whenever he dance on stage before and she was there to watch him, Jongin never noticed her, she didn't even know if Jongin was even aware that she was there but now, she's pretty sure and confident that Jongin was doing a special performance for her. She couldn't even open to shout and cheer like everyone's doing but she just stared at him in awe.

It was the fireworks that brought her back to earth from Jongin's world. The dance has ended, she saw Jongin going to the closed tent for the participants near the stage to change probably. 

After a few minutes Jongin was back with Lay. He just changed into a white tshirt but still wearing the same sinfully y denim.

"That was amazing!" she exclaimed at Jongin and Lay.

"Thanks. You didn't cheer for us though." Jongin said. He intentionally during the whole performance and she just stood there frozen when she used to cheer him the loudest.

"I was. Silently. Don't dance like that again, it was too salacious." She said smiling. Jongin grabbed her hand to clasped it with his.

"Salacious? Haha! Your choice of words sometimes…. y you mean? And that was the plan. You seemed to enjoy that though.' He teased. He moved to give her a back hug. Their hands still intertwined. 

She leaned to his chest and felt comfortable as always.

"Whatever. " She snapped.

She looked at Kyungsoo and Lay instead who were talking about something. She smiled inside. The two are not avoiding each other anymore even though they don't talk much. Children.

She's just too happy that everything is starting to fall into place. Jongin has been attentive to her. For the longest time that was her dream, to hold a proper conversation with Jongin. She used to wonder how it would feel like to be with him, to be in a relationship with him, and he didn't disappoint her, he's everything she ever dreamed of.

She liked the attention that he's giving her and she just wished that this happiness will remain. 

She's starting to get used to a husband-type Jongin and she loves the idea, even more so the reality of it.

One time when she was cooking at home he just suddenly hugged her from the back and they started making out that she forgot about the fish that she's frying, they ended up eating a slightly burnt fish that night. 

He's always there in their study too, disturbing her when she's studying. 

And when they were about to sleep, one time she accidentally wore one of Jongin's sweatshirt, he adamantly told her not to wear any other guy's shirt ever, he even specifically told her not to wear Kyungsoo's shirt anymore and he told her that it was just one time. Was he jealous of Kyungsoo? That was rather cute but Jongin doesn't really have a reason to be.

Well she noticed too that Jongin was very possessive and childish. He also loved watching spongebob and even mimicked the characters and made her laugh with that. When at school he was the cool guy but when he's at home he's just a simple guy and a husband to her. Also he sleeps alot and he's not going to wake up if you're just going to simply nudge him, but now she already found a way to wake him up right away, she kissed him and bit his upper lip cause Jongin likes it a lot and that's the only time that she gets his full attention then she jumped off the bed and run off around the house, thus, a childish chase insue.

But  there's still something that's bothering her, she wants to come clean to Jongin about it once and for all but she's still being a coward and selfish because she wants to enjoy this side of Jongin that she never experienced before. She'll soon confess, she's just not sure how soon that will be. She's just hoping that Jongin will not hate her again if he finds out the truth.

When Chanyeol's band was already set up. It was the last performance for the night.

"Thank you everyone for staying! This song is dedicated to someone very special to me. I hope this person finds the true happiness that she deserved. Enjoy everyone! " Chanyeol said and the band started playing after that.

His three friends looked at each other in surprise as the crowd went for a wild cheer after Chanyeol's short speech. They didn't know Chanyeol was into someone these days. Well, everyone was busy since their senior year started and it was only Jongin who's in a relationship among the four of them.

The song was rather sad and unique. It was called Creep.

Eunji just shrugged her shoulders at the guys who looked at her with a questioning face, like telling her she was with him a lot and you didn't know? She just ignored them. 

Was it her that he's referring to? She's not sure either and she's not sure what to feel if that was the case. 

Chanyeol's deep voice was soothing when he sang the song, it matches the song well. He particularly gazed at her direction from time to time and it made her feel that the song was really for her. She just wished that he refrained from looking at her cause Jongin was just on her back and she felt like Jongin's hold became tighter whenever. 

Does Jongin know that Chanyeol liked her? She just hoped he doesn't 'cause that would be terribly awkward! She still can't believe that Chanyeol really confessed to her, however just like what they agreed upon on their friendship was still the same and they didn't bring up that topic again. She still feels bad for him though and she can't do anything about it.

 

Whatever makes you happy

Whatever you want

You're so in' special

I wish I was special

 

That sad song has ended. His band sang two more songs to her relief were rock songs and wrapped it up.

~~~

After the program ended they decided to head on to a club to celebrate. It's the end of the semester she knew the guys had different plans for the sem break. Lay was going home to China, Kyungsoo was going to do a summer class and Chanyeol will have a summer tour gig with his band. More or less they will see each other probably a week before the next semester starts. 

She and Jongin still don't have a place to go for their honeymoon. That dreaded day. She was thinking if they could do that in some remote island so that Jongin wouldn't be able to leave her just like that if he found out the truth. But that's going to be silly, the remote island that is.

As the night went by the guys were all a little tipsy. She didn't drink though. She knew Jongin wasn't a good drinker. The only person who was good at holding his alcohol was Chanyeol.

Lay was already on the dance floor and Chanyeol too, dancing like crazy and being surrounded by those girls with skin tight dresses. She was left with Jongin and Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was still sober though but Jongin was already leaning on her shoulders.

She excused herself to go to the restroom and when she went back Jongin wasn't on their table anymore. Kyungsoo was pointing with his eyes to Lay and Chanyeol's direction at the dance floor. 

Jongin was indeed with the two dancing their heart out to the very loud music, surrounded by girls. A lot of girls, so lot that's already giving her a headache.

She just watched them dancing there from their table, to give the guys a benefit of the doubt, they were dancing with each other to the point that it looked comical, it's just that those girls were trying to cut in with three which was a funny too 'cause the guys just started to playfully grinding and slapping each other that the girls were starting to distance themselves.

"Aren't you gonna join them?" Eunji asked Kyungsoo. He actually looked sleepy already. He must be tired with all the things that they did for the festival. So was she.

"I'm tired and besides the show was enjoyable and oh look at that Jongin has a company." He said and that caught Eunji's attention too. 

They both stared at the dance floor and saw that there was another person who joined the three guys. Krystal. She was dancing with them, or dancing with Jongin? The music was an upbeat one so why does she have to get that close to her Jongin and even placed her hands on his shoulders occasionally? Oh no she didn't! Now that's not fun anymore!

Before she could think she stood up and marched to their direction. She felt a little enraged as she made her way through a number of sweaty bodies but she finally made it to her husband. 

Jongin already saw her a few feet away and he extended his hand to her. He pulled her closer through the crowd and she landed at his body, he then held her through the waist. Krystal just moved back a little as Jongin gave space for Eunji.

"Hey wife, jealous?" He said in a loud voice since the sound system was too loud anyway. It was so obvious that Eunji was flaring with jealousy. 

"I am." She yelled back and glared at Krystal who started to walk away from them. That girl! She knew Jongin was already married right? What's up with her?!

Jongin held her to his chest and started dancing like the music was a slow one.

"I thought you're not the jealous type." He teased. Well, she's seen him dating a couple times before but he never really saw her throw a fit. Except those very few times after they're married. "But, there's really no reason to be. Let's dance." He said and placed a kiss on top of her head.

She just chuckled and wrapped her arms around his neck, and as if on cue, a slow love song went on...

"If there's someone who should be jealous, that should be me, especially when it seems like some guys want to steal my wife away from me…" Jongin whispering in her ear this time.

Eunji looked up to him in a brief moment, meeting his hazy eyes upon her and a hand caressing her back, she knew he's the most attractive person she's ever laid eyes on and she's in love with him for the longest time, that moment sealed it even more that she's hopelessly and truly in love with him.

"I'm not sure about that but I only have eyes for you and will continue to have so… and I'm truly in love with you." She whispered back before leaning up to kiss his lips that she can only dream of before…

Jongin returned her kiss more savagely, almost forgetting they're still at the bar. He stopped kissing her only to kiss her again after a second briefly. "Let's go home."