Deliberately

Chasing Pavements

 

"Who's this?" She asked, picking up the call on the second ring. The number was not listed on her phonebook. She's damn tired after all the meetings and an urgent matter she has to deal with at one of the construction sites since Yifan was on the other side of the city for his own meetings too.

 

"I thought I said we're having dinner?" He asked back. He's been calling her and she just picked up after five missed calls. He's already at the restaurant waiting. We'll, he waited for seven years, what's a few more hours added to that?

 

"Ah. Mr. Kim." She totally forgot about him. She missed several calls and maybe some was from him.

 

"I'm glad you still remember my voice."

 

'Well I didn't go amnesiac, did I?' She almost blurted. She sighed and remembered how she still needs him for that certain project. 

 

"Sorry I got caught up in the field. Would you like to reschedule? It's a little late for dinner." She said instead.

 

Jongin somehow didn't like the tone she's using since earlier, she's talking to him as if he's just one of her clients. This new air of Eunji is somewhat new and exciting. "No, I'm fine tonight. I'll text you the address. See you." He said and hung up. He might sound a little tyrant there but he's not settling for a reschedule. 

 

Rude. Eunji can't believe he just hung up on her. What is he, her boss now? 

 

She drove to some Italian restaurant after Jongin texted her the address. Fancy. She's not really up to some Italian dish but that'd do because she's also hungry to be honest.

 

She walked towards Jongin's table the moment she arrived, his back facing her. He was sitting properly there like a good boy. Eunji can't help but smile, only Jongin's not a boy anymore. His broad shoulders show so, was it that broad before? Oh well, she can barely remember.

 

She stopped and settled across his seat on the table and she can see how his face lit up when he saw her or maybe she's just imagining things 'cause after she blinked he looked like he's pissed off or something.

 

"Good evening." She said.

 

"What happened? It's not safe to stay late on site, accidents could happen…" Jongin abruptly said with concern.

 

She gave him a dumb look. "I know. Aside from that, I totally forgot about this dinner and I left my phone in the car, that's why. If that's what you're going for." Since when did he beat around the bush like this?

 

Jongin just sighed. Is this the real Eunji? What happened to his sweet Eunji back then? 

 

Looking at her now, the way she talks, she looks and her personality now is so much different from before. 

 

Her long locks were now cut short by the shoulders. The cute bangs are gone. She wears make-up now too, just enough to emphasize her already beautiful face. He can't really expect her to be the same as she was seven years ago but maybe he's trying to find the old Eunji in her now that he used to know. It's almost like she's a different person.

 

"Too honest now are we?" He comments and Eunji looked up to him a little as she browsed the menu.

 

"Not really." Did she hear a mock from him? Childish. "I just don't like the run around Mr. Kim." 

 

She quickly gave her order to the waiting waiter, Jongin followed suit.

 

"Also, I'd appreciate if we can make this meeting quick because I still have a prior engagement." She's meeting Yifan at her apartment later, which she almost forgot, too.

 

"You meet clients this late?"

 

Eunji sipped from her glass of water before answering. "As needed like yourself. But yeah, let's get to the point of this meeting, shall we?

 

Jongin's not sure if he wants to get mad or what with that first sentence. "This is not a business meeting Eunji." He sternly said.

 

"Then what? We can't call this a dinner date, can we?" Ah, she's losing it if Jongin keeps on pushing her like this. Wait, he didn't do anything yet. She took a deep breath before speaking again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude." She sincerely said and Jongin just gave her an understanding nod. "I guess I'm just a little tired today. I'd really appreciate if we can make this quick."

 

"I understand. I'm sorry 'cause couldn't afford to reschedule. But I remember I  clearly said earlier that we'll do the project, didn't I?" He smiled. "And since you didn't like the run around, I'll get straight to the point, I want you to come back to me."

 

Eunji was stunned for a moment there. She's trying to process what he just said and took another sip of water. Damn, she sure heard him right but what he said doesn't feel right.

 

She glanced at him and saw him staring intently back at her with all seriousness written on his face. She noticed his chiseled jaw and it looks more prominent now too. She blinked hard to shake away the thought 'cause it's not the right damn time to admire his face with the situation she's in.

 

"You want me to come back to you?" She repeated, just to be sure, is there any other meaning to the words 'come back' that she didn't know of? Because she doesn't have any relationship to fall back to with him, aside from being his wife? Which sounded wrong. Didn't he clearly say before that he wants her out of his life? Is she getting some wrong signals here? Is he playing her?

 

"Look, Mr. Kim," She started. Damn. She actually has lots to say now that he's open the can of worms. But she doesn't know where to begin. She sighed. "Look, I can't understand what you're trying to do right now but I was pretty sure I already sent the divorce papers years ago, all you had to do was sign it and submit it, unless you didn't. And for a fact, we didn't have any relationship aside from that fake one that we had that you adamantly wanted to get out from. So if you could be more specific with that come back that you're talking about would be nice." Oh, he's starting to really get on her nerves.

 

Jongin just smiled at her. He's glad she's still feisty with their previous arrangement. He was a dumb jerk, he knew that. Hearing what she just said makes his heart hurt a little too. If only he didn't want her so bad then he wouldn't have the face to show her.

 

"I'm implying that we get back together like the married couple that we are." He simply said, showing her his hand with their wedding band on it. "Divorce? Not happening. Fake relationship? Yeah, maybe, sure you could say that in the beginning. And Eunji, will please stop calling me Mr. Kim like I'm one of your clients?!"

 

"And will you please stop addressing me with such familiarity!" How could he just casually call her name like that? "We're practically strangers now…" 

 

Eunji scoffed. She didn't realize her past was really that complicated that it's still haunting her 'til now. "Wow. I don't know what to say…" She's left speechless.

 

All of a sudden her hunger was gone. Her fatigue was gone. Irritation replaced all of those. She's ing pissed off and she can't believe she'd feel that towards Jongin of all people!

 

She left because that's what he wants in the first place. Now he wants her back? He must be crazy! If this was seven years ago, she'd probably run to him in a heartbeat but it's different now. She believed she already paid the price for her mistakes and even gave him his freedom back. What more does he want from her now, 'cause she surely has nothing to give anymore. He's made her worked up for something absurd.

 

"You can say that you'll get back with me." If he can't have the old Eunji back then he'll have this new version of her wholeheartedly. He'll do what it takes to have her back and he's not wasting anymore time than he already did for waiting.

 

He almost flew to China back then when he received the divorce papers six years ago. He waited for her to be ready to come back to him but all he got were those stupid divorce papers! 

 

It was his fault why she left, alright. He's going to make sure she'll stay for good this time.

 

"And if I won't?"

 

He smirked. "I'll make sure you will."

 

She just nodded. "I see. My answer is no, I'm not interested. And, I think I'm running late for my other engagement. Sorry but I have to go." She said nonchalantly and left.

 

"Ah, she's hot when leaves like that." He smiled to himself. He likes this new Eunji too. A lot.

 

She totally looked uninterested with him now especially when she rejected him like it's no big deal, that hurts, was that supposed to be a challenge? 'Cause he'd bet his life on it. He'll make her fall in love with her again, this time deliberately.


 

~~~

 

She's not sure what he's up to when he said he wants her back. He can't say he's in love with her because their fake love story has died ages ago. Besides, if he really did love her, he knew where she was after she sent the divorce papers because she needs to as per her lawyer's instructions but she never received any reply back nor saw him at all. It was a long seven years and he didn't bother when he's the one who pushed her away and now he wants her back as if nothing happened? That just doesn't make sense. She's already doing so well without him and now he's trying to shake her world upside down again? And for what?

 

She arrived at her apartment feeling exhausted, more than the usual. She sent a text message to Yifan to reschedule their late dinner. They normally have late dinners, apparently that's a thing for them being both workaholics that they are.

 

She changed into her pyjamas after a quick warm shower. She'd normally prefer a bath but not at the moment, she's too tired even for that. She grabbed a bottle of pressed juice from the fridge and got disappointed that her fridge barely has real food to eat 'cause she's hungry and a nice soup and warm rice would be great! But she barely cooks so she doesn't stock up as much, well, she tried to learn to cook before but had to give up and she simply didn't have the time after she came to China.

 

Compared to her life back when she was still with Jongin, she likes her life now better. She felt free and independent. She didn't have to worry for someone else's preference. She's not a busybody for someone else but for herself now. 

 

It's truly bliss and liberating.

 

It wasn't easy at first, she fully understood that the first step will always be the hardest part. Going to another country, learning the culture, the language and more. Adapting to a new life. Her mother was very understanding. She explained why she chose to leave her life in Korea and her mother accepted and supported her all the way. She was so grateful.

 

Then there was Yifan, he didn't attend her wedding back then for some reason but when she first met him, she thought he's some kind of an arrogant brute but he's nothing like that. He's really like a brother to her. Helped her with anything he could ,spoiled her even.

 

She's so thankful to her family and she couldn't ask for more. She's not going to waste all her hard work, all their hard work just to get back with Jongin and be miserable again. She's done stupid things in the past she paid the price big time, so she can't let herself become that person again.

 

That moment when she decided to leave her pathetic life for good was the lowest point yet. She couldn't afford to go any lower than that.

 

She's moved on and happier now. She's content with how her life was going. She has a stable job that she's really good at and passionate about. She has a company to grow and grow with. Some new friends she earned along the way. And it's all nice and good.

 

Her feelings for Jongin, she still remembers them, they're all memories of the past she just can't erase, all of it. But she's over it. Seeing him again today was like seeing an old acquaintance. He was special, but not anymore. Right now, he's just any other businessman that she has to deal with. 

 

~~~

 

"You didn't tell me that Kim Jongin was your estranged husband." Yifan stormed to Eunji's office the next day just when she's about to leave for a meeting. 

 

"So how did you find out?" She smiled at him and stood up from her swivel chair, ignoring Yifan's little outburst. No matter how high her heels were, Yifan still towered her with his obnoxious height.

 

"He told me and he's in my office right now looking for you. Care to tell me what happened yesterday?" Yifan cocked an eyebrow when he saw her not flinching a bit. She's so damned good at feigning innocence at this kind of situation and he hated it. 

 

Of all people, he's the one who knew how miserable Eunji was because of her forsaken ex-husband.

 

So when Jongin just barged in his office a few minutes ago like he owns the place and told him he's looking for his wife it took him a lot of his will power not to punch the guy and throw him out of the window. The only thing restraining him from doing so was the contract that Jongin handed him that he's taking the project and wanted to discuss it.

 

"What?"

 

"You heard me." He deadpanned, waiting for her explanation.

 

Just when she thought a straight no that she gave him last night was enough to keep him at bay at least, she was wrong. The man didn't even waste a day. What the hell was his deal now? How troublesome.

 

It's Friday and she loves Fridays, and the last thing she wanted was a furious Yifan in her office because of her ex. Well, technically they're not exes, damn, she doesn't know what to call them even!

 

"Well, he's the boss in Kim Builders. I didn't know until I got there yesterday. No big deal. As long as he takes the project, which he promised he would. Our problem was solved." She casually said.

 

"Is that why you called me about other options yesterday?" Yifan asked in disbelief, he even told Eunji to be a good girl. Had he only known better. He now regretted not prying enough about his sister's estranged husband before, he didn't even know the bastard's face until today.

 

"Yeah. But that's okay Yifan. He seemed to be impressed with the project. He's in your office right? I'll go talk to him." She said casually and relieved that Yifan somehow calmed down.

 

She walked past Yifan but he grabbed her arm to stop her. "What?" She asked and looked up to him, now he looked worried.

 

"Are you sure? You know, we can just drop the project so you don't have to accommodate him." He said in a low voice. 

 

"Are you crazy? Were not dropping the project. You know how much we needed this! I don't care who I work with but we're definitely not dropping this!" She said, glaring at Yifan..

 

"Alright. If you want me to just handle this project..." 

 

"No. You've got a full plate as it is. It's fine. I'll tell you if I need your help. Don't worry, okay?" She assured him.

 

Yifan gently pulled her close for a hug. Although he knew Eunji has definitely moved on he still can't help but worry because he's still her stupid first love nonetheless but seeing her reaction right now, it seems like he didn't need to worry anymore. Hopefully.

 

They were in that position when the door in her office opened wider. Apparently Yifan didn't close it when he came in minutes ago.

 

The two just stared back at Jongin standing by the open door, one hand on his pants pocket, looking like a boss that he is. Jongin looked stern with his deathly glare upon seeing Eunji and Yifan embracing each other like it's nothing. 

 

What the hell? Didn't he just tell Yifan that Eunji was his wife? Why the hell are they embracing now?

 

He was about to surprise her but why was he the one being surprised?

 

The two separated from each other but didn't look fazed at Jongin's presence. 

 

He already had tough competition with his friends before and now with this guy as well? Is he the reason why she wanted divorce? He thinks he's having a migraine early in the morning.

 

"Did I interrupt something?" Obviously this work place isn't all work at all.

 

"It's fine, you can come in, Mr. Kim. I'll leave you to Architect Jung for the project discussion then. I'll just be in my office." Yifan said coldly, he nodded at Eunji and walked back to his own office. His sister's husband was indeed an impatient man just like what Zitao said. 

 

Jongin just stared at Eunji, she looked more laid back with her pink button up shirt, tucked in her high waisted skinny jeans.

 

"I hope you're not here just to stare at me Mr. Kim 'cause I've got better things to do you see..." She snapped.

 

Jongin smiled dryly. "I hope it's better than anything that involves your boss."

 

Oh dear. He's getting on her nerves again. "I don't think I owe you any explanation about my affairs."

 

"Right." He scoffed. Affairs?!

 

"Also, I don't wanna be rude or anything but barging just like this isn't something that you can do here. I'm sure you know the protocol Mr. Kim. I have a meeting to attend to in a few minutes, we will set up a meeting with you next week and -"

 

"That's not necessary." Jongin sighed. "I already talked to Zitao about the project's contract yesterday and handed it to Mr. Wu. I'll be out of town and be back by Thursday. Don't worry, I already assigned someone in our company to assist you should you have any concerns while I'm away. I just simply need to drop by to see you before I leave this afternoon."

 

"I see. Thank you for taking on the project, I assure you it's worth it. For now, I really have to go. Please see yourself out and have a safe trip." She said and left after gathering her things for the meeting.

 

Jongin was left again for the third time in a row since yesterday. She walked out on him again and couldn't help but chuckle. Ah, she's become ruthlessly cooler than she already was. It would be nice if she'd ever so glanced back at him at least next time.

 

~~~

 

Thirty minutes later and Eunji came back to her office to find Jongin still there. She looked at him suspiciously and he simply smiled at him sweetly. Was he trying to annoy her or something?

 

"What are you still doing here? I thought you said you're leaving?" He asked, walking to her desk and dumping the documents and laptop on top. She settled on her swivel chair and watched him roam around her office. Her unorganized office, measuring tools, pens, some trace papers and blue prints were all scattered on her other work table, a total mess! Her two shelves on the right corner weren't even organized as she saw her books and magazines stacked just how she saw where it'll fit. Some more rolled trace papers and documents below that, Not to mention her one sofa with some more documents on it, Jongin barely has space to sit on and she even finds it funny. She really needs to organize one of these days.

 

"I said I'm leaving in the afternoon." He said casually and stood from his seat.

 

"Alright but you can't stay here to kill time. Some people are busy unlike yourself."

 

"I can see that." He agreed as he obviously roamed his eyes in her entire mess of an office. "You obviously have a lot going on here…" He snickered.

 

"Can you just please leave?" She sighed. Which part is it that he didn't understand that she wants him gone there?

 

 "C'mon don't be so heartless, wife."

 

Eunji snapped. "Don't call me that. And can we stop this game? I'm not interested in playing. Why are you doing this, really? I can still remember how we parted ways before, it wasn't pretty. And now you're here claiming me as your wife? I thought you hated the idea? If there's someone who's heartless here, that won't be me. I mean don't get me wrong Mr. Kim, because whatever we had was ages ago and I believe we're both past that old silly young self of ours." She stated, relatively calm.

 

"So, can we maybe settle this now like the adults that we are? I'll initiate the divorce process again. I'm hoping for your full cooperation this time." She continued.

 

Eunji walked towards Jongin who's standing by one of the shelves now, Eunji's not even sure if he was fully listening. 

 

He walked towards her desk and picked up the picture frame of Eunji and Yifan that was taken when they were in China, it was at the Great Wall of China and Yifan was carrying her on his back and they were looking very happy to Jongin's annoyance.

 

Jongin held the photo frame to her with a sad face. "Is Yifan your boyfriend?" He asked in a low voice. He couldn't help but feel jealous. 

 

"That's none of your business. Did you hear what I just said?" She repeated in an irritated voice. Ah, he never listens, she remembered how she begged for him to listen a long while ago but he just turned his back on her, the thought irritated her.

 

Jongin walked towards Eunji who's now standing impatiently by the door, it only took him four steps to get to her, her office wasn't particularly spacious specially with all the furniture and mess lying around. He saw her eyes grew bigger when he walked closer and leaned his left hand at the door and wrapped his other arm on her waist.

 

Eunji was shocked with what Jongin did and took a deep breath. She pushed him but he didn't even budge a little.

 

"What the hell are you doing?" She gasped as Jongin held her tighter as she tried to push him again to no avail. She's amazed that she still kept her composure being suddenly trapped like that by Jongin.

 

"You're the one who's not listening, I thought I made myself clear last night that we're not divorcing. I've given you more than enough time alone that I never should 'cause I never thought you'd stray sway from like this. And yes, I'm claiming you back so you better dispatch the other guys around because I never liked sharing what's mine." He said still not letting her go.

 

"Last time I checked you were the one who has another girl in your arms." She said sarcastically, damn she sounded like a jealous wife with what she said. Eunji stopped struggling, it's useless anyway.

 

Jongin just stared at her  with confusion, he started to loosen his hold but still didn't let go.

 

"I never dated anyone after you left for your information." He said, better to get that straight with her. The last thing he wanted to happen was to add any more misunderstanding and complications to their already complicated relationship. 

 

It's true that he let the long seven years pass by without seeing her but that doesn't mean he didn't know her whereabouts at least, not the entirety but he's still been looking after her from time to time. Gave her a breather from an idiot like himself and let her enjoy a life she would choose for herself without his influence.

 

"Of course. Because you did that just even before I left." Ah, she should really shut up now.

 

Jongin just stared down at her intently and without saying a word Jongin closed the gap of her lips for a soft chaste kiss that only lasted for a few seconds, Eunji was left gaping, her hands on his grasping his suit's coat a little too tight, she stared back at him and noticed his triumphant smile. Still not letting her go all the while.

 

She took a deep breath and chuckled a little. She's beyond speechless.

 

"There's no need to be jealous. I'm faithfully yours." He said, gently tucking her hair on her left ear as he went down to kiss her left cheek ever so gently as well. "I know it's complicated and I know I've hurt you and I'm deeply sorry. I promise to explain everything when I get back, just give me a couple days. Huh?" He pleaded and slowly let her go as much as he didn't want to. He cupped her face with his two hands and kissed her forehead. "God, I miss you so much." He said breathing raggedly. "I have to go now. I'll see you real soon." He said and left, because if he didn't he might not ever let her go.


 

Eunji was left in a state where she's not sure if she was in a dream or what. And Jongin just left her hanging like that. He said he'll explain everything and what was that even about? 

 

That previous encounter left her restless after, does she still like him after all? After all her efforts to move on from him? Things were happening so fast for her to have time to comprehend Jongin's actions.

 

One of her main reasons why she came back was to settle everything with Jongin, and what she meant by that was divorce and not getting back together. 

 

Guess she'll have to wait for his promised explanation when he gets back. She promised to really get things clear next time. Their whatever kind of relationship has been dragging for so long and must be the right time to put an end to it.