Eight - Mine

Chasing Pavements

 

It was the weekend and Eunji was happy that Jongin was true to his words that he will try to work things out with her. He even helped her do the laundry and clean the house. He made lunch. She made dinner for them and he praised her cooking. 

Everything was just so perfect that she almost can't believe it. Whatever happened to him that made him change like this, she doesn't wanna know anymore. She's just so grateful.

"I can't believe this is really happening!" She exclaimed while watching Jongin settled his clothes on their shared closet. He's been transferring his things in their room.

Jongin just chuckled and looked at Eunji smiling at him cheekily while sitting on their bed and gazing at him. 

"What?" He asked.

"I'm just happy that you're moving here and you're not grumpy anymore." She said and wrinkled her nose.

Jongin just smiled. He likes how she's becoming more comfortable with him. He was worried that he's going too fast on her when he said he wants to permanently move in their shared bedroom. But then he also realized that she must be waiting for him to come around for the longest time.

He remembers how she randomly comes up to him before. She'd always praised everything about him like his shirt, his pants or shoes or just about anything. She'll him he looked good with his new hair style and she would run away like a beagle while giggling. Sometimes she even wore a similar jersey to his soccer uniform to cheer for him and Lay when they played during highschool and he didn't know where she got that...or maybe he knew. Lay. She cheers for him even if his team has lost. She brought them candies and pastries that he likes. She's basically done a lot of random things for him and he didn't mind it after a while. 

Even if he deliberately dumped her on their prom night,  he thought she would stop but after a week she's back chasing him again. Even if he dated other girls she's still there cheering for him louder than his girlfriend by then. He only wanted her date like a normal girl but she's unbelievably loyal to him like that.

"Was I really that grumpy?" He asked and sat next to her after he finished piling his clothes.

"Yes you were, and a snob." She said pouting.

"I'm sorry." He said and laid on his back, his head on her lap. 

"That's fine. As long as you're not anymore. Look, I understand where you're coming from and I'm really thankful that you're giving me a chance." She said sincerely.

"Eunji, I won't be grumpy anymore and I can't promise anything right now but I'll try to make this work okay?" He said.

"Fair enough and thank you. I'll do my best too to be the best wife!" She said smiling.

"So tell me, what do you like about me?" He asked 'cause he's really curious too. She's liked him for a long time and it's impossible that she wasn't turned off with something about him. "You said I was grumpy and a snob so why do you still like me?"

"I don't really know. I think I don't have any flashy reason why. Maybe it was a love at first sight? I don't know. Hah. I mean I've seen the good and the bad since I've been following you but even so nothing made me change my feelings. I guess you're my one true love." She said honestly. "I just can't say one thing that I liked about you cause I like everything about you. Even if you won't notice me or I would still try for you to notice me." She added and smiled again.

Jongin sat up and faced her. He saw the honesty in her and he smiled at her warm smile too. He realized that she has a pretty smile too, a sincere and contagious one.

"Say, are you really this honest to everyone?" Well that's what he noticed recently, she just seemed to say whatever was in her mind. 

Also, he realized that he barely knows her at all and that's unfair 'cause she seemed to know everything about him. 

Eunji just stared at him in wide eyes. She has those big doe eyes like Kyungsoo's. Come to think of it, she has more similarities to his friends than he has with her. That's maybe why his friends get along with her so well.

"What do you mean? I mean, I'm not always honest but I try to be.." She said. "Also, I guess I just want to avoid any more misunderstanding so I want to be as forward as I can be too. Ah. Am I talking too much again?"

Jongin just shook his head and smiled. "You're fine. I like that. Thank you for putting up with me all these time." Jongin's not really the sappy type but he thought he can be anything with her and won't have to be ashamed.

"You're welcome and thanks! Now you have one thing you liked about me." She chuckled and pecked him on his cheeks. She really wanted to do that since, and now that Jongin is opening up to her she wouldn't hold herself back to make him feel loved in every way she could.

~~~

Jongin has been going to the university with Eunji. They both decided to just get a new car for her after the semester ends since she doesn't have one in mind yet. She said that she'll have to think it over a lot. He didn't know she's that meticulous and practical. She said that getting a new car would be expensive so she needs to pick the most economical one since both of them don't have work yet. No wonder her second hand car gave up since she's been using it for years now. So they ended up sharing his car which Jongin didn't mind at all.

He actually enjoyed her company, surprisingly. Whenever she hums or  sings along with the car stereo and dances a little too, one thing he discovers about her is that she at dancing but she didn't seem to care so he just laughed at her candid moments. And yeah, she's so full of cuteness. 

Jongin noticed a lot of things about his wife. Her quirks and she really has those sassy moments. She's smart and he actually likes talking to her about a lot of things. He also learned how intellectual she is, the kind of where you'd love to talk to for hours about just anything and she'll have a good insight about. He likes discovering things about her and now he has more than one thing that he likes about her, that's for sure.

Finals will be next week so they're so busy studying. Eunji is on a scholarship program and she can't afford to fail a subject so he just left her be when she mostly stayed in the library with Lay. Sometimes Kyungsoo was with them that Jongin couldn't do anything 'cause his classes are mostly in the afternoon and he can't miss class just to guard his wife from his best friend, anyway Lay was there so he was relieved a little. Jongin's still not on speaking terms with Kyungsoo. The other guys were even asking why they have so much tension but no one dared to speak between the two of them.

That afternoon when he was on the way to his next class he found Kyungsoo and Eunji laughing with each other in the hallway just like the last time, felt like deja vu in Jongin's eyes and he felt his temples getting hot. Kyungsoo's arm was on Eunji's shoulder. He walked faster to get to the two who didn't seem to notice him again like last time.

He stopped a feet away and cleared his throat, the two glanced at him at last!

"Hey!" Eunji smiled and quickly ran up to him to kiss him on his cheeks. That has become her habit for a while now whenever they see each other anywhere, not that he's complaining but this time the kiss  landed on his lips when he intentionally turned to meet her lips that's supposed to be on his cheek. 

He grabbed her from the waist and pulled her up a little to kiss her more passionately. He didn't plan to deepen the kiss and it was supposed to be just a smack but he didn't know why but he can't seem to pull off from her soft and inviting lips, and oh boy she tasted like bubblegum! Cherry bubblegum to be exact. Why did he just kiss her like this now? He made a mental note to do this more often. 

After a few minutes Jongin felt Eunji's hand on his chest slightly pushing him from her and he did only to see her face beet red and her lips swollen already from his ravishing. She even took a deep breath like she was deprived from doing so. She quickly ran a swipe of her thumb on his lips, wiping the reddish lip tint that transferred to his lips and smiled.

He smiled too and felt like he wanted to kiss her again that instant but he heard Kyungsoo faked a cough. Oh right, Kyungsoo was there, when he almost made out with Eunji.

"Hey yourself, where are you going?" He said, not minding Kyungsoo at all. He should know by now that Eunji's just his.

"Ah yeah. We're uhm.. Remember the project that I was telling you about with Kyungsoo?" She stuttered. Well who wouldn't be if she just experienced her first real kiss? Well she tried her best to compose herself, she didn't want to end the kiss but she felt like she's losing oxygen already and oh well Kyungsoo was still there, it was unexpected and definitely surprising but who was she to complain? It was like the best thing that happened to her and Jongin yet!

Jongin just frowned as he's still a little suspicious with that damn project, but nodded anyway. He'll figure it out himself soon enough. "Yeah?"

"Well we're doing that in a bit so we actually have to go like now?" She said in a staggered voice. She looked at Kyungsoo who was just staring blankly at her. Has he been watching all the while? Oh darn.

"Do you really have to?" He probed. If he has no class he would definitely accompany Eunji just to be sure. He can't believe he's being like this with his own best friend. He knew Kyungsoo was an upright guy but still he just told him that he liked his wife! 

"Yes. So I'll see you later? I'll call you when we're done. Anyway, you still have a class too so go now before you get late." She said.

Jongin had no choice but to go and glared at Kyungsoo first before going on his way. The latter was just smirking at him and he hated it. He felt like Kyungsoo was giving him a subliminal message that he gets to spend time with Eunji and Jongin can't do anything about that. Is his best friend becoming his worst enemy now or he's just being delusional?

~~~

"What was that? So you guys are all out on PDA now? " Kyungsoo muttered as they walked to their cooking class. He looked at Eunji who was still flustered with what just happened. Jongin can really be a show off sometimes.

"I don't know. It was actually the first time he did that. I told you that we're trying to work things out right?" She said honestly. Was Jongin trying to level up their relationship now? Sure they're sleeping on the same bed but they haven't really sleep like sleep with each other. They always cuddle though and some chaste goodnight kisses that she always initiated but today Jongin just went far off from from their usual smack and peck on the cheeks. Whatever she's still happy!

"I see. Well I'm glad that my friend is starting to be a real husband to you now." He said smiling. He's just hoping that Jongin wasn't just doing that for a show or he'll really make sure to make a move with Eunji this time, for real.

"Yeah. Me too."

"So why didn't you tell him about the cooking course?" He asked.

"Well. I'll tell him soon. I just don't want him to think that I'm doing this just for him again because I actually enjoyed cooking now for real. Jongin said that I shouldn't do things because of him anymore, that I should also do things that I really like to do not because I want to impress him." She said. She appreciated it when Jongin told her that because it feels like he's really starting to care about her now. 

He also said that she should find new things that will interest her that that's not related to him and he will support her. She told him that all the things she does related to him was actually a coincidence, which was partly true, she really liked drawing and it was more practical for her to take Architecture than Fine Arts and she honestly loves Architecture now. She liked soccer too, well she liked watching it ever since and she thought that it was just her luck that Jongin liked it too and played when they were in highschool, plus she needed to do some write-ups for their school paper back then. She was even so eager to play and learn more with Lay before even if Jongin wasn't there. 

Also Jongin loves dancing the most and that's an evidenced that she's not doing what she does because of Jongin, she can't dance and she can't force herself into doing so, so she just supports him by cheering the loudest for him whenever he's on stage. 

That's what she does, she follows him around at school because she has the opportunity to do so, they're classmates to most of their subjects with the rest of the guys. She goes to Jongin's dance competitions and rehearsals or if he has soccer practice and all but she only does that when she has the time like if she has no club meetings or if she doesn't need to go to the library to study for an exam or project to finish first, and all her idle time.

Also, she just realized that she ended up doing that to the other guys too like when Chanyeol has a gig with his band or when Lay joins the poster making contest or dancing with Jongin which was most of the time and or whenever Kyungsoo joins the Quiz bee with her, they're both scholars since middle school so it was normal for them to participate to any school quiz bee competitions. And now she's learning cooking with Kyungsoo. 

She's always with the guys that even Bomi was jealous sometimes. So basically she lived her life to her liking, it wasn't just all about following Jongin around but it was just her luck to have the opportunity to do so because her interests were actually similar to his and their friends. It's like she's really meant to meet them all, thanks to Jongin. She could imagine how boring her life would have been if they were not in it.

Well maybe she must have gone overboard when she started to go to Jongin's house more frequently but to her defense, his mom also requested for her to come over more often that she can't decline, so was that a crime? 

"I see. I'm glad that he's coming to his senses." Kyungsoo just said.

"By the way, did you guys fight?" Eunji blurted. Deliberately changing the topic. She wanted to ask Kyungsoo too for a while now but she kept on forgetting.

"Why'd you say so?" Kyungsoo asked back. He actually felt like she's going to ask that anytime soon.

"Well, you obviously both are not on speaking terms, which is so unusual because you're the closest to him, if I may say. Also you got this bruise and a broken lip last time." She said as a matter of factly. 

Kyungsoo just chuckled at her, he thought, there's no way of denying. "Well yeah. I may have said something that he didn't like. But don't mind us. Just a friendly competition. We'll be fine." He just said.

"Really? So you guys hit each other around now just for something? You two are becoming childish. Just kiss and make up already okay?" She snapped. That's ridiculous to fight over something. What kind of friendly competition is that that they have to hurt each other? Well Jongin doesn't have a bruise or anything. She might as well talk to Jongin about it if he hit Kyungsoo. That was just so wrong.

"Don't concern yourself anymore Eunji. We're fine." He said flatly. If she just knew the truth she might flip.

"Sure. Sure." She snickered.

~~~

"So after finals and the school festival, where do you want to go?" Jongin asked Eunji while she's doing some studying in their library. And speaking of studying, she noticed that she's the only one that's doing so. Is Jongin some kind of a genius that she didn't know of?

She was at her drawing board and he's laying on his back on the couch. He was just actually there to watch Eunji study 'cause he liked her looking like the nerd that she is. She's wearing her thick rimmed black glasses and black oversized sweaters and cotton shorts with her knee high black socks. Her hair on a loose bun, her bangs sticking out to different places and Jongin never thought a girl could look y and adorable at the same time. Wait, so she finds Eunji y now too? He's doomed.

"Hmm? What do you mean?" She asked and turned her swivel chair to face Jongin, adjusting to her seat to sit in indian position.

"I mean where do you want to go for our honeymoon." He directly said. He remembered her saying she preferred a more direct approach in everything which Jongin likes. He smirked playfully when he saw her cheeks starting to blush and mouth shaped like a small 'o' as she spoke.

"Oh." She uttered.

"Oh? So, do you want to go overseas or anywhere in the country?" He asked again.

"I haven't thought about it yet but if you have some place in mind then we can go there, I guess." She actually wanted to sound excited but she's sure she heard herself sounded like she's being sentenced to go to jail instead.

Jongin sat up and gently moved Eunji's chair, facing him as Eunji fidgets on the hem of her shirt. His arms holding her chair's arm rests for good measure, just in case she bails from what he's about to do. His hands slowly reached her waist and stopped as he looked at her intently, "What I heard was you're okay anywhere as long as you're with me." He smirked, oh well, he's really enjoying her blushed face. "Come here…" He said and cradled her on his lap, still in that indian position and she's so obedient that she even wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Yep. That's what I exactly meant." She affirmed.

"You see, I like that too. But I would appreciate it more if we'd really go somewhere that you like." He said.

"Okay. We'll see then. We still have a few more weeks anyway. Think it over. " He just said instead, feeling hot all of a sudden especially when Jongin started kissing her cheek.

"Okay." She kissed him back with a tight hug.

"Can we go to sleep now? It's really late now and I'm already sleepy." He whined.

"Alright. " She just said, she removed her eyeglasses and placed it on her messy table. She felt tired too anyway. How can she just refuse him when he's being such a baby like this? She never thought that Jongin was actually whiny than Chanyeol. Times like this he would just embrace her and pout when he wanted something. 

Jongin carried her towards their bedroom and snuggled to sleep. He's now used to sleeping with her, he actually regretted not doing so beforehand. Well there are alot of things that he regrets doing just now with Eunji. So far she's being the best wife for him and he can't complain about anything. 

She takes care of almost everything for the two of them even though he knew how busy she was with her own school projects and all the other things she had but she never forgets to call him if he has eaten, or she sometimes goes to their dance rehearsals to bring them some foods and drinks. He was even amazed at how she handles her time so well.

Oh well, there was one thing that he didn't like and that was her closeness with Kyungsoo nowadays. She even scolded him about hitting Kyungsoo, telling him to apologize to Kyungsoo and that it was non-sense to fight about something cause apparently his so called best friend told his wife that they're having this 'friendly competition' that Eunji said was absurd and they should kiss and make up already cause they're the best of friends. Well, if Kyungsoo will take back what he said and apologize to him he might reconsider their friendship but not until then. He even made him look like he's the bad guy in Eunji's eyes.

What the hell?