Business As Usual

Chasing Pavements

"Wow! You're dressed to kill today babe." Yifan exclaimed as he saw Eunji enter in his office like she owns the place. Well, she does, kindof. 

 

She's wearing a white tailored dress under her blood-red coat and some killer high heels. She looked like a model rather than an Architect.

 

"Aren't I always?" A lie. She said smiling and sat comfortably on the seat across Yifan's table. Yifan never failed to compliment her with whatever, he's such a doting big brother. She doesn't always dress up formally in the office because it's difficult to work when you're wearing some tight dress and stilettos, but she makes sure to always look her best whatever clothing she's wearing, one of the many things that changed about her, she cares about her physical appearance now more than before.

 

Also from time to time whenever she needs to meet up with some clients or business partners she has to put on some fancy suit. Like today, she's already scheduled for four meetings then suddenly a meeting with Kim Builders was squeezed to her schedule so that's five now. This is going to be a long day. Surely being one of the directors in their firm has a toll like this, not that she's complaining.

 

Their firm was a small one that's why they're all hands-on to every project. They don't have what normally large architecture firms have categorized to sub units. But they're supported by their main branch in China, they're a subsidiary but they're left with most control in that Korea branch. The main company was owned by Yifan's family. Eunji never thought her mother actually married a business mogul, she didn't know better until she arrived in China more than seven years ago. She was actually worried for nothing. Her mother never mentioned anything like that, like how big of a businessman her step-father was, all she was thinking before was he was a regular businessman but nothing was regular with him when she flew to China and Yifan was the only child.

 

Yifan started their firm 4 years ago and she just joined the business about a year ago. She was actually hesitant to leave her job in China, at the main branch but Yifan talked her into it. Offering her to be one of the executive directors which sounds really promising. She was a junior architect back in China and becoming an executive director would surely pay its price compared to her old designation but she's thrilled about it and Yifan is the best boss she could ever ask for, so no, nothing to complain about so far.

 

"Of course." Yifan just cocked an eyebrow as an agreement. She's definitely an eye catcher whether she's so dressed up like today or even when she's just wearing her normal office clothes. So different from her old self five years ago. 

 

When he met her seven years back, he remembered her like she was a stray kitten. A broken doll. It took him months to get to talk to her and get close to her eventually. It took her sometime to get back to her feet and be what she is now. He didn't know how or what she was before he met her but her personality now is striking and could definitely intimidate anyone. He couldn't see any sign of that stray cat that he held for months before and he's proud of that.

 

"So what happened to our contractors?" She said getting down to business. She's not the chit chat type of person and Yifan was equally busy too.

 

"Yeah. About that, out of six only one responded. Kim Builders." Yifan stated.

 

"Kim Builders? Are they new? What happened to the other five?" she asked as this was the first time she heard about this contractor. 

 

They're actually running out of time for this specific project and they only have one contractor available so far and still unsure too? That's definitely not a good news. 

 

"Well. They're all not available. Kim Builders aren't new in the business, but they're mainly based in Busan and they just put up an office here in Seoul a couple months ago. Zitao used to work there and he recommended them." Yifan explained. Zitao is one of their business partners and consultants. He's chinese but he's mainly based in Korea for the longest time, as far as she knows.

 

"I see. So they're the addition to my already fully booked schedule today?" She said, more like a statement than a question.

 

"Yeah. I checked their company a bit and they're good. You'll be meeting with the main engineer which is their branch manager too. Sorry for the short notice but Mr. Kim is only available today because he's going back to Busan tomorrow as I heard from his secretary. So make sure to get them okay?" He said. Kim Builders is their only hope for this big project, actually. 

 

"Alright, as you wish Mr. Wu." She said and stood up. She just barely nodded at her boss as a sign that she's leaving. She's not really fond of meetings especially with engineers. Some are too cocky especially if they know they can't bring the architects' blueprints to life then blaming the architects for not making a design that's doable as what they normally say as an excuse and some more. Well, if she's meeting the guy who's also the manager then there's hope. 

 

"Goodluck. Just no fighting this time okay? We really need them. I'll treat you to something nice later tonight." He just said as he watched her walk her way out of his office.

 

Admittedly, she has quite a temper too that she didn't know she had.

 

She's having this reputation in the business how she gets into arguments with some engineers, and it worries him sometimes. He knew Eunji could handle herself well but sometimes there are really insecure jerks whenever Eunji points out the wrong things in the plan or whatnot, majority in their industry was male dominated and having a woman as brilliant as Eunji in the field, telling them that they're doing their own job wrong really stomped their ego bigtime. She's sharp and too smart for their own good sometimes, different from what they're expecting based on her looks. 

 

He's seen her in action some times and if those guys weren't too obvious to get her attention by flirting with Eunji then they would use technicality with her which they never win because Eunji knows her craft so well, for someone who's been in the field not too long she's practically a genius. He can't even bring himself to sympathize with those poor bastards. So they blacklisted most of them, especially those who really crossed the line, they're unprofessional and won't do good to the business anyway.

 

Their firm wasn't a huge one but they're already making their own name in the industry. They just got their latest and biggest project so far courtesy of Eunji, they sent the proposal to the big contractors that best suits the project. Unfortunately all of those declined as they're not available and or unable to cater the project because of the tight timeline given. It's understandable actually, good thing Zitao managed to talk to one of his friends who decided to give their project a glance. 

 

According to Zitao, Kim Builders just branched out in Seoul a couple months back and they're not handling a big project yet so the meeting was scheduled right away, to discuss if it's really possible for them to take it. He would've taken that meeting but all his engagements are way too far to the Kim Builders office, besides Eunji was the main architect and project manager, she should do the honor since that's her first major project yet.


 

~~~

 

Eunji drove to her last destination of meeting for the day and she's already exhausted. Thankfully, the meetings went well and the only engineer that she's going to talk to was from Kim Builders. 

 

Hopefully it will go well too because they really needed to get started with that big project. She hasn't read the contractor's profile yet 'cause she has no spare time but since Yifan and Zitao said that they're good then it should be good. She'll just read through it real quick later since she can't read and drive at the same time.

 

She reached the address and the building where Kim Builders office was residing was actually a high rise one. Obviously an expensive building. A thirty floors storey, all glass outlined building. Beautiful.

 

She took her things from the backseat and proceeded to the sixteenth floor, that's what Zitao told her. She looked for the business card that she casually inserted in her planner without even checking when Zitao gave it to her earlier to check the name of the person that she'll be meeting with only to be frozen in her tracks. 

 

Engr. Kim Jongin. Branch Manager of Kim Builders. 

 

What a joke?!

 

Kim Builders. Kim. 

 

Kim Jongin didn't even cross her mind 'cause what are the chances that she'll be meeting him like this when there are about 10 million people in the country with the Kim surname. And meeting him in Seoul when he's family's based in Busan, oh. And with that, it instantly flashed back to her what Yifan just said earlier, Kim Builders main branch was based in Busan…

 

Of course. Kim Builders. From Busan. Her hometown. Jongin's family owns a construction company. Business must be doing great to branch out to Seoul. 

 

What the actual ?

 

She knew this day would come but she was not expecting it to be the day and definitely not in a business setting. Nice. 

 

After seven long years.

 

The ding of the elevator snapped her back to reality. She slowly got off the lift but stayed in the empty hallway for a couple of minutes. Battling with herself if she's going to proceed or run out of the building.

 

Obviously, running away wasn't an option, why did she even think of that for a second? Damn. Why would she even run off? She's here for business and she'll stay for that reason alone.

 

Who would have thought she'll be meeting with her estranged husband sooner than she planned? 

 

What a chore.

 

She took a lazy sigh and looked around. The office entrance was on the right wing, a few feet away from where she's standing. No other door aside from that one.

 

Funny 'cause she doesn't feel nervous or anything, aside from being momentarily surprised with the turn of events, she's definitely fine. The old Eunji would be ecstatic to meet Kim Jongin. Ah, the old times. She smiled to herself with the thought. The mere fact she didn't feel any nervousness which should be normal with her new self, or real self, makes her want to feel a little worried apparently. 'Cause it isn't normal not to feel anything in this kind of circumstance, right?

 

She's moved on and all but meeting her husband after seven years is still something especially if they didn't part ways with good terms to say the least. She didn't know what to expect from him, will he accept the project once he sees her or will he despise her again? 

 

It's been a long time and it would be childish if Jongin declined the project unless their company wasn't really capable to do the project, that is. She'll know for sure later on.

 

And as a backup plan, if by any chance he still despises her, she can just hand over the project to Yifan so Jongin won't have to see her face. Because they really need this project to go through no matter what so desperate measures could ensue and she wouldn't mind whatever it may be. It's not like she really wanted to see him anyway.

 

She's over him. It wasn't easy but she did it anyway. Sure there are still some things that have to be taken care of between them but she's already got that planned out.

 

But, in case Kim Builders won't take the cut…

 

She took her phone out and dialled Yifan's number.

 

"Is there really no other contractor for the CJ project?" She asked right away when Yifan picked up the second ring. 

 

"None. Why what happened? Where are you? You can't be late to your meeting with Mr. Kim, Zitao said he's an impatient guy and please no fighting too cause we desperately needed them for this okay?" His voice sounded half worried and half pleading. 

 

"Alright, just making sure. I'm already here by the way, I was never late. Tch. Bye." She just said in a retired tone and hung up. No fighting, that's what Yifan always tells her and several times she failed him. There's a chance she might today too.

 

She took a deep breath before proceeding to the office entrance.

 

The sliding glass door automatically opened the moment she stood nearly in front of it. She walked to the reception area and told the receptionist about her appointment with their manager.

 

She was then escorted to the manager's office. The door opened by itself again and she was approached by another lady, probably the manager's secretary and she was pointed to another door to the right. The entire office was divided by matte dark tinted glass and she knew the entire office was expensive as it looks, as the building itself. The entire floor must be probably three times larger than their firm's office and their firm's already a spacious one. Looks like Kim Builders' in a very good shape nowadays to even lease in the expensive part of the city in Seoul. 

 

She knocked twice before she heard a faint 'come in' so she pushed the door gently by the handle. She's not sure but that sounded like Jongin but not really. She's never seen him or heard his voice for the past seven years but there's still some tinge of familiarity somehow. Weird.

 

She found Mr. Kim by his expensive looking table head down and looking busy with whatever paper he looks like he's signing. 

 

She gently walked inside and stopped a few feet away, her heels didn't make any sound because of the thick carpet. The guy didn't seem to notice her presence either, or so she thought.

 

She cleared to get his attention and succeeded as she saw him slowly looking up to her, also slowly looking shocked like he's seen a ghost for a few seconds there and If this wasn't a business meeting she would have laughed at his reaction. Epic. His eyes didn't blink at all and his lips slightly parted in surprise, still good looking, or even more since she last saw him. Maturity did him justice.

 

She cleared again 'cause it seems like Jongin looked in awe and he didn't even try to hide it. 

 

Jongin seems to get his sanity back and stood up, he walked up to her with long quick strides and that was her turn to look a bit shocked with their distance. He stopped when she stepped back and glared at him, he was only a palm away if she didn't move back. What was that about?

 

"I'm from WJ Architecture, Mr. Kim." She said flatly and extended a hand to him after a moment of awkward silence and Jongin's blank stare at her. There's no need to introduce herself anyway. 

 

Damn, she suddenly felt so conscious, either way he took her hand for a shake.

 

"I'm here for the CJ project." She said, still in monotone but emphasized the word project.

 

What the hell? Jongin was still staring at her like she's an apparition. Did he think that she's a ghost now by any chance?

 

"It's great to see you again Eunji." Jongin finally said in his deep low voice.

 

She nodded suspiciously, great to see her? Well that's new.

 

She eyed down their hands where Jongin seemed to forget to let go when she tried to pull her hand back. He followed her gaze and his lips broke into a small smile. "Ah, sorry." He apologized and let her hand go.

 

"Have a seat please. You're here for the CJ project you said?" Jongin said, walking towards the large table nearby. His tone was now business like, looks like he's recovered from the surprise that was her.

 

"Thank you." She said following suit.

 

"I was expecting Zitao." He said, now that they're both settled at the table.

 

"I'm sorry to disappoint you then. Mr. Huang had an urgent meeting to attend today and I'm the one who's handling this project. I didn't expect to meet you too." Darn. He might really drop the project because of her?!  "But, we can of course make another appointment with Mr. Huang if you like?" She offered even though Yifan told her that Mr. Kim is only available today. It's not like she wanted to talk to him too. Damnit.

 

"I see. That's actually fine, I was just surprised to see you today. As I've said it's really great seeing you again." He said while looking straight back at her. "Let's probably just go over with what you have to discuss first?"

 

It's not like he's disappointed to see her because he really was glad to see her but not in a business meeting wherein they were obviously expected to talk about work but nevertheless, this will do for now. 

 

Seeing her this close after all those years makes his heart skip a beat again for a good reason. 

 

She looks so different now, her long hair and cute bangs were gone. She's grown into a fine young woman that he thought she would. The aura that she has now was so different from the Eunji that he used to know, it's like they're two different people but not really. He can't tell which one he likes better, the old young spirited Eunji or this new sophisticated and intimidating Eunji. The new one looked surely interesting but he missed the old one that was once his, because this new one doesn't seem to be fazed by his presence anymore. He can't help but smile to himself with the thought.

 

"Perfect! I suppose you've already seen the design plan that we sent you? I'll discuss everything that I can today then. For contract matters, Mr. Huang will discuss it with you, and he talks so highly of your company so I hope we won't get any problems about this project." She said as she went over the folders that she brought about the plan, she handed one to Jongin.

 

Jongin looked over the detailed design and documents with Eunji explaining the details as much.

 

A few hours or so has passed, they both finished two cups of tea and they're almost done with the documents. Jongin doesn't really have many questions about the design, just some pressing matters which Eunji was able to answer proficiently, she amazed him even more when she tackled everything step by step from the layout design to the costing, even to the sub contractor that they'll get for the other installation like electrical and I.T equipment and all. Of course he knows all of it but hearing her talk again with seriousness and enthusiasm makes him want her more than ever, sure thing this Eunji is very interesting. All he could do was basically agree with her and a few comments when needed. So as far as he's concerned, he's rather impressed and he would really like to take the project.

 

Normally for initial meetings like this there should have at least three people from the firm to discuss every aspect but Eunji discussed everything all by herself. She really knows what she's doing. Her company must be really lucky to have a competent architect like her on board.

 

In an engineer's perspective, it's a delight having meetings with someone like Eunji. So far in his job, he already talked to a lot of architects and some conflicts were inevitable. There were architects who only cared for pure fancy designs but lacked the technicalities, sometimes even the basics. Instances like the electrical and water system, even bathroom misplacing, those were just some of the troubles they had to go through and through to meet both parties standards, not to mention if the client also decided to interfere. That means long hours of meetings, delayed projects or dropped projects if worst comes to worse.

 

But then again, Eunji already covered almost everything. Even the things that aren't her scope of work. The design was great and appealing. There were no misplaced fire escape and bathroom assignments too. So far he would love to take part of the project. This is what an engineer or contractor dreamed of, an architect who's capable and knows well what they're doing. He can say he's very impressed. Not like he's expecting less from her too.

 

"Great. I think you've covered everything needed. Awesome work!" Jongin commended, he doesn't normally commend someone but when he does that person usually jumps for joy but in this case Eunji was nothing like that, not even a change of her plain business-like attitude as she was all throughout their meeting. Oh well, if she's that good she must be used to praises from others too.

 

"Thanks. I reckon that you're most likely to accept the project then. Could you spare us some time early next week so we can continue with the contract or if you have anymore questions, I'll make sure to bring Mr. Huang to discuss the budget in detail? Also about the sub contractors, I'll let the company that you want to take responsibility for that too. I'll have the contract ready asap."

 

"Sure. Thanks"

 

"Well, actually thanks." She honestly said. She may don't want to say it out loud but Jongin made everything easy for her in this meeting.  "Oh and, are you the engineer who's gonna handle this or do you have another person in mind? 'Cause if you do we'll have to meet that person too next meeting -"

 

"I'll handle it myself." He assured her. 

 

She nodded in agreement. "I'm just worried because there might be too many in your plate already since you're the boss here as well, we don't want to jeopardize both parties Mr. Kim, if you know what I mean." She said while starting to pack her things.

 

Jongin smirked as he watched his bossy estranged wife. "I'm sure I can manage."

 

"Alright. Then, for the meantime, you can study the detailed layout further and let me know if there were some mistakes so I can fix them before we finalize everything and present it to our client again." She simply said, pushing the thick portfolio with her business card on top towards Jongin.

"Also, I've got to go now. I have an urgent matter to attend to." She just received an sms from one of the engineers that she's working with for another project.

 

She stood up and extended her hand for a handshake again like she normally does at every end of the meeting, Jongin was still sitting across like the boss that he is, staring at her with a playful smile on his lips and she gave him a questioning look.

 

"What? Do you have any more questions?" She asked, plainly formal.

 

Jongin took her hand and stood up as well. "Yes actually. Now that we're done with business talk, maybe we can talk about some personal matters now?"

 

Eunji was taken aback for a moment, didn't know what was going on in his mind to bring up such a topic all of a sudden. That's the least she's expecting from him to say to be honest.

 

"You don't blush anymore when I touch you." He said before she could answer him first. Her hand still on Jongin's grasp.

 

Eunji pulled her hand back a little too harsh and snickered. "I guess so. I don't understand what you're trying to imply now but I'm only here for business Mr. Kim, incidentally." She said, looking straight back at him.

 

He just smiled at her with sadness, or was it? 

 

He knows he's hurt her in the past and her reaction now seemed like she doesn't care about him anymore, it's been seven years already and he can't blame her if she has already forgotten her feelings for him but seeing her now like this made him really happy. 

 

"Can you meet me at dinner?" He asked instead.

 

She sighed. "I can't." She said flat out.

 

"Why?"

 

"Why?" She gave him a really confused look.

 

"Just because…" He shrugged with a smile. "Don't you think you still owe me an explanation why you suddenly showed yourself again after seven years?"

 

Alright, it seemed like she can't really hold off this 'catching-up with your ex' moment. Jongin hasn't really signed any contract with them yet so she better be careful with him until then at least.

 

"Look, Sorry if I have to show my face again after all these years. I assure you I'm only here for business so no need to make this a big deal." She said sarcastically. "As I've said earlier, this was purely incidental. And I can assure you you won't see me again for the entire duration of this project. That's a promise." She said sternly. And she thought Jongin was already mature enough to not bring up their old feud, oh she was wrong again.

 

Jongin chuckled. "I think you got me wrong, baby. I see how you badly need this project to go through with us and I get it, I'll take it only if you're one hundred percent present in each and every way you're needed."

 

"I can sign the contract first thing tomorrow if you're ready for it. But for the mean time, have dinner with me tonight?" Two more steps and he reached her. His right hand landed on top of her head gently, gliding down to her nape as he pulled her closer for a chaste kiss on her cheek. His other hand on her waist, slowly pulling her for an embrace as he settled his head between her shoulder and neck, breathing her in. 

 

"God, I miss you." He breathes.

 

"What is going on here?" 

 

A deep voice woke Eunji from Jongin's spell. She quickly pushed him away and turned to where the familiar voice came from, and there she saw Park Chanyeol, in his handsome suit. She saw his face lit up when he recognized her.

 

He came up to her and gave her a tight hug, not minding Jongin's irritated look. Eunji returned his embrace for a quick moment only, still a little surprised with what's happening all of a sudden.

 

"Eunji! Oh my goodness! I'm so happy to see you! What happened? How are you?" Chanyeol exclaimed.

 

"I'm happy to see you too.. Let's catch up next time. I've got to go for now." She quickly said and turned to Jongin. "Call me for later Mr. Kim." She said and quickly left.