Ten - Bittersweet

Chasing Pavements

 

Jongin woke up in the middle of the night and realized that he's alone in their bed. He looked at the clock on the side table and it was already past one in the morning.

He drank a little at the club and he fell asleep right away the moment they reached home, which wasn't the plan. But now that he woke up without his wife, a slight panic rushed through him. He was used to her warm body next to him and it's almost not comfortable without her that he even woke up. It's almost scaring him how he's getting used to it so quickly for some reason.

He got off from the bed to look for her. He went down and saw her in the kitchen, it was dark and the only light was the one coming from the open refrigerator where she's standing.

He walked slowly to her without breaking his gaze to his wife who seemed unaware about his presence.

He stared at his wife's figure, she's wearing his sweatshirt again that's obviously too big for her petite frame. Her messy long hair, Her knee high socks and her not so visible boxer shorts. She must be the iest thing ever that he'd laid his eyes on and she didn't even try. 

He stopped walking cautiously when he reached her and abruptly hugged her from behind. He felt her stiffened and turned her head at him.

"Oh my goodness Jongin! You scared me!" She exclaimed. She almost dropped the glass of water that she's holding, she gently placed it to the nearest counter. 

"You scared me too. You left me alone upstairs." He said and settled his head on the crook of her neck and shoulder and inhaled her scent, he always loved her vanilla-lavender scent, it's so addicting yet relaxing.

"I was just thirsty. I'm not going anywhere." Was she hearing what she thought she heard? Did Jongin just say he was scared that she left? 

"I thought you left me," He said while rubbing circles on her flat tummy. 

"Why would you think that? I'm pretty sure I made an impression that I'm staying… forever. " She chuckled. A little giddy with his hands on her tummy. Even if the sweats that she's wearing were a little thick Jongin's touch was like going through her skin. 

"Yes you did." He chuckled. "A strong one at that. I was just worried that you may realize one day that I'm not worth it and leave me." He said honestly. That was his main worry for the past few weeks now, after he realized that he could be vying with his good friends for his wife's attention. He knew it's stupid 'cause she already married him anyway but still he doesn't know where his sudden insecurities are coming from, he's freaking insecure with his friends and it never happened before. 

Until Eunji happened. 

"That's silly! Leave you for what? It's not like I have anywhere else to go if ever!" She said. She turned to face Jongin and saw her still half asleep husband. She cupped his face with her two hands and gently ran her fingers through his hair then settled at the back of his neck to hug him tight. "Jongin, you are my home now and there's no other place I'd ever want to be than here." Slowly she whispered.

Jongin wrapped his arms on her waist tightly too and started to sway her in a very slow paced like dance. "Hmm. I'd love that."

"Are we dancing without music right now? You know I'm bad at this right?" She said smiling and leaned her head on his chest and let herself move by her husband.

"Hm. That's fine. I haven't danced with you before." He just said and leaned down slowly to kiss her tenderly. It wasn't just the chaste one that they used to share.

"Eunji, baby, I'm sorry." He said suddenly after a moment. 

Baby. She likes the ring of that endearment.

"For what?" She asked and stopped dancing when Jongin did. 

"For making you wait this long for me. I was an idiot for not noticing you all this time."

Eunji just stared up to him like she lost all the words in her vocabulary to come up with a proper sentence.

"Thank you for making all those efforts just to be with me, although I feel like you deserve someone better but I wouldn't want you to be with anyone else than me. So I guess I'll just do my best to be the better husband that you deserve then." He continued and gazed at her lovingly. 

"I like you. I like you a lot. I mean I think I loved you even before and I may have been but not fully aware about my feelings for you because I was stupid."

He realized that probably the reason why he just let her follow him around was because he liked it too and was expecting her to be there to support and cheer for him like she always does. It took him a long while to realize how amazing she was. Why his friends liked her, why his family loved her. She must be really the one for him and he was thankful to have her. For all that she has done to be with him. He appreciated everything now.

Eunji looked up to him with teary eyes and a bit in awe, thinking if she's just dreaming or what. But she knows too well that it wasn't a dream.

"I don't mind you telling me you love me too…" He said coyly.

She managed a small smile. She's still trying to digest everything he just said. His confession. His gaze as if she's the most desirable woman on earth. She'd been dreaming for this moment to happen and now is that moment. Her happiness is just too much for her heart to handle. Is that even possible, to be this happy that your heart's about to burst?

"I love you too, Jongin. Have always been." She finally said and tiptoed to kiss him on the lips.

Jongin just smiled and leaned down to kiss her tenderly. He wrapped his arms on her waist to pull her up closer. 

They didn't say another word as Jongin eventually carried her back to their bedroom without breaking the kiss. 

 

~~~

 

"What time is it?" She must have slept for a few hours. Her body was all sore but she didn't mind. It was still a bit dark outside as she glanced out the window.

She woke up with some noise and saw Jongin packing his clothes in his suitcase. From the looks of it he's almost done. A sudden panic surged to her. Did something happen? An emergency maybe?

"What's going on Jongin? What time is it?" She asked in her hoarse worried voice.

"It's about time that you stop deceiving me Eunji." He said sternly as he closed and locked the suitcase. 

Jongin was at the edge of their bed. He's already dressed in his denim shorts and tshirt. His eyes were red and hair still messy. 

Even though the light coming from the lampshade was dim she could still see Jongin's angry face. 

"What do y-" She said as she slowly sat up on the bed clutching the blanket to cover her body. 

"Nothing really happened between the two of us that night. You should be awarded as best actress the way you cry before as if I really took advantage of you!" Jongin lashed at Eunji. She was still a until today, Jongin knew that now for sure. "You," he sighed heavily. "You never told the truth about that night. Now that I think about it, you must have drugged me so I won't remember anything since I totally have no recollection of anything that happened that night. Did you?!"

"I-I'm sorry." She uttered hoarsely. Tears started to drip down her cheeks. Now that the 'cat's out of the bag' as what others say, this must be her 'the end' in this fake love story.

"Sorry? Are you kidding me? So that's why you were so stiff whenever I touched you 'cause you were afraid that your secret would be revealed if something happened to us? Wow. This scheme was almost perfect only if you didn't drug me so much that nothing happened. You deceived me! My family! My friends! Everyone! How could you? Huh? That was ruthless of you." He said furiously.

Jongin stood up and looked at Eunji in despair. He can't explain how enraged he was at the moment. The puzzle's now solved. Eunji deliberately deceived him. Manipulated everything. He was right after all. How could she do such a thing? Does she know too that his mom has a weak heart and took advantage of that fact knowing his mom loved her and she knew he couldn't afford to disobey his mother when he was told to marry their ever dearest Eunji? The not so innocent Eunji?

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry? ! What would your sorry do to me? Will it bring everything back to how it used to be if I accept your apology? No! Eunji, no! That was not the right thing to do especially to someone that you adamantly claimed you love! That was so vile of you!"

"I'm sorry Jongin," What's there to say really? She was despicable. Jongin was right. 

"Say another sorry and I'll make sure you regret it!" Looking at her right now he could tell that this girl was really smart and capable. And a good actress too. If he didn't know better he would fall right now with her crying antics like she's really hurt. Oh hell, she must be. Her pride must have been hurt totally. He didn't expect this turn of events, and for a moment back then he was blindly in love with her? He greatly despised her now. She's really unbelievable. To pull off the whole scheme all this time, really amazing. How stupid can he really be? How stupid does she see him to have done that?

"Jongin s-sor, I mean please listen to me please, please?" She pleaded in between sobs and stood up to reach for Jongin who just gestured her not to come any closer so she stopped a feet away. 

"No! You listen to me! That scheme that you pulled off, someone not normal can only do such a thing! What have I ever done to you? Huh? I never thought you were that crazy! What else do I need to know now? How many skeletons in your closet that I still have to find out?" He said. 

She just shook her head violently 'cause there was nothing else really. 

"No? Alright. It's over between us anyway, I wouldn't have any interest in anything about you from now on."

"No Jongin, please let me explain…" She has nothing to hide anymore.

"What is there to explain? You obviously manipulated everything! Wow! I definitely married a capable woman! So when do you plan to tell me?" He mocked her. 

"I was about to, I-I was so s-scared that this will h-happen... " She stuttered. She can barely see him clearly because her tears are blurring her eyesight. Her voice muffled too and she must have looked like a total mess but she didn't care and walked towards him to hold him only to be pushed away harshly and landed on the carpeted floor. The impact was so strong and took her a moment to get back up cause she was a little shocked, not to mention the pain too.

"Oh. You were? Damn! You must have laughed at how stupid I am and my friends and my family!" He said in a sarcastic tone that gave her chills. This Jongin scares her.

"No Jongin, no. No. I love you." She said and moved closer to him again when Jongin grabbed her tightly by the shoulders which will surely leave bruises after and she didn't care. She tried to put a distance between them as she tried to step back but Jongin won't budge on his grip. 

"Love? You don't know what that is! Believe me you don't." He said and shook Eunji on her shoulders and let her go afterwards cause he didn't know if he can still control himself from hurting her or taking her back to his arms cause he's utterly confused himself if he wants to just forgive her and start a fresh 'cause he just ing confessed to her hours ago and they made love for goodness' sake and then he found out the truth and he just couldn't let it pass just like that. 

He's big in honesty. And Eunji didn't only lie to him big-time but manipulated him like a puppet, made him fall for her, hard enough that he wanted to throw himself off a bridge because of his stupidity. It hurts to know that she just played him. It was a sick game she played. Couldn't she just wait when he actually falls in love with her and still has to pull off that scheme? He was a fool. He was so frustrated himself that he wished something had happened to them the first time so this wouldn't happen now? 

And all she could say was sorry? But really, what did he want to hear from her? He's not sure either.

"So if I told you beforehand will you take it lightly? Will you forgive me?" She asked and sat on the edge of the bed. Too tired to fight anymore.

"No. Eunji. A relationship made from deceit won't ever work." He said and took a deep breath. No matter how much he liked or loved her now it wouldn't erase the fact of what she did. And he will just forever remember it everytime he sees her. He can't live with that.

"See? That's what I meant. You will still leave me. That was some chance, that night… and I took that chance hoping that you'll like me back. I know it was wrong and I also hated myself since then and if I could only turn back time I wouldn't have done that but it already happened." She softly said. 'And you finally said you love me…' she wanted to add but didn't.

"If you can please give me one last chance, please, please... Jongin, I'm begging you… I'll do anything, please?" she said bursting into tears again as Jongin carried the luggages and started to leave.

Chance. Last time he gave them a chance brought them both to this very dreadful moment. Will there be any worse than this? He chuckled bitterly.

"Anything? Then just leave me alone." He just said and left.

She never thought that her happiest day yet will be the end of her too.