Six - Confession

Chasing Pavements

 

Jongin never saw Eunji lately in their house. It's different from not seeing her from the past weeks because he's so damn busy but he still knows she's just around. Funny cause their house wasn't that big for them not to see each other unless of course if she was doing it deliberately in which he understands.  He should really apologize this time, but how if she's into hide and seek with him?

Eunji seemed to be still doing her wife duties diligently. The entire house was always well attended to. There's decent breakfast now too, just regular egg rolls and toast but that's definitely an improvement compared from their first week living together when even a simple ramyun wasn't edible at all, how'd she manage to ruin an instant noodle was still a mystery to him. How she used to hang around his mother before, he can't believe she didn't learn a thing or two about cooking because his mother is superb at cooking!

Last time, when they fought he saw some fried chicken, salad and kimchi spaghetti in the trash bin the next morning. Lay even laughed at him that he didn't try the fried chicken cause he said it was the best tasting fried chicken he ever had along with Kyungsoo's kimchi spaghetti. 

He's not sure if Lay was exaggerating or what but this is Lay he's talking to and he's just plain honest, however, whenever he talks about Eunji he tends to exaggerate for some reason.

He thought that he's been so childish for being mean to her all this time when he agreed to marry her in the first place even though he was forced into it. Maybe she's right to give their marriage a chance. Maybe it's time to man up his decision and quit being dramatic about how he's only forced into this marriage?

Last night when he came home, he tried to apologize to her too but when he knocked a couple times to her bedroom, there was no answer, again, the feeling of guilt kicked in so he decided to just let her be for the time being.

He saw her at school since they have one or two subjects together but he barely got a glimpse of her as she sat at the back corner of the room. She normally sits upfront with Lay but not anymore and he's in  the middle row and it would be too awkward to look back at her cause it will be too obvious. He even planned to corner her after but she just vanished when the class ended.

Next day. He was eager to talk to Eunji to apologize.

That afternoon, he was walking to his next class when he saw Eunji with Kyungsoo. They're still a little too far away from him and they looked like they're enjoying each other's company to Jongin's annoyance. Kyungsoo's arm was on her shoulder and she doesn't seem to mind. Are they really this close as usual? Anyone would see them would think that they're dating! He felt his jaw clenched and as he's about to move forward to the two who are too busy with each other to notice him when someone grabbed his arm. 

"Jongin! " Krystal exclaimed and grabbed Jongin's arm cause he seemed too preoccupied to notice her.

Jongin hastily his side and saw Krystal's smiling face. He felt his body tense when he turned to Eunji and Kyungsoo's direction, the two already saw him, they must have heard Krystal calling him, he gently shrugged Krystal's hand on his arm. 

"Are you okay? Here, I was looking for you 'cause you left your phone at my place last time.." Krystal said, still smiling.

Ah, yeah, the damned phone! Jongin can actually go on with his life without a mobile phone to be honest, he rarely uses it, mostly misplaces or even loses it. And that goddamned thing even got him into trouble recently.

At the moment, the two were already just a feet away from him and there's no way that they didn't hear what Krystal just said. This was going to be another misunderstanding, when he hasn't fixed the previous ones yet. He chuckled to himself. Great. 

But then the two only passed him, they didn't even acknowledge him! He's about to call Eunji and follow them when Krystal grabbed his arm again and handed him his phone that he forgot to take again.

He took the phone harshly and said a quick thanks to Krystal who looked rather confused at how Jongin was acting, he then left to follow the two. But unfortunately when he looked around and they're nowhere to be found. Great. 

Where the hell did they go now? 

What was Kyungsoo doing in the Engineering and Architecture building in the first place?

Why does Kyungsoo hang out with Eunji a lot recently? Didn't he say he's too busy?

What kind of project are they really working on?

Jongin has a lot of lingering questions in mind that he had trouble focusing in class afterwards.

~~~

"Are you sure you're okay?" Kyungsoo asked. They're at a cafe after their cooking class has ended. 

"Of course." She said smiling and sipped from her mocha frappe. "I'd like to learn how to make this. " She said, referring to the oreo cheese cake and took a mouthful. Jongin would love this too she thought. Ugh. Jongin this, Jongin that, her mind's full of Jongin.

"I can teach you. It's easy." Kyungsoo said while taking a mouthful of his own cheese cake. He's not sure if Eunji was really okay or she was so used at pretending that she is. 'Cause who would if you saw your husband with his ex? He doesn't really wanna judge Jongin for anything 'cause he knew Jongin's better than that  but does he really have to go to Krystal's place? No wonder he was unreachable last time, all the while he actually thought Jongin must have misplaced his phone again or something, well he kinda did but not really.

Whatever it is, he should have a valid reason for that or else, he will need to talk to Jongin then, he's been leading on the wrong path these days. He was so blinded with his own dramatic self that he's forgetting other people's feelings. And he's not even sure why Jongin's behaving like a dickwad! He should really find out soon.

Why can't he just like Eunji and live happily ever after? Was it so difficult? Because he doesn't understand why Jongin's being so difficult.

"It amazes me how contradicting your personality was. " She said, interrupting Kyungsoo's reverie. She's happy that Kyungsoo was spending time with her more often now.

"What do you mean? " He asked, wondering.

"We'll, at first glance you look intimidating but you're a real softie." She smiled softly.

"I'll take that as a compliment then." He chuckled.

"Yes of course that was a compliment! You're actually sweet and caring so I hope you find the best girl to take care of you too." She's seen him dating before but none really lasted longer than a few months, and when she asked why his relationship ended, he always said they're not really compatible. Eunji figured Kyungsoo's standard is something else 'cause those girls were pretty decent.

"Well. I don't have time for that." He said, fiddling on his dessert. "You see, I'm already having a hard time making time for you guys, I can't afford any more distractions right now." He said, shaking his head.

"Alright then Mr. Busy guy. Thank you for your efforts." She rolled her eyes. "Well there's always a right time for that anyway. I'm thrilled to see you in love. Would you do stupid and cheesy things too?" She said giggling at the thought, seeing an uptight Kyungsoo falling in love would be a nice sight.

"Yah! Stop imagining things okay! I'm sure I won't be as stupid as Jongin so the girl wouldn't suffer. " He snapped.

Eunji frowned. "Hey! Jongin's not stupid! And I'm not suffering!"

"Of course not." He sarcastically said and both of them laughed. 

"You see Eunji, Jongin may not realized how lucky he was for having you cause he's really stupid and all but I hope you can still hold on until he do. Okay?" He said sincerely.

"Why are you saying that? It's not like I'm leaving Jongin." She said with conviction. She may be hiding from Jongin lately but that doesn't mean she's giving up on him. Not now that she's done so much already. Although seeing him with Krystal hurts a lot but she can still endure more. 

"I see. Just let us know if there's anything we can help you. You know we love you right?" He said.

"Yah! Do Kyungsoo! You're giving me goosebumps! Is that really you or Chanyeol in your body?!" She said in an exaggerated tone and gently shook Kyungsoo on the shoulders. 

~~~

"Hey! I'm glad you came! Did you like our first set?" Chanyeol asked and gave her a warm bear hug.

"Yes of course! You did great as always!" She said and hugged him back. She went back to her table with Chanyeol. Their second set will be after an hour so they can still chat first.

This is the bar where Chanyeol's band sometimes plays. His band normally play alternative rock music but in this bar they only play unplugged and acoustics. The bar's vibe is for chill and relaxation with some fine music on or some live band playing. She's been to several bars and some clubs to watch Chanyeol play, sometimes with the gang but lately mostly it was just her since everyone was so busy. She as well has been spending late to study since it'll be finals soon.

"So how are you?" Chanyeol asked afterwards.

"Why is everybody asking about me these days? I'm good. Why?" She chuckled. She just met Lay earlier when he dropped by at her club's meeting for the school's events for the end of the semester, he gave her the copy of the same flyer last time and also asked the same thing. Was it about last time? It's not like its the first time that Jongin disses her so it's no big deal now. 

"Well cause maybe we know what an idiot kind of guy you married. You should have just married me instead." He said chuckling.

"Should I have just?" She asked back. They always have this kind of conversation when they're alone. She even thought Chanyeol was hitting on her at first but he's just really playful like that and she learned to just play along instead. They're so close that if she didn't fell for Jongin she would have for Chanyeol. Even though he's childish sometimes, that's one of his charms.

"Damn right! I'm like so much better than him at everything you know?" He said proudly.

"Of course you are! Like how great of a dancer you are than Jongin. Jongin should actually step down from being the president status at the dance club for you." She teased while smiling. Chanyeol was a terrible dancer to say the least. 

"Yah! That's mean! Well okay, that's just one thing he has against me. But I'm still the best! He said with his signature pout. She never knew that a guy could be so cute when pouting. Chanyeol was just the cutest.

"Of course. I think I did make a mistake there by marrying him," She said and squinted her eyes like she's really thinking. 

"I told you so. Should you just divorce him and run away with me?" He said in a serious tone this time.

"Why do we have to run away?" She asked back, giving him the same serious tone and stare. 

"Because when that happens, he will realized what he's lost and may come and beg you to take him back and I wouldn't let that to happen. " He said still serious.

"Yah," She said softly. Chanyeol was gazing at her lovingly and its making her feel uncomfortable. She couldn't tell now if he's being serious or not. "You'd really run away with me from your best friend?" She almost chuckled. Chanyeol would never. 

And come to think of it, she never saw them pining for similar girls, they all have different preferences. Chanyeol for one likes a cutesy type of girl, Lay likes a mother-like girl type - if that makes sense, and Kyungsoo was into some serious prim and proper girls and of course Jongin, he dated the "IT" girls. She sighed to herself, none of which is close to her personality. 

She's never cute, her voice sounded too deep for a girl sometimes, she's never domesticated until recently, she was rowdy and never really liked books, she only reads because she needs to, she likes playing computer games instead. She's never girly or stylish, barely dresses up and uses make-up. Now that she thought about it she's really lacking in so many ways, maybe one of the many reasons why no one dared to ask her out before, maybe guys don't see her as a girlfriend material. And that makes sense 'cause she's always with the guys, with her club members in music and student council, she's busy with a lot of things and Jongin and she didn't really give those things a thought before.

"I'm being serious right now Eunji." He said, waking Eunji up from her sudden spacing out. "I always regret those days that I helped you with Jongin whenever I see that he doesn't even appreciate you. It maybe a little too late for my confession and you may feel burdened about this but I'll say it anyway." He said softly. Their sudden marriage caught everyone by surprise and Chanyeol regrets those times he had the chance to tell her how he feels for her. 

Eunji just froze and just stared at Chanyeol who's now reaching for her hand across the small table and firmly held it in his big hands. She just couldn't comprehend with the turn of events all of a sudden. 

Eunji just stared at him. Is he serious now? Cause if she really can choose who to love he would have picked Chanyeol over Jongin. Ahh, her thoughts are becoming weird.

"I like you. I like you a lot. I wished that it was me that you first saw than Jongin. He's my bestfriend alright and you're already married to him and he's a good guy but he's not treating you right. I can't even tell if he really liked you but maybe somehow he do since he married you anyway but still you deserve better than what he's giving you. I'm not asking you to like me back but if you realized that he's not for you I hope you can consider giving me a chance." He said.

She's never seen Chanyeol this serious looking before. The dim light in the bar makes him look warmer and makes him look more gorgeous than he already is. She's totally becoming weird, was her drink spiked or something?

"You're not serious are you? Yah, this isn't funny anymore." She said, her voice sounded weak and going dry. She's waiting for some sort of anything, maybe him telling her it was indeed just a joke but nothing changed on his expression after a couple minutes. He rather looks shy and discouraged, his hands still cupping hers and Eunji can't bring herself to let go either. She even held his hands tighter.

Damn. She's totally caught off guard.

Eunji opened to say something only to close it again, trying to get a better grasp of the situation. What should she say? This was a big revelation. Chanyeol is very dear to her. So Chanyeol liked her all along and she's been oblivious about his feelings all this time? She even asked him a lot of times for help about Jongin and he did help her, all the time. How cruel has she been to Chanyeol? How did it even happen? What is it that Chanyeol even saw in her that he liked? She's not even supposed to be her type!

She remembered what Jongin said that night that if he was sane then, he wouldn't even dare touch her so she figured she was not at least attractive for him or for anyone for that matter. Damn that hurts real good. She was far from the beautiful girls that Jongin dated or not even close to Krystal who's always simply perfect. So that's maybe why Jongin wouldn't like her. Even so, she couldn't change herself to be that type of girl that Jongin liked cause she was hoping that Jongin could see through her simple jeans and shirts.

No one has ever asked her out too, oh right, there was once, how could she forget that one cute exchange student? Does that even count 'cause the guy didn't talk to her since he asked her out if she remembers that right. She never once received a confession too, she couldn't believe that it would come from someone like Chanyeol. He's one of the campus crushes along with the gang. She even remembered all those chocolates the guys get whenever it's valentines and they shared it to her, aside from Jongin 'cause she knew he liked sweets. 

"Eunji?" Chanyeol asked because she's been so quiet for a while now and just staring blankly at him. Did he scare her away? 

"I'm sorry. It was just shocking and I didn't know what to say 'cause this is the first time that I think someone liked me or someone confessed to me so this is all new to me. I mean its not too late for you to take back what you said cause I think you didn't mean what you just said and I'm not deserving of your affec-"

"Eunji stop." He said to cut her in while smiling at her. She was talking too fast and she's cute just being like that. He saw his cheeks blushing as she talk. God, if Jongin has seen her this instant he would have melt of her cuteness he thought. Jongin was really a fool. If Eunji will give him even a thin chance he will definitely be the happiest man on earth. Ugh, as if he didn't hate himself already for liking his best friend's wife. He knew it sounded wrong in all accounts. But to his defense, he liked Eunji first.

Also, it wasn't true that no one liked her. Where did she get those silly ideas? They even bullied a guy one time, that stupid chinese guy that he cornered with Lay 'cause Kyungsoo saw the guy following Eunji and asking for a date when everyone knew that Eunji was after Jongin. 

There were others too but they kept their distance with Eunji and can only do nothing but stare at her with longing cause the three of them were always with Eunji since the chinese guy happened. He don't know why but the three of them felt like they need to protect Eunji. She's too naive that she only has eyes for Jongin. That lucky bastard best friend of his. 

"I'm sorry. Hold on you're not taking back your words aren't you? " She said and took her hand from Chanyeol's grasp. She combed her hair with her fingers and took a deep breath.

Chanyeol just shook his head and smiled at her. He feels relieved that she seemed understanding of the situation, but wasn't that one of the reasons he liked her?

"I mean it." He said. "Also, you're wonderful. A lot of people like you and you shouldn't think otherwise." He assured her. "I'm sorry for having you hear my selfish confession... again, please don't feel burdened, you don't have to do anything. I'm already thankful that you listened at all." He smiled.

"Well. Okay." She sighs. "I'll be honest with you then, 'cause you know, I know how it feels to like someone and getting nothing in return so I'll just treat you the way I wanted to be treated then. Is that okay?" She started.

"Right, sure." Now she's making him nervous. Whatever she means by she's going to treat him like what she wanted to be treated, he nodded anyway. 

"So I'm sorry if I didn't notice your feelings all this time, well, we all know why. Honestly, I'm not leading you on or something but if you must know, if I didn't fell hard for Jongin I would have definitely like you. I mean I already like you but I love Jongin. " She said honestly. She stopped talking as she saw Chanyeol's face grimaced.

"Do you want me to continue?" She asked.

He nodded. So this is what she meant? By honestly sugar coating how she dump him? Cute. He really didn't want to push her cause he knew she's already having a hard time with Jongin as it is. He's not sure himself why he decided to drop the bomb but as how Eunji was taking it he didn't feel that burdened too. Or maybe he should have told her before, before she got married, maybe he still had a chance back then and less complicated.

"I didn't know what you see in me actually and I really appreciate that you liked me and helped me all these years. I value our friendship and again if Jongin isn't my first love I would gladly run away with you. Are you stupid? " She blurted.

"Why?" he asked.

"Why do you even like me? I'm not worth it Chanyeol. Jongin doesn't even like me so why do you? There are so many girls who follow you around and you could have liked one of them. I'm sorry that someone like me is turning you down because I'm an idiot myself. " She said suddenly teary.

"Hey, hey, " Chanyeol moved from his seat to sit beside Eunji who started sobbing. He held her for an embrace. "No pressure. Hush now. I said you didn't have to like me back. Please don't cry." He said. He knew she only have her eyes for Jongin.

"I know but I feel bad for you and for myself for ditching a great guy like you cause I couldn't return your feelings."

"That's fine at least you've been honest with me and if you want us to just forget about tonight then we will. I mean I liked you as a friend too beforehand." He said.

"Dummy, how can I forget if this is the first confession I've received?! Are you being cool right now? Wouldn't it hurt you? I mean if you want to move on first I can give you time then we can be friends again when you're ready." She said and wiped her tears away. She really feel bad for Chanyeol. So this is how it feels like to be confessed to and to turned down someone? This wasn't easy at all. 

She's been turned down before by Jongin when she confessed to him and he just turned her down deliberately and even laughed at her like she just said something funny. It was heartbreaking enough to be turned down and when he laughed at her she felt like infront of him. It wasn't the best experience really and she don't want Chanyeol to feel what she felt before. Although there's really no easy way to break someone's heart so she hoped that she's given him enough reason that he already knew anyway. 

"That's so considerate of you and thank you but no thanks. If you're this nice to on turning me down I might have to try again in the future." He said smiling, not sure if he's convincing himself or what.

"Oh." She just stared at him with wide eyes.

"Just kidding. My next set is up. You're staying 'till then right? " He grinned. 

"Yeah. Of course!" She exclaimed.

"Great! Uhm. Eunji if you want to just forget what I said then you may do so. I honestly wanted us to remain as good friends with no awkward moments. I hope I didn't scare you away. I also wish for your happiness but again if I think Jongin was already going too far I wouldn't stay still." He stood up.

"Thank you for everything and I'm really sorry." She said, giving him a quick tight hug.

 "I need to go back up now."

She just nodded and smiled as she watched him walked up to the mini stage to prepare for his set.