Three - Sleepover

Chasing Pavements

 

Eunji went back to their room after that needed talk that she had with her mother in law.

Just before she closed the door of their room Jongin also came out from the bathroom wearing nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist.

She froze from where she's standing. Her heart just started to beat like crazy like it wanted out from her rib cage.

Jongin smirked at her. "What are you staring at?" He snapped. He went to the closet to take his boxer shorts and a pair of sweatpants and shirt. Some of his clothes are still there but most are in the guestroom's closet. 

Eunji just stood there while Jongin was putting his clothes on. She wanted to run out of the room but her stupid feet won't move. She just stood there and swallowed the lump on when she saw a glimpse of his toned when he slipped his boxers on, then his sweat pants and shirt, he turned sideways to her and she can't tell  if he's looking smug or disgusted with her since she didn't even move from where she was. Maybe Jongin thought she's a ert now too. Goodness.

She let out deep breaths that she didn't realize she's been holding for a while. Was that even possible?

"Why do you look so shocked? It's not like this is the first time you've seen me ." He chuckled. She looked flustered with his comments but she never talked back, more like couldn't.

He walked towards the bed and settled himself to sleep as if he didn't cause her an almost heart attack.

Eunji finally moved quietly to the closet to get a pair of pyjamas and changed in the bathroom. It was true she's seen him before but it was just a one time and it was barely too, it was actually a blur to her. One of the many things she wants to regret.

She was just thankful that they haven't consummated their marriage yet or Jongin may kill her literally if he learned the truth. She's still hoping that they won't go that far of course, the killing part that is.  

She went out of the bathroom and was thinking if she will sleep beside Jongin or will just sleep on the sofa at the library, she sleeps there once in a while working on a project and it was comfortable anyway, if only the heater was working, she made a mental note to remind Chanyeol to check it again sometime. Just a little cold but not that she can't handle. She decided the latter, she would be really shameless if she dared to sleep next to Jongin when she knew he didn't want her, as much as she wants to be with him as close as possible. Today was enough for her dose of Jongin. It's better than nothing at all. She just needs to wake up earlier so Jongin's mom won't worry.

She silently opened the closet again to get a blanket and walked out the door as quiet as possible, seeing Jongin already looking asleep.

~~~

The next day Eunji indeed woke up earlier and went up quietly to their room to return the blanket. She took some clothes and went down to take a bath cause Jongin was still sleeping and didn't want to wake him up. 

The day has gone so fast. Jongin was working on something in the guest room, probably a project since he's table was messy last time. She spent time with Mrs. Kim and it was somehow healing for her as the old lady was a great company. They didn't talk about her and Jongin's relationship anymore as it was somehow depressing so they talked about other things instead. She played her a song that Chanyeol taught her on her acoustic guitar and had tea and made pancakes. 

Evening came and Eunji plans to do the same thing. She sent Mrs. Kim to the guest room first and went down again to watch some tv. She made sure to go up and get her blanket at a later time thinking she may see Jongin's ness again. Well, don't get her wrong she admires Jongin's beautiful body but the timing isn't right. And she doesn't want to make herself look like a fool again like last time. Embarrassing.

She decided to turn off the tv since she can't understand whatever she's watching anyway. She tried reading one of the books she borrowed instead only to realize she's been stuck on the same page after a while. She decided to go up, it's past ten already and hopefully Jongin is already sleeping. She quietly took the same blanket from the dresser's seat where she left it early this morning and went out.

She felt lonely in all honesty.  She learned that having what you want doesn't always mean happiness. She learned the hard way.

Sleeping alone on a  sofa when they have a king sized bed upstairs and the man of her dreams most of all. This isn't what she signed up for but she's hoping that things will get better someday, hopefully soon. She just can't let this relationship go down the hill just like that so she will endure more. She's already done so much, so much that she never thought she could but she did. 

Tomorrow, she promised to approach Jongin more to start a conversation or whatever just to get closer. Someone's got to make a move between the two of them and naturally it should be her. If she needs to beg him to give them a chance to at least try to work things out with her she would.

It's already been a month and she thought it's not enough for Jongin to think things over but he didn't change. If she's not going to do something they might really go nowhere. And maybe Jongin will accept her at least. He doesn't really have to like her immediately, that might be too much to ask but at least for him to accept her, little by little.

She fell asleep with that thought in mind.

A subtle nudge on her shoulder woke her up. She heard her name being called too. She slowly opened her eyes and barely saw who was waking her up, it sounded like Jongin but that's unlikely, so she must be dreaming. The room was pitch dark as she didn't like sleeping with the lights on. It should still be night then. She closed her eyes again but someone shook her shoulder again and this time she really heard her name. It sounded like Jongin though. When she opened her eyes again there was already a dim light coming from the lamp shade on the side table. 

She blinked to adjust her eyes from the sudden light and got surprised when Jongin was leaning down on her. She still couldn't comprehend what's happening. Dreams are nice if Jongin's there. But it feels so real! What surprised her more was when Jongin carried her along with her thick blanket in a bridal style. She gasped in surprise and realized that she's indeed not dreaming.

"Jongin… what's going on?" She asked, still half asleep as Jongin turned off the light again and effortlessly walked out of the library while carrying her. She can even barely move since she was wrapped thoroughly with the blanket.

"Bedroom. Why were you sleeping there?" He asked with an irritated tone as they climbed the stairs.

"No,no, no. You can put me down. It's comfortable there. It's fine." She said not looking at him. "I just thought you needed your privacy…"

"Privacy? When did you learn that? You were barging in my life for forever and now you're talking about privacy? "

"I'm sorry." She just said instead. He's sarcastic again, as per usual. And there she was elated while in his arms, thinking he was concerned about her sleeping in the cold library but his cold words and irate tone says otherwise. Sometimes he's really contradicting. He's hard to please. He's always mad at her like she never did anything right but at the same time carrying her in his arms ever so gently. She just doesn't know what to do with him anymore.

They reached their room and Jongin put her down gently on the bed. "If mom discovers you sleeping there she'll get worried and she may think I'm really maltreating you. Please think first before you do something like that will you?" He said coldly and settled himself on the other side of the bed. What was she thinking? Was she really avoiding him to the point that she's enduring the cold library than their warm bedroom? She should have been better off sleeping with his mother then.

"Sorry." She softly said again. And there she thought she was thinking all better, she inconvenienced him again. She's really stupid.

"Yeah you better be. Just sleep."

~~~

Eunji snuggled closer to the body that was giving her a warm comfort. She didn't remember when she fell asleep again last night and she didn't know when or who started the snuggle part but it felt good so she didn't care, so this is what it feels like to cuddle intimately with someone, with Jongin. Heaven. The scent of his shirt's fabric conditioner and Jongin's scent smells amazing. His arms securely around her and their legs entangled. Ahh. If this is a dream she doesn't want to wake up anymore, not ever. But she knows too well it wasn't. But still, this must be the best morning by far!

Jongin was still sleeping based on his calm heart beat that she can  faintly hear since her face was on his chest. His arms around her and vice versa. If she could only stay like this for longer would be great. But she knew too much happiness is not possible.

And she was right of course. She heard the alarm go off and oh how she wanted to throw the damn clock out of the window that instant but she knew she couldn't do that. This is the moment she's been dreaming of, around Jongin's arms, fuzzy and comfy and she has to get out of it?! Damnit!

She needs to get off the bed but Jongin's grip was still tight so she knew no matter how gentle she tries to remove his arms off of her there's still a chance of him waking up. She decided to just wake him up instead as he needs to go to school too. 

She gently shook his shoulder but he just moaned and just pulled her closer to her surprise. Oh dear, how could she ever resist this rare moment? Five more minutes, she said to herself.

"Jongin..." She said softly. As much as she wanted to pretend that she's still asleep and enjoy the morning cuddle with him, she just couldn't when the alarm went off again after a five minute snooze. Next time she will set it up to snooze for thirty minutes she swears!

"Will you do something about that alarm please?" He said in his low husky voice with his eyes closed and pulled her close again if they're not even close enough. And how can she throw the damn alarm if he's holding her like this? Oh Jongin.

"Jongin we have school today." She said instead and gently pushed him away. 

"Not until later." He just said. He's obviously still half asleep.

"Well good for you but I have to go." She said bitterly. Can she miss her morning class instead? No she can't. Even if she was following Jongin around she never missed her class before and a first time was so tempting that very moment.

She managed to get off from Jongin who's still sleeping she guessed. She the damn alarm completely and took a black skinny ripped jeans and plain white v-neck long sleeves shirt. Winter is almost over so she can dress comfortably now. It's just that it's still a little chilly at night.

She then proceeded to the bathroom for a shower. When she went out Jongin was already somehow awake and sitting at the edge of the bed. He stood up and walked towards the bathroom but stopped in front of her.

"I'll take you to school. Mom prepared breakfast so just wait for me downstairs. I'll just change." He said and continued walking to the bathroom.

She smiled at herself like an idiot as she put on her white dirty chuck taylor. Did something happen to Jongin? Why is he being nice all of a sudden? Did his mom talk to him to be nice to her? Whatever. This must be her lucky day! Did a miracle happen overnight?

She went down and she already finished two pieces of pancake and a cup of coffee when Jongin went down on his still damp hair and his semi-skinny denim pants and black v-neck shirt and his off white chucks too.

How can someone look so good in just a simple attire? She can't help but smile when she realized that they have almost the same outfit.

"Why are you spacing out? Let's go or you're going to be late." He snapped.

"Ah yes." She said and quickly followed him and bid Mrs. Kim a quick goodbye kiss and hug. Signalling the old lady that she'll phone her later and Mrs. Kim just nodded with a satisfactory smile.

~~~

She has a lot of things to do this coming weeks. Finals fast approaching in a few weeks time and she will also start her cooking lesson today. She'd rather be darn busy than to mope around. She can't have the people she loves worry about her all the time. And Bomi was right, she looked terrible. It's embarrassing to show her face to Jongin looking like she was. A glow up is in dire need indeed. She sighs.

She got a text from Kyungsoo last week that he managed to squeeze her in in his class. It's a thrice a week session every late afternoon. Kyungsoo's a great cook. He's also one of Jongin's good friends. 

Jongin's friends are really nice and that's one of the many reasons she's thankful about knowing Jongin because he has great friends that became friends with her too. Lay for instance sometimes helps her with her projects since Lay was in Architecture too. Chanyeol was the same as Jongin and Kyungsoo was taking up Political Science as his pre-law.

Kyungsoo looks scary at first to be honest but he's a sweet and considerate guy when she got to know him better. He's more domesticated than her. He sings so well too and sometimes when Chanyeol practices at the music room in the university she goes there with Kyungsoo to jam with chanyeol. Kyungsoo however is the busiest of them all and cooking was a great stress reliever for him.

After her last class that day she went to the casa to get her car and went back to the university. She still has thirty minutes before the cooking class starts.

She already saw Kyungsoo outside of the room waiting for her. She waived at him smiling. Kyungsoo smiled back with his heart shaped lips which she always finds cute, not that she can tell him or else Kyungsoo might disown her as a friend.

"I'm surprised. I didn't know you have interest in cooking." He exclaimed in amusement. "Or just being wifely?" He knew Eunji for a while now because of Jongin and he knew she's not the domesticated type of person. She's more of an outgoing and hardcore type of girl. 

Hardcore cause she also plays soccer with Lay before. He actually finds it amazing though, he thought she was just just doing that to impress Jongin because Jongin used to play soccer too but the girl can really play. 

She even had a fan before because she was playing with Lay while on practice before even without Jongin who had an injury that time and was forbidden to play soccer that time. He remembered it was an exchange student from China that Lay knows too. 

She also likes playing computer games with Chanyeol. She's one of the boys to simply put it. She's smart and talented in her own way. Jongin is simply a retard for ignoring her for so long.

"Well I kinda have to. They say that to get to a man's heart is through his stomach and I don't want to accidentally poison Jongin one day so thank you so much for having me." She said smiling.

"Wife duties it is. That bastard has been so lucky since he met you." He said laughing.

"Nah. I don't think so. I am the one who's lucky! But please keep this a secret okay?" She said and placed her forefinger on her lips. She didn't want Jongin to know 'cause he might think that she's imposing again than she already is.

"Sure, sure." Kyungsoo nodded and smiled.

She doesn't have her own apron yet so Kyungsoo let her borrow an extra.

The class was a two hour session and she just learned the basics for today like how to properly hold the knife or basic slicing and all the stuff. The basic cooking utensils. The basic condiments and spices and to what dishes they're commonly used.

The person across keeps on shaking the oystershire sauce bottle for whatever reason and unfortunately the sauce has splurted out to Eunji and even gone through the apron and stained her white shirt.

Eunji just gasped and almost glared at the person who looked so embarrassed and uttered an apology to her that she accepted like she had a better choice. And that morning cuddle still has the effect like butterflies and flowers that make her smile like an idiot.

She doesn't have an extra shirt and Kyungsoo's apron was ruined too. Very nice for her first day of cooking.

Kyungsoo rushed to her and helped her remove the apron.

"I'm sorry. I'll just buy you a new one." She said to Kyungsoo.

"No Worries. Not your fault. Do you have an extra shirt though?" He said instead.

Eunji just shook her head. 

"I have one in my car. I'll just get it." He said and excused himself.

They continued what they were doing and after a few minutes Kyungsoo came back with a black round neck tee shirt with a pororo print on front. "Here. Make sure to stay away from any more sauces as I don't have any extra shirts." He joked as he handed her the shirt.

This time Eunji excused herself to change since the smell of the sauce was already lingering.

The session has ended and Eunji thought it was easy. She's looking forward to the next session and 'cause they're going to really cook. Kyungsoo told her that her apron and other things are already included in the tuition fee and she will get hers on the next session. The only thing that's not included are the ingredients and she can bring her own kitchen utensils.

It was past seven when she parted ways with Kyungsoo at the parking area. They decided to get each other a sandwich and coffee at a coffee shop nearby after the class.

When she took her phone from her bag that she left in the car, she was shocked to see a missed call from Jongin. It was thirty minutes ago. She's hesitant to call him back but her curiosity got the best of her so she pressed the call button before she chickens out.

"Where are you?" Jongin growled on the other line. He even picked up on the second ring.

Eunji was taken aback with his reaction. He's angry again. Did something happen?

"I'm on my way home. Why did you call?" she asked.

"Why aren't you picking up your phone?" He asked instead

"I was busy and I left my phone in my car so.. yeah...what's wrong? Is there an emergency?" She explained in panic.

"You already got your car back? Good. Go home now." He said and hung up. 

Eunji was dumbfounded for a second there. What was that all about? He didn't even answer her questions, in a normal occurrence she'd be furious. But it was Jongin.

Whatever happened to that damn cuddle earlier that morning? And she thought they're about to get on a better level this time? And then she receives a call like that? Was Jongin tripping her? Is he trying to drive her insane? 'Cause if he was well then she should congratulate him for a job well done. Is this his way of 'payback time '? Or maybe she's just really stupid to think that there's something good about to happen between them? Back to square one then? Is this going to be the cycle now? One minute he's trying to be nice then next he's ballistic?