Home

Chasing Pavements

 

"Stop staring, will you?!" She said smiling awkwardly at Chanyeol. "It's unsettling you know?"

 

They were at a bar after work, apparently Chanyeol was the person in charge that Jongin told them about. They just had a meeting with him along with Zitao and they went out for dinner right after. Zitao bailed after dinner and Chanyeol invited her for drinks at a bar nearby. 

 

They're sitting across each other with hazy dim lights on, just like the old times with some acoustic music in the background.

 

"It's been like, what seven years? And you've been here for a year now and never visited us? C'mon. That was mean, Eunji!" He snickered.

 

"Im sorry, I got caught up with work. But I really planned to meet up with you guys." Truthfully. She didn't realize she's been putting off meeting Jongin and the guys for too long because of work.

 

Chanyeol smiled at her too. "You better." He continues.

"I missed you. We missed you, a lot. You left without saying goodbye and didn't come back for years. Tell me, why'd you do that?"

 

"Oh are we catching up now?" She asks, sipping on her vodka.

 

"Yeah, you owe us that at least. Jongin wouldn't say a thing and you were MIA all of a sudden. We thought you both were doing just fine before the sembreak." He said seriously.

 

She sighed. "Uhm. Things happened and I-." Is all she could say. "I don't know. I just had to leave back then and give Jongin the freedom that he wants so bad." What can she tell him more than that really?

 

"Are you sure he wants that?" Chanyeol knows for sure that wasn't the case. Jongin has been faithful to Eunji even without her around despite being surrounded by other women. 

 

A lot has happened while she was away and he wished she was there for Jongin during those hard times. He liked Eunji but he was really disappointed with her abrupt disappearance back then. He thought Jongin was such a huge mess after she left and nowhere to be found.

 

"Did you guys already talk? I mean not the business talk, okay?"

 

"We're still about to settle things soon." She sighed again. "Can we talk about something else? How about you? How are you doing these days?"

 

Chanyeol obliged for a change of subject. He understands she's not ready to talk about her relationship with Jongin yet but he hoped they'll get back together soon, for Jongin's sake at least.

 

There's a lot of things he wanted to tell her but he'll save that for next time, especially it mostly involved about Jongin. And if the two haven't talked yet then Chanyeol will leave that conversation for themselves.

 

"Oh well. I'm not married yet but I'm dating someone right now. I'll let you meet her some other time." He beamed.

 

"I'm happy for you. Then what about the other guys?" She genuinely wanted to know their whereabouts.

 

"Hmm. Kyungsoo is with us in the company, in our Legal department but he's in the main branch in Busan. Yixing is back in China after graduation but we meet up whenever he's in Korea."

 

~~~

 

Days passed by so fast. It's already Friday before Eunji could even realize. She had a scheduled meeting with Kim Builders earlier and Jongin wasn't still around, even though she remembered Jongin said that he'll be back by Thursday, she then learned from Chanyeol that Jongin won't be back for a while because of an emergency back home.

 

Apparently Jongin's mother had undergone a heart surgery. That's all Chanyeol knows and he said he hasn't heard from Jongin either since last Wednesday, and now she's worried like crazy.

 

She went home early that night because she was too restless about the news to stay out. She's torn between calling Jongin and driving down to Busan herself to be honest. Mrs. Kim is like her second mother, she left without saying anything to her and she'd be too ashamed to just walk in there just like that after what she's done. It's one of the sacrifices she did to move on.

 

She was holding the thought of what's the best thing to do about the situation when her doorbell rang.

 

It was Jongin, looking haggard as if he hasn't slept for ages.

 

She opens the door wider and he gets inside without both of them saying a word.

 

He settled himself on the couch and she sat next to him. She eyed the digital wall clock and shows it's already past nine in the evening.

 

"Have you eaten?" She asked. Adjusting to her seat to slightly face him, not too close yet not so far either.

 

Jongin turned to her and smiled wearily. For a moment there, Eunji wants to offer him a hug. "I'm okay."

 

"You don't sound like it. You look terrible too." She comments.

 

Jongin broke into a better looking smile this time to Eunji's relief.

 

"Coffee? Tea?" She offers.

 

"Tea please."

 

She nodded and was about to stand up to make them tea but Jongin grabbed her arm to make her sit again. She just gave him a confused look but obliged anyway. 

 

"I need you to come back with me to Busan. Mom was sick and it'd be great if she saw you there." He said.

 

His voice husky and Eunji again felt the need to comfort him. Up close like this, she saw his growing stubbles, his eyes almost bloodshot and she thought he looked older since the last time they saw each other.

 

"I understand. How is she?"

 

"She's hanging there pretty well… She'd be delighted to see you again."

 

"Alright. When are we leaving?"

 

"Tonight if possible, I'd like her to see you the moment she wakes up after the operation."

 

She nodded. "Okay. I'll just make you tea and I'll pack my things. Give me a few minutes."

 

Eunji knows how much Jongin loves his parents. He even married her before because they asked him too. And seeing him almost soulless like that makes her feel so bad for him. His family was her family too. Jongin didn't even have to ask twice and she will go with him.

 

She's not sure how Jongin was when she was away. She didn't hear any news about him or anyone related after she left. She thought she needed to cut all ties between her and Jongin to move on, she didn't really consider other people around her back then because she was so hurt and dejected to worry about others, thinking what she did was the right thing, maybe she was wrong again.

 

~~~ 

 

"Aren't we taking the train? We can still make it to the last trip and it's faster. You can't drive in that state." She asked as they were riding the elevator down to the basement.

 

"We have a driver, thanks for the worry, love." He simply said and guided her off the lift to his car.

 

They've been in her apartment for an hour or so and he didn't mention that a driver was waiting?!

 

Jongin simply placed her backpack in the trunk and guided her to the backseat, they were sitting next to each other.

 

She handed Jongin the blue quilt she's been holding after they're settled in the backseat. Jongin just gave instructions to his driver that they're ready to go and turned off the lights in the car. They're using an SUV and Eunji thought it's nice because it's comfy for a four hour drive.

 

Jongin took the quilt and reached out to her to pull her closer, until she's already leaning on his side, his right arm still around her shoulder. She just turned to him with a sigh and adjusted to his preferred position in a more comfortable way as Jongin did the liberty to pull up the quilt for the both of them. 

 

"Eunji, I know you have so many questions and I did you wrong but when we get home can you please pretend that we're okay for mom's sake?" Jongin said almost whispering but still comprehensible to Eunji.

 

Eunji just stared at Jongin for a moment before answering. 

 

"Hmm. We'll talk when we get there. I know you're tired. You didn't even have to come yourself just to pick me up. You should have just called." She said as a matter of fact.

 

Jongin's eyes were already shut and his breathing pattern seems better than the erratic ones a couple minutes ago, again to Eunji's relief.

 

"I know but I wanted to for good measures." He chuckled a bit. "I'm glad my effort didn't go to waste. Thank you for coming with me."

 

"Shhh. Just sleep. We'll talk later."

 

"I'm not dreaming right? You're really with me now right?" He asked, looking down at her.

 

She looked up to him, stared back at his equally hazy gaze and smiled a little. 

 

They're both sleepy and tired obviously.

 

"Are you trying to be cute Mr. Kim?" She whispered.

 

Jongin just lazily smirked and leaned down to give her a chaste kiss on the lips, Eunji remained unmoving.

 

"You're too submissive in this dream, I like it. But I like the feisty you better."

 

Eunji sighed and brought a hand to Jongin's nape to pull him down, closer to her face and gave him a not so innocent kiss. His lips were almost the same as she remembered, full and possessive as he claims hers. The feeling was a little different though, this time was more assertive and longing until they're both out of breath and simply tired and sleepy to continue as much as they both wanted to.

 

Jongin pulled her even closer to his chest, planted a kiss on her forehead with a content smile this time.

 

"I love you." He whispers before they both fall asleep.

 

~~~

 

Eunji woke up from an unusual and yet familiar scent. She opened her eyes to the darkness and a realization that she's in Jongin's arms in bed. His faint breath on her forehead and his steady heartbeat against her palm. 

 

This feels too familiar. Did she travel back in time?

 

She closed her eyes again and indulged to the comfort and warmth that is Jongin.

 

She remembered how she actually took one of Jongin's sweatshirts and brought it to China. She was glad she did because she was having a difficult time sleeping ever since she arrived there, everything felt foreign as it was. Jongin's sweatshirt was her only companion to help her sleep at least until Jongin's scent faded.

 

She'd be a hypocrite if she'd say she didn't miss Jongin at all. She does, especially her early days in China. The process was painfully gradual, until she doesn't miss him anymore, not all at once but more lesser and lesser.

 

She dated a couple times and enjoyed it but somehow she's become more mindful in each relationship she was in. Whenever she breaks up with the guy, she admitted that it was her fault. She just couldn't give herself fully anymore.

 

~~~

 

Eunji woke up the second time feeling more refreshed and it's already morning upon checking her wrist watch on the bedside table. She's alone on the large bed. The room seemed familiar but not really. Is she really back home? Her and Jongin's home?

 

She noticed a piece of paper with Jongin's writing on the bedside table, 'Love, breakfast's ready. I'll be back before 8am.'' it says. Eunji can't help but chuckle a little. Love, he said that he loves her last night too, or did she mishear it?

 

Eunji wouldn't know what to make out of their current situation. It's just confusing for her. Why's Jongin acting the way he does? Did he really love her? Just thinking about Jongin getting his revenge doesn't sit well with her, Jongin's not the type at all that she's beating herself up just even thinking about the idea. Jongin wouldn't stoop that low as if he didn't have better things to do. And she heard from Chanyeol that Jongin's a very busy man.

 

What bothered Eunji so much was the news that Jongin's father passed away from a car accident, the same time she left for China. The guilt and pain that she felt after hearing the news last time was unexplainable. She could have been there for Jongin, for his family, for their family because his family was hers too. But she wasn't there because she's busy wallowing in her own selfish pain.

 

And now, hearing about his mother, Eunji won't let the opportunity pass again to be there, not only because of Jongin but because they're supposed to be a family. The Kims took care of her like their own daughter back then and it's just right for her to take care of them too. Right?

 

She got off the bed and walked round the room. It is indeed their masters bedroom. The nostalgia came rushing through her veins.

 

Some furniture weren't there anymore, probably to keep up with the room theme. When they got the house for their wedding before, everything was in a rush so she wasn't really able to make it more personal but now it actually looks more like her style. Minimalistic aesthetic. A combination of white, chambray and chalky blue with light undertones of wooden furnishings. Very specific, similar to that design that she planned for this very house. 

 

Jongin must have seen her blueprints and sketchbook that she left before about her dream house. Did he make it happen for her? If so, she can't wait to see the entire house!

 

She toured the house after taking a quick shower and having breakfast and to say she's impressed would be an understatement! Jongin indeed followed her design sketches, not only that but he even improved it in more ways that she actually liked and she's very pleased. 

 

The entire place is way bigger now with tall gate panels surrounding it.

 

The lot area was extended generously and there's a small garden at the back now, with a couple of plants and vines that she's not really familiar with but they looked pretty. They also have a pool with an entrance to their dining area. And the most exciting part is the lower ground floor that has an entertainment room, like their own little movie house with a mini bar and a pool table. Another bedroom and a pantry, and an exit passage up to the garden area.

 

They also have a garage now, extended from their old driveway. She noticed two cars were parked in the driveway, one was the one they rode back from Seoul - a black Audi SUV that looks like a Q5 model, she's familiar 'cause she's been eyeing that model when she arrived to Korea and vying to get a car but Yifan was being pesky about it so she ended up getting an Audi A4 instead. The other car looked like a Porsche Cayenne in black too. 

 

Ah, she liked Jongin's taste in cars too. Not because they're expensive but because she likes SUVs for some reason. And when she opened the garage, she's not even surprised to see the only car in there, it was her old car or rather her old compact SUV, a Hyundai Tucson model 2007 in black. Isn't that amazing?

 

Yes, he definitely built her dream house, scratch that, her dream home is what it is in front of her eyes.

 

She almost teared up if only she wasn't surprised by a sudden hug from behind by no other than Jongin.

 

"I hope you didn't mind some changes I made at our home." He said.

 

Eunji was almost speechless but she knows it's not the time for that. She wanted to know why Jongin did all the trouble for all these? Because everything seemed like a dream for her, a dream come true! And she so wanted the answers so bad.

 

"I love it! If this is all for me, I love it." She said, looking at him and leaned back to his embrace for a moment before turning to face him, Jongin grabbed her hands again.

 

"Of course, it's all for you."

 

"Thank you, but why do all this? I wasn't even here anymore to begin with?"

 

"I wanted to surprise you when you come back." He stated seriously, eyes fully lingering on hers. He cupped her face and leaned down to kiss her lips and Eunji can't help but oblige. It wasn't as passionate as last night in the car but she liked it either way.

 

She liked his kisses, as much as she didn't want to admit. She's starting to go back to her old routine and she doesn't even mind now anymore. Jongin wasn't totally out of her system after all. But there are a lot of things that needed to be cleared first.

 

"Jongin, I think it's time that we talk seriously about us now."

 

Jongin just took her hand and had her facing him. "Yes we will, I've got so much to tell you. But right now we have to go Mom first." He said, taking her hand and guided her inside the house.