One - Married Life

Chasing Pavements

 

Eunji woke up alone on her bed again for the upteenth time. If she's single then that would be understandable but she's been married for a month now and her husband has been sleeping in the guest room since their first night.

She somehow regrets what she's done. But that's all in the past now and she can only move forward, not backwards.

She's done crying silently for the past few weeks and now her tears seemed to have been drained. This wasn't the marriage that she was expecting.

But, really, what would she expect?

She was hoping of waking up each morning beside her husband. Both of them tangled with each other while Jongin whispering sweet nothings to her to wake her up with light kisses.

That's her dream and still a dream up to this moment.

She decided to get off from the king sized bed before she starts crying again. She felt the familiar sadness that's eating her away for weeks now.

She's always been a cheery and an optimistic kind of a person but lately she's been so down and happiness is nowhere to be found.

For some known reason she's also feeling lazy about everything.

All her fault and she knows it so well.

She went to the bathroom and took a long warm bath. These days, this is the only thing that relaxes her.

After the much needed bath, she headed downstairs to get to the university. 

Yeah. She's still in college. Same as her husband. She's taking up Architecture and Jongin is in Civil Engineering. 

They're really meant to be, aren't they? Touché.

Nope, she didn't take Architecture just so she can get closer to Jongin. She would have taken Engineering too but there's just too much Math in there that she can handle. And oh boy how wrong she was thinking that Architecture is in any way easier.

She initially wanted to take up Arts but since Jongin was taking up engineering, evidently, she really wanted to be near him as much as possible. But now, since she's graduating in a year she has grown to love her course and she could say she's doing it with flying colors. She loves what she does, designing, drawing and architecture is so much more than that, the nitty-gritty part of it. The long hours in the drawing room at the university, sometimes even takes up days just to complete a project. This is her passion now and she's excited to finish it after five years and land a job in a nice big company. That's her dream. Well, next to Jongin of course. Jongin will always be the first priority.

They're attending the same university but it never once happened that she and Jongin went to school together. She wished they did, especially these times that she didn't have a car, it's in the casa for a week now and she's going to pick it up tomorrow. For now she needs to hurry to get onto the next bus because she's going to be late if not.

They have a few classes together since their courses are parallel to each other but he never glanced at her whenever they're in the same room, like he didn't know her and that hurts her a lot. All she could do is glance at him secretly with sadness.

At least before, Jongin doesn't really avoid her whenever she follows him like a proud stalker that she was but now he's always in a hurry to leave whenever she's around, like she's a plague that has to be avoided at all cost.

She also stopped hanging out with his friends for a while now, they became her friends too, eventually, while following Jongin around wherever but now she felt like Jongin needed his friends more than she does so she just distanced herself and that leaves her hanging out alone in the library. 

She realized that Jongin's friends are her only friends too aside from her best friend Bomi. She didn't have the time to make new friends of her own since she kept on following Jongin. Her best friend Bomi is out of the country as of the moment so she's basically alone for now. 

She's living with Jongin now in one freaking roof but he's way farther now than he already was before. Far from what she's expecting. Well, she didn't expect him to like her that quickly but at least she's expecting him to try to talk to her, like a real conversation which never once happened after that night. Whenever she tries a conversation she always ended up being ignored.

Jongin was popular at school even when they were in grade school and high school. He's good looking, smart, and a dancer too. He was perfect for every girl's eyes and a dream boyfriend.

She's known him for as long as she could remember. She's always been behind him at a distance. He's like her forever crush and first love rolled into one. That thought always makes her foolishly smile.

She knew how Jongin loves dancing and soccer.

She knew how he's addicted to fried chicken and mint choco flavoured ice cream.

She knew how he likes dogs and cried when his first dog died.

She knew a lot about him and she knew he never knew that, or that's what she thought.

Their parents were close since they live in the same neighborhood. She always goes to Jongin's house before because his mom likes her so much. Jongin was an only child and so was her. 

Although she seldom see Jongin whenever she comes over it's alright cause his mom was so nice and has been treating her like she's her own daughter. She would consider herself lucky if Jongin passed by the kitchen or living room from time to time. 

Whenever she goes there it's either Jongin was not around or hiding in his room. She was aware that Jongin doesn't like her going in his house, well, he never liked her in the first place. But she still does. She was so stubborn and how she regrets it now so much, if only she stopped back then, she wouldn't be in this mess she's in right now. If only she was content in watching him from afar. She inconvenienced him so much even when she was younger and now she even dragged him to this mess. If only she knew better...

Jongin knew she liked her. She was always vocal about her feelings to Jongin and everyone knew too. 

She got used to her nickname as Jongin's stalker and she never minded, it was true after all. A proud stalker indeed. Oh how she hates herself!

And when she finally got the courage to confess to him for the first time, it was on their prom night and she got turned down of course. He even laughed at her as if she told him a ridiculous story.

"Not because I never reprimand you on following me around means I could like you, I'm sorry Eunji but this won't work. I wish you to stop following me moving forward."

She remembered him say. Oh how painful that was. She still feels her heart tightening whenever she remembers, funnily she can't even blame him. Because she knew she got nothing better to offer Jongin aside from her undying love for him that maybe creeped Jongin out, but she tried it anyway. Stupidity is her middle name.

She had no date that night cause she only wants Jongin so after she embarrassed herself in front of him she hurriedly went home alone and cried a river for her first official heartbreak.

Of course, being stubborn as she is. Let's just say that she's not really good at listening to what other people say, or when Jongin told her to stay away she didn't follow really well cause she still followed him around after a while of moping around.

She still cheered for him in every dance competition he joined. Stayed on the bleachers alone every hot sunny afternoon whenever he practiced soccer with Lay. Attended every gigs and events he's on.. and so on…

Along the stalking moments, eventually she became friends with his friends who're really nice and good looking guys too. If only she fell for someone else other than Jongin...

Jongin once again, let her be.

Now that they're married he still does.

He always does.