III: How Have You Been?

A Part Of Me Is You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter III:
 

2020

 

Song Joong Ki approached the troubled boy, kneeling on one knee to level his height. "Hey, brave man. Can't find your parents?" he asked.

 

The young boy looked up a little to meet the eyes of the older man, "Can you help me?" the boy said, holding a sob.

 

Joong Ki gave a reassuring smile to the boy, nodding. "What's your name?"

 

"Jung Soo," the boy politely answered.

 

Joong Ki stood up from his position, and offered a hand to the boy, "Well, good thing I got plenty of time in my hand. Let's get you to your parents, Jung Soo." The boy nodded, sniffing.

 

Jung Soo took the man's hand and held it tight, afraid he'd be lost and alone again.

 

Joong Ki felt a sting in his heart when Jung Soo held his hand so tight, he felt the boy's fear despite the brave front act he's sporting so well at his very young age. "Where did you get separated with your parents?"

 

"Ice cream shop," he said.

 

"Um, good." Joong Ki smiled, but in his head he was already thinking of how to find Jung Soo's parents without anyone recognizing him. "What else were there aside from ice cream shop?" he asked, hoping the kid could give a good landmark.

 

"Mom was buying me ice cream," he started, talking adorably like how young kids does. "I saw a playground," he added sniffing twice in between sentences. "I went near the playground," he rubbed his free arm on both eyes, wiping the tears that managed to escape his eyes. "And I got lost."

 

Joong Ki, upon hearing the boy's story, started to lead their way to the indoor playground he thought Jung Soo might be referring to.

 

Sniffing hard, Jung Soo added one last thing, "Mom must be really worried." Hearing how the boy thought of his mother's feelings, he knew Jung Soo's family must've been through a lot of hardships. For some reasons, he felt a pain and affection creeping inside of him.

 

A sudden uplift of the boy's spirit when he got a glimpse of his mother. "It's mom," he said. Not too far from them, a lady in her early thirties was worriedly searching for her lost child. "Mom!" he called out loud and the lady turned to the direction of her son's voice.

 

Her dark waves spun and fell down to her shoulders as she turned.

 

Jung Soo let go of Joong Ki's hand and run to his mother. "Chae Won", his head recognized her faster than he kid could reach his mother. "It's Chae Won", he repeated in his head. He was rooted from where he was standing, and everything else around him faded except for Jung Soo running towards his mother. Like in the movies, what was happening in front of him seemed to be in slow-motion.

 

He wanted to turn away so bad, but he's body won't do as told. No, deep in his mind, he doesn't want to. Probably his conscious and subconscious mind were fighting somewhere inside his head. He felt as if his feet started to grow some roots and planted himself right then and there. Without moving a muscle, he watched as Chae Won embraced her son, worry started to fade and relief was evident on her face.

 

She didn't even notice him, not yet. Watching her like this was his first time; she isn't just Chae Won anymore but a mother to a child. He patiently waited, he doesn't even know what nor why he was still staying. Sending Jung Soo back to her was enough and she didn't have to see him just so he could receive a gratitude. But still, he waited.

 

Slowly pulling back to look at her son in the eyes and then searching through his whole body. "Are you hurt?" she asked and the boy shook his head 'no'. "You must be so scared, I'm sorry. Mom will do better."

 

Jung Soo nodded, "Me too, I'm sorry mom."

 

Chae Won placed both hands to each side of her son's face, "It's okay. Were you alone? Did someone help you?" she asked and let her eyes search the area to see for herself the answer to her own question.

 

Her eyes met his. "Joong Ki", her mind called his name. She was surprised yet she managed not to show it. Both hid their feelings too well, perks of being an actor.

 

"Um. That man," Jung Soo pointed out to Joong Ki who was still rooted from the same place. "He helped me. We should thank him mom." Jung Soo pulled Chae Won's arm twice making her come back to her senses.

 

"Oh. We should." Her response was unsure.

 

Jung Soo took small steps dragging his mother with him. Joong Ki, too, started moving to meet them halfway.

 

"Mister, thank you for helping me find my mom," the boy bowed at him and then asked for his hand. "Can you give me your hand?"

 

Joong Ki still felt surreal and responded a bit late. Opening his palm for the little boy, he waited as Jung Soo took something from his pocket.

 

"Here," the boy puts a lucky star origami in the man's palm. "My mom makes me this when I do good," Chae Won looked at her son admiringly, while Joong Ki turned his gaze to her, then he thought to himself, "being a mother is one of those things that suits you".

 

Chae Won shifted her eyes towards Joong Ki and he instantly blinked his gaze away from her. He looked down to Jung Soo, smiling, "Um, thanks. I'll keep this."

 

Jung Soo nodded at him and turned to look at his mother, "Mom, aren't you saying thanks?" The little boy asked, tugging his mother's cardigan.

 

"Thank you," she said formally as if they were never once close.

 

The way she talked so formally to him felt like he was stung. Without much thought he replied in the same manner, as if they never knew each other. Yet suddenly, "How have you been?" those words slipped through his mouth. Not gonna lie, deep down, he wanted to ask her that, the moment they faced each other.

 

Chae Won felt like running away so bad. She was scared and wasn't prepared to meet him again, let alone an unexpected one. She couldn't say a word of response, she was too troubled by the fact that she's in one space with this man. The man she learned to resent so much at one point of her life. That was long time ago, thanks to those beside her, she learned to let go of the hate she had for him. Even still, she was not yet welcome to the possibility of getting connected with him in any way, big or small.

 

Jung Soo noticed his mother being unresponsive so he asked, "Mister, do you know my mother?" Switching his gaze from her mother to the man.

 

"Um, we know each other." Joong Ki answered.

 

The boy smiled, amazed, "Wow." Thinking for a moment, he came up with a good idea. "Then will you play with us?"

 

"He can't," Chae Won opposed instantly. Confused as to why, Jung Soo gave his mother a questioning look. Chae Won turned her attention back to her son who was still holding her cloth and explained, "He's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter