VII: Behind Everyone Else

A Part Of Me Is You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The early marriage of Joong Ki and Ha Jin was smoothly sailing.

 

After that day when she voiced her frustration after knowing he booked a hotel at Daegu on Chae Won's birthday, they promised to let go of other things and focus on them.

 

"It might not work and might not last for five years but it might also work and last even more." That was her sentiment and he too promised to behave well.

 

In the first place, it was his decision that lead them to where they were. She had gave him all the authority on what path they would take, and he chose to go on with the marriage.

 

The least he could do was to live the way he should corresponding his decision. And that was to be a husband.

 

It was year 2018 when the conflict between Ha Jin and Joong Ki started.

 

"You do know I am not the family oriented person. I made that clear even before we got married."

 

Their argument started.

 

"I am not trying to change you nor your views in life but this shouldn't be too much to ask. More than I, you wanted this to work." He was equally frustrated.

 

Joong Ki and Ha Jin had just got home after attending a family event. She was uncomfortable as she never grew into that kind of environment.

 

Ha Jin had always strive hard for herself. She had always had to think of herself first. She did not get to have that ideal family background. She was not bitter but she was not comfortable with that kind of environment as well.

 

And he knew that.

 

They were opposite.

 

Joong Ki was the type to be attached to his family. He grew into a family full of love and affection. Growing up going to church together. Growing up to celebrate special events together.

 

It was a huge challenge in their marriage that they never thought would take a great toll on them.

 

"I'm sorry if this is pressuring you." He apologized.

 

She sighed, "I'm sorry if I'm making it hard on you."

 

Despite them being on either end of the rope, they would still easily resolve their arguments. Well, at least it was on the early months of their marriage.

 

Midway of the year 2018, his parents visited their home, it became a very stressful event for Ha Jin.

 

Their visit became a little frequent. His parents would visit once a month and sometimes would stay over for the night.

 

She was never getting used to it, instead she felt like her privacy was being overstepped.

 

They had an argument at the middle of the night. His parents was on the next room.

 

Ha Jin walked out from his room and unlocked her room with a key.

 

He followed and grabbed her hand stopping her halfway from entering her room. "If you do that, you know all this act would be bound to end. Is that what you really want?"

 

She was trying to get off from his hold. "You kept pushing me to my limits, your parents kept overstepping our privacy. What do you expect me to do?"

 

Joong Ki withdrawn his hand that was gripping her arm and placed it on his waist. He brought the other hand to his forehead. He was lost of words.

 

"If you really want this to work, you better ask your parents to stop coming over. You better tell your family to expect nothing from me when there's this," she gestured her hand in front of them, "this family gatherings you all so thirst about."

 

She exhaled heavily in frustration, "And what's with the frequent grandchildren talks? Do they see me as a baby making machine?"

 

"You do know it's normal for normal married couples."

 

"And we're not a normal couple!"

 

"Which only you and I know."

 

Their eye contact was full of intensity. They were focused on each other that they failed to notice someone was already listening.

 

"What is it that only the two of you know?"

 

The young couple showed a hint of panic. "Mother," she whispered.

 

"Mom," he neared his mother. "It's just a small argument." He cooed, "Why are you still up?"

 

His mother was not buying it. She sensed there was something they were hiding. Something that shouldn't be hidden. She looked at them inquisitively.

 

"Mom"

 

His mother decided not to press for an answer. Yet, it did not mean she would not inquire further in the coming days.

 

The next morning they were gathered early in the dinning area. The elder woman was still skeptical while the older man seemed to be oblivious of what happened last night.

 

The younger couple on the other hand was trying their best to act normal.

 

"I don't mean to invade your privacy but I noticed the door opposite yours was always locked. Can I ask why?" The older woman asked.

 

Ha Jin gulped down hoping it will wash away the nervousness she felt inside.

 

He held on Ha Jin's hand that was beneath the table. "It's messy inside, we are planning to renovate it into a small studio, to practice our scripts."

 

"I see," his mother simply said, but still she wasn't convinced.

 

The truth was, it was Ha Jin's room. They had been using separate room from the get go. She would only sleep with him when his parents are around or on rare occasions where they embraced their situation as a wife and husband —an adult would have their personal needs too, and being married, doing it once in a while wasn't wrong at all.

 

From that moment on, they would always feel like walking on eggshells whenever they are in the company of his family, not that they haven't already from their previous visits, but with them almost getting caught, they needed to be extra careful.

 

After that night, they too, were doubting his mother was completely unsuspicious of them.

 

 

 

Late 2018, Ha Jin had had enough. She moved out of their house and sought privacy in her previous home. She felt like she was losing herself and she and Joong Ki were losing their good relationship. She did not want ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter