VIII: Between Families

A Part Of Me Is You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2019

 

It was during new year's day when Joong Ki came to his family's home to visit. He spent the eve alone at his flat.

 

It had been roughly two months since he and Ha Jin lived separately. His family still hasn't know about it.

 

He managed to find ways to cover their failed marriage. Though, he wasn't sure if they're not suspicious of him.

 

He was watching television when a re-run of Chae Won's 2013 drama started playing.

 

He was just staring. Her smile was the brightest. She was the prettiest when she smile, he thought.

 

It pained him as he remembered how the last image of her was crying. He remembered as if it only happened recently.

 

He hurt her.

 

"She was really shining then," his mother sat next to him bringing him back to reality.

 

He changed the channel as if he was just browsing the television and hummed a soft 'umm' as his only response.

 

"Do you have anything you want to tell me?"

 

The man looked at his mother. His mother's gaze was very affectionate. A mother's affection to her child.

 

He couldn't help but apologize, "Mom, I'm sorry."

 

His mother smiled, a soft one.

 

That made him break down. He started to be teary but he tried not to say more.

 

"I'll be waiting until you're ready to say it." She rubbed circles on the back of his palm. "I don't know what exactly it is but I know there's something heavy in there," she patted his chest gently with her other hand.

 

He sobbed. He knew he was being unfair to his parents. They deserve to know.

 

"Mom, I married Ha Jin not for love."

 

His mother's expression showed surprise and disappointment at the same time. The worse she thought when she heard them fight the last time was that they fell out of love.

 

The older woman did not say anything.

 

"We broke up even before the wedding but I was a coward and went on with it."

 

Mrs. Song pulled his head and leaned it on her shoulder. She patted his back as he continued to sobbed.

 

He pulled back when he was done drying his tears.

 

"And why are you crying?" His mother asked. They were now sitting with their body slightly tilted to face each other.

 

Joong Ki sighed, "I don't know."

 

"Look into your heart, the answer should be there."

 

 

As the moon reached its highest, the night getting darker, Joong Ki decided to settle in for the night.

 

On his way to his old room, he noticed his older brother at the dinning with two wine glasses. The closest to him was half filled with the red liquid while the one sitting further from him was left untouched.

 

A swift look from his glass of wine to Joong Ki was enough signal to make the younger man join him for a glass.

 

Joong Ki settled himself across his brother. "What's this about?" He smiled.

 

"I think I am more in the position to be asking that." He retorted.

 

Joong Ki furrowed confuse.

 

"I heard you're in a troubled marriage?"

 

He sneered, "Mom's not the type to tell something behind my back. So I guess, you were eavesdropping?"

 

"In my defense, you happened to be talking while I was on my way to get my son some water."

 

They started with small talks before he got comfortable in bringing up the topic he knew his brother was waiting for.

 

"I never thought it would be this hard. I trusted my relationship with Ha Jin, I thought we could at least get this going for five years."

 

"Why five years though?"

 

He sighed. "Maybe that's enough time for the fans? Maybe it's the enough age where public would stop scrutinizing us with every thing we do, and just let us be without turning their backs on us?"

 

"I don't know, I'm not sure." Joong Ki added.

 

The older brother sipped on his glass before he pointed out his opinion. "Well I think Ha Jin went for it because of age, who knows you guys might work again. And

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter